ADVERTISEMENT

When we finish this season 3-9

KnightNite

Bronze Knight
Sep 25, 2007
Denver, CO
Can we finally have a serious conversation about moving on from Gus?

ChocolateFrosty.jpg

school can’t afford it…we just have to hope he’ll resign, but don’t think he’s self aware enough to do so.

We get Big XII paychecks now, we can afford it.
You do understand that we don't get a full revenue share, right? We got $18MM last year and will receive $19MM this year - along with Houston, Cincy, and BYU. By comparison, the existing members & former PAC 12 schools will receive about $42MM. Things will change next year when the new Fox deal kicks in and all schools receive equal distribution. That's good but our operating expenses for the entire Athletic Department have also increased. We're kinda stuck the remainder of this year.

Gus makes $5.5MM until his contract expires after the 2027 season. We owe him 75% of this guaranteed salary ($4.1MM) for each year if we terminate him without cause. Spending 21% of our conference revenue this year isn't a small thing. A window of opportunity will open. I just don't think we're there yet.

You do understand that we don't get a full revenue share, right? We got $18MM last year and will receive $19MM this year - along with Houston, Cincy, and BYU. By comparison, the existing members & former PAC 12 schools will receive about $42MM. Things will change next year when the new Fox deal kicks in and all schools receive equal distribution. That's good but our operating expenses for the entire Athletic Department have also increased. We're kinda stuck the remainder of this year.

Gus makes $5.5MM until his contract expires after the 2027 season. We owe him 75% of this guaranteed salary ($4.1MM) for each year if we terminate him without cause. Spending 21% of our conference revenue this year isn't a small thing. A window of opportunity will open. I just don't think we're there yet.
UCF will lose a lot more than $12M by keeping him. Boosters will stop donating, fans will stop going to the games and recruiting will take a big blow.

What if, and I'm just spit balling here, we use the money we made on the Josh Heuple and Danny White buyout plus the money we "saved" in the early years of Gus's contract plus the additional money from the Big XII to buy out Gus.

What if, and I'm just spit balling here, we use the money we made on the Josh Heuple and Danny White buyout plus the money we "saved" in the early years of Gus's contract plus the additional money from the Big XII to buy out Gus.
Wasn't that used to keep us afloat during the covid revenue collapse?

Reactions: Robert0122
Things will change next year when the new Fox deal kicks in and all schools receive equal distribution. That's good but our operating expenses for the entire Athletic Department have also increased. We're kinda stuck the remainder of this year.
I'm arguing for firing him at the end of the season if things don't turn around and we end up 3-9 (as the title indicates)
So yeah, we'll have the money then.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
We can’t terminate cause he sucks? He defrauded the university by pretending to be a coach from the last decade.
Coaching is one of the only professions where its practitioners are paid million$ when they show they’re incompetent at getting the job done. Their contracts should have a low base salary with significant performance bonuses built-in when they demonstrate exemplary outcomes. Of course we know competition drives the current structure. But has that structure ever proven to be even remotely beneficial to the institutions paying them?

If you want something bad enough you find a way to get money. Even if you have to get a 20 year loan of $40 mil to cover cost of his buyout and pay another coach, you do that. $2 mil a year with no penalty for paying off early. The money is there.

If you want something bad enough you find a way to get money. Even if you have to get a 20 year loan of $40 mil to cover cost of his buyout and pay another coach, you do that. $2 mil a year with no penalty for paying off early. The money is there.
What happens when that new coach doesn't work out? Do you then add yet more debt?

Dino Babers!

What happens when that new coach doesn't work out? Do you then add yet more debt?

Dino Babers!
You are literally the only person that keeps saying ‘Dino Babers’. Did you just awake from a cryogenic freeze or something? This is not 2015-16. Literally not a single person has brought his name up this decade (except for you in like four other threads).

He is paid to coach a winning program if the record ends up 3-9 coming after barely squeaking into a bowl game last year, doesn't seem like Gus is doing his part. Isn't that enough to fire for and show just cause.

He is paid to coach a winning program if the record ends up 3-9 coming after barely squeaking into a bowl game last year, doesn't seem like Gus is doing his part. Isn't that enough to fire for and show just cause.
I think we should ask Coach Rick Patino for some help on this one.
Can you guys start gathering a riding crop, ladies lingerie, mannequin leg, stick of butter and a ball-gag?

The real solution that saves money and face is for Gus to be a CEO and hire an OC that can also be HC in the wings. Give full control of the offense and play calling to the OC and focus on what he does best.

But it seems Gus is too stubborn and egotistical to do that.
Best idea I’ve seen!! Possibly an OC and DC?

The real solution that saves money and face is for Gus to be a CEO and hire an OC that can also be HC in the wings. Give full control of the offense and play calling to the OC and focus on what he does best.

But it seems Gus is too stubborn and egotistical to do that.
I said the same thing a few weeks ago. What if the AD forced him to do this? If he doesn’t like it he can quit. Does it work that way? Can the AD call the shots like that?

Reactions: Guinness_Knight
I said the same thing a few weeks ago. What if the AD forced him to do this? If he doesn’t like it he can quit. Does it work that way? Can the AD call the shots like that?
Was thinking the same. Terry can hire a legit OC; tell Gus that the new OC has full control of the offense; accept or resign.

This is the only way to get the fans excited about the program. I literally don’t give a shit at this point because it’s nose diving and can’t see how it improve. Too old to invest in intentional nonsense.

Was thinking the same. Terry can hire a legit OC; tell Gus that the new OC has full control of the offense; accept or resign.

This is the only way to get the fans excited about the program. I literally don’t give a shit at this point because it’s nose diving and can’t see how it improve. Too old to invest in intentional nonsense.
What will actually happen, Mohajir will give Malzahn a larger money pool for assistants and he will hire another yes guy on the cheap and pocket the money.

No. Losing games is not a “show cause” event. Coaches get fired for losing…they don’t get fired for winning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT