ADVERTISEMENT

Who needs those stinkin' FEDERAL regulations, right Texas?

DaShuckster

Diamond Knight
Nov 30, 2003
Your private utility system at work, Texas. Skyrocketing electric bills with auto payments? Suck it up, it's all perfectly legal. The report showed that a woman who paid less that $2.50 a day for her electricity found that the private utility company automatically withdrew $1,346.17 for the first two weeks of February.

I suspect that this brilliant decision on the part of Texas lawmakers back in the day will accelerate the state's transition from a red state to a purple state.
Lol... always hoping any disaster turns into a political gain for your team... just vote Democrat and all your problems will disappear because they’ll make sure nothing bad happens to you ever again!

Reactions: ElprofesorJuan
Your private utility system at work, Texas. Skyrocketing electric bills with auto payments? Suck it up, it's all perfectly legal. The report showed that a woman who paid less that $2.50 a day for her electricity found that the private utility company automatically withdrew $1,346.17 for the first two weeks of February.

It's becoming clear that you don't know what the term "regulations" means.

Reactions: knightbeer
Lol... always hoping any disaster turns into a political gain for your team... just vote Democrat and all your problems will disappear because they’ll make sure nothing bad happens to you ever again!
Texas is moving more and more purple -- as the last election revealed. I've made no secret about how stupid and near-sighted I think the Texas GOP legislature's decision was regarding their power grid. The Texas Governor's initial claim that this disaster was due to the failure of 'green' energy was equally stupid.

I would expect the aftereffects of this mess -- particularly when you've got people paying 4-figure February energy bills -- are likely to fuel a tad bit of anger on the part of Texan voters, wouldn't you agree?

Huh? Where was it used in the post you've opined on regarding my lack understanding?

Texas utilizes a private energy company that, due to its coverage area, was not subject to any federal regulations.
What federal "regulations" would have made a difference here?

ENRON? The fact is regulation is required. Like anything it has to be appropriate and managed.
Great. The problem is that the only federal regulations that Texas has been able to avoid is interstate wholesale prices and grid reliability for interstate transmission. It wouldn't have led to winterizing their power generation systems. There are recommendations, but not regulations for it.

It wouldn't have led to winterizing their power generation systems. There are recommendations, but not regulations for it.
Sort of like wearing masks, huh?

I'm reminded of the old adage: You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Sort of like wearing masks, huh?

I'm reminded of the old adage: You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
Break your ankle with that pivot? I guess at least you admitted that no federal regulation would have stopped this though.

Reactions: KNIGHTTIME^
I'm not sure I understand why people are upset that Texas is going to get FEMA aid. It's a natural disaster like any other.

Texas is moving more and more purple -- as the last election revealed. I've made no secret about how stupid and near-sighted I think the Texas GOP legislature's decision was regarding their power grid. The Texas Governor's initial claim that this disaster was due to the failure of 'green' energy was equally stupid.

I would expect the aftereffects of this mess -- particularly when you've got people paying 4-figure February energy bills -- are likely to fuel a tad bit of anger on the part of Texan voters, wouldn't you agree?
If you want to read into Biden doing better than Hillary, go right ahead. Comparing him to the single worst candidate for president in modern history is a strategy bound to pay off for you.

The number of 4 figure energy bills for February, do you know how many? I know you posted an anecdote about someone, but that was from a company with less than 30,000 customers.

Paying wholesale prices for electricity can be cheaper most of the time, but a fixed rate protects you from emergency situations like this...

Do you have a problem with that pricing plan, or just a problem with a large bill? I mean... if they had just paid a little more money normally for a fixed rate they wouldn’t be in this mess with a wholesale price bill because of an emergency. Kinda like life insurance, no?

If you want to read into Biden doing better than Hillary, go right ahead. Comparing him to the single worst candidate for president in modern history is a strategy bound to pay off for you.

The number of 4 figure energy bills for February, do you know how many? I know you posted an anecdote about someone, but that was from a company with less than 30,000 customers.

Paying wholesale prices for electricity can be cheaper most of the time, but a fixed rate protects you from emergency situations like this...

Do you have a problem with that pricing plan, or just a problem with a large bill? I mean... if they had just paid a little more money normally for a fixed rate they wouldn’t be in this mess with a wholesale price bill because of an emergency. Kinda like life insurance, no?
Those people chose to go with this company and knew the risks. I feel sorry for them, but in reality it just comes down to the fact that they gambled and lost.

That being said, if I was a Texan I'd probably be pushing the state to connect to one of the interstate grids. It wouldn't cost them anything and they'd have a hedge against this happening again. They could keep the private electric suppliers like they have now. IMO, it should be a no-brainer.

Reactions: Knight In TN
Those people chose to go with this company and knew the risks. I feel sorry for them, but in reality it just comes down to the fact that they gambled and lost.

That being said, if I was a Texan I'd probably be pushing the state to connect to one of the interstate grids. It wouldn't cost them anything and they'd have a hedge against this happening again. They could keep the private electric suppliers like they have now. IMO, it should be a no-brainer.
Of course connecting to the interstate grid, even if only in an emergency capacity, is a no-brainer. I’m not going to pretend I know what all would be involved in making that happen, the cost, and the pros and cons.

@DaShuckster would be singing an entirely different tune if this were a blue state. That’s gross.

Hillary? Earth to Knight In TN: This is February, 2021. She lost and became a nobody in 2016 for crying out loud.
Oooooooh, ONLY 30,000 customers? Well then who gives a shit, right?
Exactly, which is why most providers are smart enough to only offer fixed rate plans.

Texas is already purple, and will be Blue within 10 to 15 years. Californians are running away from that disaster and moving to Texas and voting like they did when the created the California disaster.

Texas is already purple, and will be Blue within 10 to 15 years.
Yep. 👍

Domestic migrants are moving into the state from California, New York, Illinois, Florida, and Louisiana. It takes A LOT of little Mississippi's, Alabama's and Montana's to make up for the numbers from California, Texas, and New York,

Fortunately, the GOP is hard at work trying to expand their base of influence, right guys? ;)

Hillary? Earth to Knight In TN: This is February, 2021. She lost and became a nobody in 2016 for crying out loud. Oooooooh, ONLY 30,000 customers? Well then who gives a shit, right?
Exactly, which is why most providers are smart enough to only offer fixed rate plans.
How stupid are you? YOU brought up the fact that “Texas is moving more purple, as the last election showed” which is directly comparing Biden’s performance in Texas to Hillary’s. Are you brain dead?

As for the rest of it... nobody is forcing anyone to not choose a fixed rate. Are you pro choice, or not?

Yep. 👍

Domestic migrants are moving into the state from California, New York, Illinois, Florida, and Louisiana. It takes A LOT of little Mississippi's, Alabama's and Montana's to make up for the numbers from California, Texas, and New York,

Fortunately, the GOP is hard at work trying to expand their base of influence, right guys? ;)
Lol. Why are they moving to Texas from states like California, New York, and Illinois?

Here my observations.

California and New York both run by Progressives and have regulations up the butt have power issues. California is a dumpster fire of regulations and suffers mightily from a decripped failing power grid . They are king of the rolling blackouts . New York state is also suffering from power grid issues and blackouts. Regulations and federal authoritarianism doesn't solve power issues, technology and power plants do.

My other observation is this. My brother is the head of Auburn University Nuclear power program in the engineering department. He teaches civilian engineered about nuclear power operation and spent his 20s operating nuclear submarines in the navy as a young engineer. His observations to me recently are the powers to be cancelled the construction of a modern nuke plant in texas and had that plant been on line none of this stuff would be happening Iin texas . I earned degrees in biology and environmental planning and resource management and I am a huge proponent of nuclear power. it's is safe , it's definitely zero emissions and it can generate a ton of electricity all the time regardless of if it's windy, sunny or cloudy or cold.

I am not opposed to green energy ,but this tech is far from proven to be reliable and when you need it, you need it. My sister lives in Allen Texas and she lost power during the rolling blackouts. Her house was built 15 years ago and her pipes froze in her master bath. it was darn cold and even if they had the mighty federal regulations this event would still have happened.

Here my observations.

California and New York both run by Progressives and have regulations up the butt have power issues. California is a dumpster fire of regulations and suffers mightily from a decripped failing power grid . They are king of the rolling blackouts . New York state is also suffering from power grid issues and blackouts. Regulations and federal authoritarianism doesn't solve power issues, technology and power plants do.

My other observation is this. My brother is the head of Auburn University Nuclear power program in the engineering department. He teaches civilian engineered about nuclear power operation and spent his 20s operating nuclear submarines in the navy as a young engineer. His observations to me recently are the powers to be cancelled the construction of a modern nuke plant in texas and had that plant been on line none of this stuff would be happening Iin texas . I earned degrees in biology and environmental planning and resource management and I am a huge proponent of nuclear power. it's is safe , it's definitely zero emissions and it can generate a ton of electricity all the time regardless of if it's windy, sunny or cloudy or cold.

I am not opposed to green energy ,but this tech is far from proven to be reliable and when you need it, you need it. My sister lives in Allen Texas and she lost power during the rolling blackouts. Her house was built 15 years ago and her pipes froze in her master bath. it was darn cold and even if they had the mighty federal regulations this event would still have happened.
Truth be told, the people that have been fighting against nuclear energy since the 1950s are directly responsible for global warming.

Reactions: Nautiknight
California and New York both run by Progressives and have regulations up the butt have power issues. California is a dumpster fire of regulations and suffers mightily from a decripped failing power grid . They are king of the rolling blackouts .
So it's only "progressive-run" states that create dumpster fire energy grids? Weird, I could have sworn this thread was about the dumpster fire the Texas legislature created.
My brother is the head of Auburn University Nuclear power program in the engineering department. He teaches civilian engineered about nuclear power operation and spent his 20s operating nuclear submarines in the navy as a young engineer. His observations to me recently are the powers to be cancelled the construction of a modern nuke plant in texas and had that plant been on line none of this stuff would be happening in texas.
I don't disagree that nuclear power could solve a number of our problems. But let's not ignore the reasons why the public has concerns about the safety of nuclear power plants.

So it's only "progressive-run" states that create dumpster fire energy grids? Weird, I could have sworn this thread was about the dumpster fire the Texas legislature created.
I don't disagree that nuclear power could solve a number of our problems. But let's not ignore the reasons why the public has concerns about the safety of nuclear power plants.

Your post suggest more federal regulations would have solved this issue when in fact California is uber regulated and all those regulations not only have not helped California with their failing power grid,they are exacerbating it.

The issue of nuclear power as you say is an ignorant public and a bunch of environmental nut jobs promulgating fear. The US Navy has an impeccable track record of running nuclear power plants and the civilian record is stellar . in fact more people have died installing and servicing windmills than have ever died building or operating a nuclear power plant. Zero people have died in the nuclear industry as a result of their jobs,even in the 3 Mile Island incident. Nuclear is safe. France gets 75% of it's power from nuclear energy.

If I blame anything on Texas it is their trust in wind , not building an approved and licensed nuclear power plant. More federal involvement is not the answer.

There is virtually zero risk involved with nuclear energy and its been that way for 60 years. The amount of fissile material involved is so small at any given time that even in a worst case scenario it would only affect the area the size of the plant anyway. The only reason that people resist it is because they were trained to be afraid.

Reactions: Trigeek
Your post suggest more federal regulations would have solved this issue when in fact California is uber regulated and all those regulations not only have not helped California with their failing power grid, they are exacerbating it.

First off, I am already on record here as saying I'm in support of nuclear power.

Yet you bash California for being (in your words) "uber-regulated" while excusing Texas for being (in my words) "zero-regulated." Boy, those conservative Texas politicians sure didn't need the Feds and their stinkin' regulations messing up their power grid, right? But on the other hand, having the Feds bail them out with disaster relief aid after their grid went to shit? Well now, THAT's a whole different story!!! :)

I live in a Houston suburb and man was this a mess. I'm fortunate in that I didn't have any damage but it was mismanagement at all levels. The natural gas generators were the primary culprit in all of this and I guess back in 2011 the private power providers were advised to take precautions and obviously none of them did.

That being said this could have been loads better if the electric providers actually did rolling blackouts. Some people were without power for 3 full days and some people never lost power. I was somewhere in the middle with power for 5 of 48 hours. During my prolonged outage I drove by the local mall, on my way elsewhere, and the whole mall had power and I'm not sure if any of you have seen the downtowns throughout the major Texas cities that were empty and lit up while the surrounding people froze. Just a bad look overall.

I see that Biden is heading down to Texas on Friday to examine the damage. Of course, it's now 80 degrees there now so I hope he doesn't overheat while looking at all of the ice. Or something like that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT