ADVERTISEMENT

Who is gonna try the new Google wifi router?

brahmanknight

Sep 5, 2007
Winter Park
http://www.wired.com/2015/08/google-onhub-wi-fi-router/

I might in the medium term future. I need a router with AC capability when I get my next laptop, so that might be a good enough reason to pick this up ( or I might wait for the ASUS version, luv me some ASUS ).

google-wifi-galler1-582x437.jpg

google-wifi-galler4-582x436.jpg

Today, the company is launching a new device called the OnHub, in partnership with router-maker TP-Link. There’s another, Asus-made device in the works. For $199, it promises to make your Wi-Fi faster and more reliable, and to give you the ability to update and fix your connection. (You know, for the rare times unplugging it and plugging it back in just won’t do.) Presales start today, and devices will ship in the coming weeks.

If step one was to build a router people want on their shelf, not in the closet, then step two was to make it work really well. The OnHub has 13 antennas inside, 12 for casting signal and one for measuring congestion on your network. The device’s software is constantly monitoring channels and frequencies, making sure you’re connecting in the most efficient way. Wuellner says Google didn’t just want to blow your mind with antenna power, but figure out how to use it properly. “Imagine yourself in a battle with your neighbor about who can listen to their stereo,” he says. Most routers just keep cranking the volume to try and drown out the other; the OnHub wants to help everybody share.

That’s part of why you might get a slight case of the heebie-jeebies at the notion of a Google router. The company that already knows your location, your email, your search history, now sniffing around everything you connect to the internet? Yikes. Not to mention, there’s the fact that it would be all too easy for Google to make the OnHub better for Google services than others, in the hopes that maybe you find yourself going to YouTube and not Netflix.

Ill stick with the ASUS one I bought earlier this year. Most things cant take full advantage of AC yet anyways.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT