ADVERTISEMENT

Which veterans are staying? Which ones are going?

Bring Back Wackadoos

Four-Star Recruit
Mar 15, 2023
I think one of the really interesting storylines that will develop over the next couple of weeks involves the immediate future(s) of many of the veteran UCF players on the roster. Just in the two-deep alone, UCF has a ton of fifth-year, redshirt senior, and senior roster members. When the school releases their list of players walking/being recognized on Senior Day, I think at that point we can read between the lines and decipher which of those guys are gone next year (or not).

Basically, if a player is classified as a "fifth-year", they will run out of eligibility at the conclusion of this season. In other words, these players (by the end of the season) will have played four NCAA seasons besides their COVID 2020 year. Jason Johnson, Tre-Mon Morris-Brash, Jireh Wilson, John Rhys Plumlee, DeJordan Mask, Walter Yates III, Ed Collins, Tylan Grable, Lokahi Pauole, Alec Holler, Bula Schmidt, and Decorian Patterson are part of this group. Their time at UCF is nearning an end.

I think the interesting decisions will be forthcoming from the other two groups - redshirt seniors and true seniors.

When factoring in both their redshirt and 2020 COVID years, guys like Ricky Barber, RJ Harvey, Amari Kight, and Adrian Medley could technically come back to the team in 2024 if they wanted to. Assuming all of these guys are graduates, they could play one year elsewhere as well...

And then our true seniors (in their fourth-year, no redshirt seasons) could also come back for a fifth-year due to COVID/2020 - guys like Johnny Richardson, Javon Baker, Kobe Hudson, Quadric Bullard, Corey Thornton, and Josh Celiscar. They could also go elsewhere for one season.

That's roughly ten core players on this year's roster who may or may not be coming back next season to UCF. Their decisions over the next couple of weeks will affect players the coaching staff opts to bring in through the portal, etc.

We shall see...

Ricky Barber, RS Senior: 2019 - Redshirt at WKU, 2020 - COVID year at WKU, 2021 - UCF, 2022 - UCF, 2023 - UCF. 32 career starts at UCF
2023 has been a rough and disjointed season for Barber as he's battled through injuries throughout the season. While his playing time will get cut into with the emergence of both Lee Hunter and John Walker at DT, I do think Barber comes back for a sixth year (fourth at UCF) in 2024. Confidence of returning: 7/10

Corey Thornton, Senior: 2020 - COVID year at UCF, 2021 - UCF, 2022 - UCF, 2023 - UCF. 37 career starts at UCF
Thornton has started 37 career games at UCF since 2020, including all 11 games this season. I think there's at least a chance he takes a little more NIL money for one season at another P5 school, although coming back to UCF for a fifth season would make some sense as well for the veteran cornerback.
Confidence of returning: 6/10

Quadric Bullard, Senior: 2020 - COVID year at UCF, 2021 - UCF, 2022 - UCF, 2023 - UCF. 25 career starts at UCF
Bullard lost segments of time due to injuries over his four years in Orlando. Earlier in the season, I would have assumed that Bullard was a lock to come back to UCF for a fifth season. But now, I'm not so sure. After starting the first six games at safety, Bullard has come off the bench since UCF's bye week. Younger players in UCF's secondary (D. Henderson, N. Martinez, B. Marshall) seem to have surpassed Bullard. I still think there's a chance he's back in a reserve/speacial teams role, but I could also see him looking elsewhere next season.
Confidence of returning: 5.5/10

Josh Celiscar, Senior: 2020 - COVID year at UCF, 2021 - UCF, 2022 - UCF, 2023 - UCF. 37 career starts at UCF
No doubt, it's been a down year for UCF's captain (44 tackles, 0 sacks). But I still think Celiscar coming back in 2024 for UCF would be a positive. Malachi Lawrence is emerging, but the Knights are also losing T. Morris-Brash. Celiscar would lose some snaps to guys like I. Nixon, K. Call, etc. - but I would still like to see him back next season.
Confidence of returning: 7/10

I think it comes down to who becomes QB.

With a QB who can throw 70% completions this team would be in the Big 12 title game conversation.

JRP is throwing 61% on the year. That increase in completions would easily be enough for a another 3-4 wins.

How many times have we seen JRP over throw someone by 2 feet or see our receivers have to make a spectacular jump. I love JRP, but he is just not accurate enough, that’s all there is to it

Reactions: FoxKnight
Amari Kight, RS Senior: 2019 (RS), 2020 (COVID year), 2021, 2022 at Alabama, 2023 at UCF - 8 career starts at UCF
Adrian Medley, RS Senior: 2019 (RS), 2020 (Covid year), 2021, 2022, 2023 all at UCF - 5 career starts at UCF

Kight was a reserve lineman over his four years at Alabama. He has started the last eight games for UCF at right tackle. With a regular role for the first time in his career, I think Kight comes back to Orlando for a sixth season. Medley, a once highly-touted recruit from Pensacola, has battled through various injuries over the last five seasons at UCF. Four of his five career starts have come this season, including the last three games at LG. Playing some of the more consistent ball of tenure towards the end, I think Medley comes back to UCF in 2024 as well.
Confidence of returning: 8/10 (Kight), 8/10 (Medley)

Javon Baker, Senior: 2020 (COVID year) and 2021 at Alabama, 2022 and 2023 at UCF - 23 career starts
Kobe Hudson, Senior: 2020 (COVID year) and 2021 at Auburn, 2022 and 2023 at UCF - 25 career starts

Baker has really come on strong during UCF's inagural Big 12 conference schedule. The senior wideout has a very good chance to finish 2023 as the conference's leading receiver. He struggled with drops a bit earlier in the season, but I don't see Baker's stock getting any higher. If it's not the next level, I would guess Baker leaves to go elsewhere for one more season in college. This is Hudson's second stop playing for Malzahn, following his head coach from Auburn. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I can't imagine UCF heading into 2024 without Baker or Hudson. I think Hudson comes back next season to be the featured receiver in the offense.
Confidence of returning: 5/10 (Baker), 7/10 (Hudson)

Johnny Richardson, Senior: 2020 (COVID year), 2021, 2022, and 2023 at UCF - 9 career starts
For three years, Richardson has been one of the more efficient backs per touch in all of college football. Yet, it seems like Richardson still disappears at times in Malzahn's offense, going long stretches without rushes, catches, sweeps, screens, etc. Richardson has one more season of college ball at his disposal if he wants it. I wouldn't be shocked at all if he elects to play elsewhere. I wouldn't be shocked if he comes back to UCF either.
Confidence of returning: 5.5/10

RJ Harvey, RS Senior: 2019 (RS) at Virginia, 2020 (COVID season), 2021, 2022, and 2023 at UCF - 12 career starts
Like Baker, Harvey is a guy whose stock is not going to get much higher than it is right now. Unlike Baker, at least Harvey plays a position that a Malzahn offense is very friendly towards. 2023 has really been just the second full-season the Edgewater product has played RB. A running back's shelf-life is rather short, I could definitely see Harvey opting to go pro (if the feedback is there). However, if Harvey does stay in college, I actually feel better about him staying at UCF (and not going to another school for a one-and-done year) than I do a couple of the other guys.
Confidence of returning: 5/10

I believe its time for a clean slate and move on from this entire Senior class.

Many of Defensive players have regressed (Barber, Celliscar, Bullard). It's time for the underclassmen and new blood.

Baker and Hudson will try for NFL. Barber and Celeiscar haven’t gotten much better so fine with them moving on. The future of the secondary is youth so those guys will probably be encouraged to asked to move on. Would love to have Harvey back but think he should try NFL. Johnny is easily replaced.

With a QB who can throw 70% completions this team would be in the Big 12 title game conversation.

JRP is throwing 61% on the year. That increase in completions would easily be enough for a another 3-4 wins.

How many times have we seen JRP over throw someone by 2 feet or see our receivers have to make a spectacular jump. I love JRP, but he is just not accurate enough, that’s all there is to it
No argument in JRP accuracy but there are only 9 qbs currently throwing 70 percent or better 7 of the 9 Jrs and seniors.

I think I have to disagree with you there. UCF has been one of the top offenses in the country all season. On that side of the ball, I would think UCF would certainly welcome back anyone and everyone for a fifth/sixth year if that’s what the player wanted. The offense is in danger of potentially losing 7 of 11 starters next season. That’s A LOT of portal work that will need to be done. I would gladly have back any senior (offense or defense), but especially on offense.

You’re putting 3-4 losses on JRP, but three of their losses came in games he didn’t even play in? Lol

Have you met our 2023 defense? Just completing a few more passes each game ‘would put us in the Big 12 title game conversation’ is one hell of a take when the team is ranked outside the top 100 nationally in run defense.

Many of Defensive players have regressed (Barber, Celliscar, Bullard). It's time for the underclassmen and new blood.
I don't think they regressed. I think the competition progressed.

In Barber's defense, he has been playing hurt. Celiscar is probably trying to do too much. Bullard is probably a stretch at this level of football.

Reactions: U C to the F
I appreciate this analysis, but I believe your predictions for some of these guys are too bullish. Harvey will almost certainly be gone, his draft stock is the highest it will be. I think both Baker and Kobe are gone, they’ve got money on the mind and have shown out the past few weeks. Thornton I think is gone too, though it may be smarter for him to stay. The d-lineman I don’t really know what to think, because it’s been a disappointing year for them all. Celiscar hasn’t really fit well into the new scheme, and Barber has fought injuries the whole year and has underperformed

I appreciate this analysis, but I believe your predictions for some of these guys are too bullish. Harvey will almost certainly be gone, his draft stock is the highest it will be. I think both Baker and Kobe are gone, they’ve got money on the mind and have shown out the past few weeks. Thornton I think is gone too, though it may be smarter for him to stay. The d-lineman I don’t really know what to think, because it’s been a disappointing year for them all. Celiscar hasn’t really fit well into the new scheme, and Barber has fought injuries the whole year and has underperformed
Yeah, probably too bullish. Don’t get me wrong, anytime a player has an opportunity to be paid to play professionally, I’m 100% all for it. A fee of our guys on offense have stock that is pretty damn high now, completely agree.

I also have seen for many years people on this board overvalue our own guys, thinking they were NFL caliber and locks to be drafted (when they weren’t). That’s why I think this time of the year is interesting…big-time decisions forthcoming.

I think one of the really interesting storylines that will develop over the next couple of weeks involves the immediate future(s) of many of the veteran UCF players on the roster. Just in the two-deep alone, UCF has a ton of fifth-year, redshirt senior, and senior roster members. When the school releases their list of players walking/being recognized on Senior Day, I think at that point we can read between the lines and decipher which of those guys are gone next year (or not).

Basically, if a player is classified as a "fifth-year", they will run out of eligibility at the conclusion of this season. In other words, these players (by the end of the season) will have played four NCAA seasons besides their COVID 2020 year. Jason Johnson, Tre-Mon Morris-Brash, Jireh Wilson, John Rhys Plumlee, DeJordan Mask, Walter Yates III, Ed Collins, Tylan Grable, Lokahi Pauole, Alec Holler, Bula Schmidt, and Decorian Patterson are part of this group. Their time at UCF is nearning an end.

I think the interesting decisions will be forthcoming from the other two groups - redshirt seniors and true seniors.

When factoring in both their redshirt and 2020 COVID years, guys like Ricky Barber, RJ Harvey, Amari Kight, and Adrian Medley could technically come back to the team in 2024 if they wanted to. Assuming all of these guys are graduates, they could play one year elsewhere as well...

And then our true seniors (in their fourth-year, no redshirt seasons) could also come back for a fifth-year due to COVID/2020 - guys like Johnny Richardson, Javon Baker, Kobe Hudson, Quadric Bullard, Corey Thornton, and Josh Celiscar. They could also go elsewhere for one season.

That's roughly ten core players on this year's roster who may or may not be coming back next season to UCF. Their decisions over the next couple of weeks will affect players the coaching staff opts to bring in through the portal, etc.

We shall see...
Zero chance Harvey comes back.

Reactions: knight_tracker
What’s Van Nickels doing?
Malzahn has literally developed nobody. Going into 2024 with zero viable OL, QB, WR or RB…that’s just the offense.

Harvey is gone and the outside WRs will be gone as well…no chance they stay when UCF won’t have a QB and there’s zero chance that any viable transfer QBs will want to play for Malzahn…well other than the backup from Charlotte of the two USF guys.

Gus Malzahn will hit the portal and bring in some low tier strugglers. LOL. Good luck.

Malzahn has literally developed nobody. Going into 2024 with zero viable OL, QB, WR or RB…that’s just the offense.

Harvey is gone and the outside WRs will be gone as well…no chance they stay when UCF won’t have a QB and there’s zero chance that any viable transfer QBs will want to play for Malzahn…well other than the backup from Charlotte of the two USF guys.

Gus Malzahn will hit the portal and bring in some low tier strugglers. LOL. Good luck.
Welp. The all-knowing Lobo the cane with no legacy has spoken.

Welp. The all-knowing Lobo the cane with no legacy has spoken.
You are a well known Malzahn simp who is literally wrong on EVERYTHING.

You have the balls to bet? I’ll bet you that Harvey, Baker and Hudson all leave UCF when this season is over.

If I am wrong, I’ll never post here again. If I am right…you LEAVE THIS FORUM AND NEVER COME BACK.

Deal? Got it?

You have the balls to bet? I’ll bet you that Harvey, Baker and Hudson all leave UCF when this season is over.

If I am wrong, I’ll never post here again. If I am right…you LEAVE THIS FORUM AND NEVER COME BACK.

Deal? Got it?
I don't recall saying they would be back. You are arguing with other fans about this topic. Not me.

Deal? Got it?
Besides if I wanted to get rid of you, I would bet on the Iron Bowl with you.

• Haha
Reactions: Robert0122

Thanks, but I asked about what Van Nickels was doing though…

Deal? Got it?
So I guess your whole theory about Gus not developing anyone or producing any draft picks is toast huh?

I think Kinchens just got burnt again, and Matt Lee is still crying…

Deal? Got it?
That’s a bet. I will absolutely take that wager, done…

Any of those three guys come back, you never post here again. It’s a deal.

Anyone that is been in school four full years is probably gone

if I had to guess maybe Hudson would be the one to stay but expecting all 3 to be gone

Reactions: LemmyKilmister
Basically we’ll know based on who’s walking out with their family for senior day right? Or has anybody recently walked out for senior day but came back the next year?

Anyone that is been in school four full years is probably gone

if I had to guess maybe Hudson would be the one to stay but expecting all 3 to be gone
Yeah, of the three (Harvey, Baker, Hudson), I could definitely see Hudson coming back.

I think a lot of the time, our fans equate really good stats as being ready for the NFL. The thing is, college stats are incredibly inflated/adjusted depending upon the school’s pace of play, scheme, possibly strength of schedule, etc. I look at a player more in the lens of, “what role can that player fill in the NFL where he becomes a difference-maker”?

For example, with Gabe Davis, you knew he could help a team in the red zone with his plus-size - and he could help stretch the field running go routes. Those two major ‘pluses’ outweighed his limited route-running/route-tree critique.

With Baker and Hudson, they both have really solid size (6-1/200), but neither of those guys have plus-size for NFL outside receivers. I do like Baker’s catch radius, his ability to make difficult catches, his ability to make contested catches, and he’s even really come on as a downfield blocker. Going into this season, I would have rated Baker and Hudson’s stock very similarly. But after the full Big 12 schedule, I do think Baker has taken another step further in his game than Hudson.

I can also see Harvey as a third-down change of pace NFL back. UCF doesn’t feature him in the pass game a ton, but he has shown on film flashes of being a threat catching the ball. I don’t think he’s big enough to be a featured back, but there will be a role for him. He’s also going to have to improve his blitz pickup ability, which I think he’s strong enough (and athletic enough) to do.

Last edited:
This scenario i put at only 1% of a chance, but the Only reason RJ comes back is if he thinks he has a legit shot at a Heisman. Its not unrealistic really because he will have hype around him. It would cement him as “Mr 407” a true Orlando hometown hero. Truly a legacy to be remembered forever.

Having said that, 99% chance hes gone with the huge roster turn over coming.

This scenario i put at only 1% of a chance, but the Only reason RJ comes back is if he thinks he has a legit shot at a Heisman. Its not unrealistic really because he will have hype around him. It would cement him as “Mr 407” a true Orlando hometown hero. Truly a legacy to be remembered forever.

Having said that, 99% chance hes gone with the huge roster turn over coming.
some of you would make good fantasy writers.

some of you would make good fantasy writers.
I dont see the fantasy in it, please fill me in as to why he wouldn’t have a shot? Hes not coming back but if he did everything would run through him.

The only fantasy is me wishing he would come back for another year.

Reactions: Wings0fred

No RJ Harvey on here. A bet is a bet, no more LoboCane…#TalkSoon
Lol…you have to be really “naive” to believe Harvey is returning to UCF (He walked for Senior Day today). It’s comical how little you UCF fans know about football.

A RB has a very short shelf life and Harvey’s stock is not getting any higher. The young man had a serious knee injury and missed an entire year but some random UCF fan thinks Harvey will be back next year…lol, cant even begin to make it up.

Yeah, Harvey is coming to a team that will be worse next year so you and others of similar ilk can keep “bouncing” in the Clown House. C O M I C A L.

Also, this dude really hates UCF and you fans with all his guts.

Last edited:
No reason for Harvey, Hudson, and Baker to stay next year. Unless they get a horrible pre draft grade and can come back for 6 figure NIL deal. All three had good seasons to show pro potential.

Lol…you have to be really “naive” to believe Harvey is returning to UCF (He walked for Senior Day today). It’s comical how little you UCF fans know about football.

A RB has a very short shelf life and Harvey’s stock is not getting any higher. The young man had a serious knee injury and missed an entire year but some random UCF fan thinks Harvey will be back next year…lol, cant even begin to make it up.

Yeah, Harvey is coming to a team that will be worse next year so you and others of similar ilk can keep “bouncing” in the Clown House. C O M I C A L.

Also, this dude really hates UCF and you fans with all his guts.

Javon doesn’t hate UCF, he hates that he isn’t able to showcase his abilities as a draftable WR given our Qb

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT