ADVERTISEMENT

Which mascot from the 1970 poll would you have voted for?

Which mascot from the 1970 poll would you have voted for?

• Argonauts

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Barracudas

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Centaurs

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Comets

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Conquistadors

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Golden Hawks

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Golden Paladins

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Knights of Pegasus

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Scorpions

• Novas

• Total voters

MechaKnight

Five-Star Recruit
Dec 14, 2007
I found this in the UCF archives, the Central Florida Future, Vol. 03, No. 07, Nov 13, 1970

ajaxhelper

So which one would you have voted for?

**edit: added Novas since I somehow missed it the first time

Last edited:
I voted for Argonauts after seeing it was a reference to classical mythology.

The Argonauts (Ancient Greek: Ἀργοναῦται Argonautai) were a band of heroes in Greek mythology, who in the years before the Trojan War, around 1300 BC, accompanied Jason to Colchis in his quest to find the Golden Fleece. Their name comes from their ship, Argo, named after its builder, Argus.

However, I think UCF should be the first school to sell the Mascot to the biggest bidder just like we sell the naming rights of our stadium.

Could be a magical game changer.

Isn't UWF the Argonauts?

Conquistadors would have been pretty cool.

Yep, looks like UWF became the Argonauts in 1967.

I agree Conquistadors would have been cool. Still basically a Knight but with a connection to Florida's history. We could call the reflection pond the Fountain of Youth in reference to Ponce De Leon

Reactions: UCFhonors
Yep, looks like UWF became the Argonauts in 1967.

I agree Conquistadors would have been cool. Still basically a Knight but with a connection to Florida's history. We could call the reflection pond the Fountain of Youth in reference to Ponce De Leon
If we were in St Augustine. Not really associated with Orlando.

If we were in St Augustine. Not really associated with Orlando.

The Seminoles lived in central/south Florida and most gators are in the Everglades. If it's associated with Florida that's enough that UCF could have pulled it off. Certainly would have made more sense than a medieval European knight

Reactions: FijiUCF
The Seminoles lived in central/south Florida and most gators are in the Everglades. If it's associated with Florida that's enough that UCF could have pulled it off. Certainly would have made more sense than a medieval European knight
American alligators are found in the southeast United States: all of Florida and Louisiana, the southern parts of Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi, coastal South and North Carolina, East Texas, the southeast corner of Oklahoma, and the southern tip of Arkansas.
Also the Seminole were located from Oklahoma all the way down into Florida until the 1800s when they were forcibly moved out West and further into Southern Florida.

Not sure if the Conquistadors settled in Orlando or not. Maybe they did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT