ADVERTISEMENT

Who here builds PCs?

Dmarino110

Diamond Knight
Oct 9, 2001
I built mine 7 years ago and its time for an upgrade. I have everything picked out and I am right under 1300 and yes Im actually paying for windows. Yes it is mostly a game machine. So help me spend less for about the same performance.

No AMD processors...

SAMSUNG DVD Burner SATA Model SH-224DB/BEBE - OEM

Standard Return Policy
$19.99

Rosewill Gaming Computer Case - ARMOR-EVO - Mid Tower - Up to E-ATX MBs - Up to 9 Fans, Six (6) Pre-Installed

$89.99

Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

$54.99

MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support G-SYNC Support Video Card

SeaSonic S12G S12G-650 650W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Standard Return Policy
$99.99
Join Today

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

$63.99

ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI 6 x SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Standard Return Policy

Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I54690K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600

$239.99

Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit - OEM
$99.99

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan

Standard Return Policy
$34.99

SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E250B/AM 2.5" 250GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Form Factor: 2.5" / Capacity: 250GB
$104.95

I haven't build a PC since DDR2 RAM was the shit so I won't be too much help in that department. Anyways, HOLD UP on buying Windows, perhaps woot can clarify, but I think Windows 10 is going to be free for the first year. I do not know if that is upgrade only or if you can get a standalone copy legitimately. Check into it if it matters.

I haven't build a PC since DDR2 RAM was the shit so I won't be too much help in that department. Anyways, HOLD UP on buying Windows, perhaps woot can clarify, but I think Windows 10 is going to be free for the first year. I do not know if that is upgrade only or if you can get a standalone copy legitimately. Check into it if it matters.

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade if you already have Windows installed.
To install it on a new system you will have to pay.

I can remember saving my allowance for 6 months to buy a Voodoo 2 card. 16 MB. Wow.

I can make, fix, repair, solder, build, destroy anything.

First off, don't be afraid of AMD processors...they are extremely capable, just as much as intel, and can save you money. It's not 2000 anymore, AMD and Intel are quite par. Lingering perception from early last decade drives price now.

Hell, AMD is a player in the graphics industry since they now own ATI and are insanely stable with the advent of Mantle.

An 8-core 4.0ghz AM3 FX would destroy that i5...and it's cheaper. You'll get "bottlenecked" with that 970 GPU if you get an i5.

Get a 500 (or so) GB SSD for your windows install, and 1-2 tb standard HDD for storage (so cylinder can be pulled if needing a restore). 500mb+ cache and bus speed versus that 64mb HDD. Yeah...no question there.

Second, for 20.00 more, you can get a blu-ray drive.

Marino, despite our differences, I can help you out. What's your overall budget? I can "virtually" build based on that...

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, when Knightman and I priced my computer with Alienware and Dell, it was upwards of $2,000. Got it all done for a little over $500.

Windows 10 will be free if you have 7 or 8, will be linked to xbox live/xbox one since using the same relative api and directx 12 (like I predicted 2 years ago and you all mocked me. God I love being right) and coupled with Valve's Steam, you will have the ability to game with Xbox One, PC AND PS4 people via Steam (some games now, more to come...Like the Metal Gear Series).

Reactions: jetsaholic
YouDidntBuildThat-legosa.jpeg

I'll try to help out a fellow nerd.

Most common issue with those slim Xboxes. The drive reader is borked. Perhaps happened during a write process that failed, sounds like it could have slipped into failure during the heavy activity during the update. Unfortunately Microsoft will have to fix those because it involves a physical defect...or a new drive but you need to match the hardware type and often a "part code" with the new drive, often those drives can be ordered second-hand or from 3rd-party console-repair sites or shops...might save some money.

Or, spend the 70.00.

Did you try pulling the drive to see if it could be mounted on a PC? If you did, did you get any redundancy errors/cyclical errors? If you do, the drive is definitely toast.

Probably should've mentioned this before but it's the 4GB model, so no "drive". I assume that's just a flash chip soldered onto the motherboard so fixing that would be quite a challenge.

I'm quite convinced it's not a hardware issue but because of a borked preview update (a lot of people had issues with it). Support folks suggested I try to put a drive in it and see if it fixes itself. I'm not very hopeful but my buddy is going to let me borrow his and see.

Probably should've mentioned this before but it's the 4GB model, so no "drive". I assume that's just a flash chip soldered onto the motherboard so fixing that would be quite a challenge.

I'm quite convinced it's not a hardware issue but because of a borked preview update (a lot of people had issues with it). Support folks suggested I try to put a drive in it and see if it fixes itself. I'm not very hopeful but my buddy is going to let me borrow his and see.

Ahh...yes, perhaps it "popped" off similarly to how the old 360 boards used to warp and "pop" the GPU. If the flash chipped "popped" off, you might be able to re-solder, just need a micro-solder kit.

I admit, I don't know a WHOLE lot about the slims, mostly the larger predecessor.

Microsoft should just stick to software...ha! They were very close to having Samsung build the Xbone...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT