ADVERTISEMENT

Who thinks drawing down like this is a good idea.

Unimaginably idiotic. Purely a political move, doing this 60 days before a new administration.

Trump couldn't get it done during his 4 years in office, now all he's doing is causing headaches for our service members.

Reactions: ElprofesorJuan
Unimaginably idiotic. Purely a political move, doing this 60 days before a new administration.

Trump couldn't get it done during his 4 years in office, now all he's doing is causing headaches for our service members.
Did you ever consider the fact that for 4 years he had to deal with unending political attacks? He's once again doing exactly what he said he was going to do if elected.

And I'm sure its super stressful for soldiers having to come home to their families as opposed to sitting in the middle of a desert wondering when a suicide bomber is going to kill them.

He has been slowly drawing down for 2 years. We have been there for 20 years, Isis is all but gone, We no longer need oil from middle east, though that may change soon, and the area is the most peaceful it has been since probably the 1940's.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Did you ever consider the fact that for 4 years he had to deal with unending political attacks? He's once again doing exactly what he said he was going to do if elected.

And I'm sure its super stressful for soldiers having to come home to their families as opposed to sitting in the middle of a desert wondering when a suicide bomber is going to kill them.
There is no plan. He's just checking a box in the final days of his administration. I agree we should have been out years ago and I won't begin to discuss the fact that we are there to begin with, however it has to be strategic and this move is just going to create undesired repercussion.

There is no plan. He's just checking a box in the final days of his administration. I agree we should have been out years ago and I won't begin to discuss the fact that we are there to begin with, however it has to be strategic and this move is just going to create undesired repercussion.
Then they can deal with it. In the past, the only reason we got involved was because either 1. We were already there or 2. There was a strategic advantage due to oil. Neither circumstance will exist now so finally we can just mind our own business.

As idiotic as trump cult members are, no one actually thinks making massive military changes a couple weeks before an administration change is a good idea.

Typical left war lovers. They just love to see our military in danger and die for no apparent reason. Additionally, they love to tax us to pay for it.

Typical left war lovers. They just love to see our military in danger and die for no apparent reason. Additionally, they love to tax us to pay for it.
So the Pentagon is the typical left? Not as simply as that. We aren't in wars, we are doing counter terrorism ops.

So the Pentagon is the typical left? Not as simply as that. We aren't in wars, we are doing counter terrorism ops.
I supported it when it was needed. Now it’s not the priority that it once was

No it leaves us vulnerable from a attack. No movement should be made from Otober to March in a Presidential Election year unless its necessary. It leaves our Allies and Troops Vulnerable to attack. He just pulled out half our troops. The other half is now vulnerable to attacks. This is a mistake from a Tactical point of View. Especially while negotiating a peace treaty while your enemy is still attacking. I am all for bringing troops home. Let's get a plan in place first. This does not help us. It only weakens our position to our Enemies.

No it leaves us vulnerable from a attack. No movement should be made from Otober to March in a Presidential Election year unless its necessary. It leaves our Allies and Troops Vulnerable to attack. He just pulled out half our troops. The other half is now vulnerable to attacks. This is a mistake from a Tactical point of View. Especially while negotiating a peace treaty while your enemy is still attacking. I am all for bringing troops home. Let's get a plan in place first. This does not help us. It only weakens our position to our Enemies.
Not only that but Trump isn't sharing intelligence with Biden.

What is your analysis of the remaining troop deployments and posture that leads you to believe they are vulnerable to attack in any specific area? Is it just based on numbers or do you have any specific information on who is leaving, who is staying, and if the withdrawal from any area or FOB is leaving any other FOB or area more vulnerable to attack than before?

Afghanistan was seen, by turn of the century neocons, as a strategic move because of its proximity to China. The war there was opposed by a lot of liberals. Now China is more dangerous and we are leaving because of a conservative president while a Democratic president wants to increase our presence. I get that Biden voted for this never ending war(and the Patriot Act- never forget), but when did these roles reverse? What would the cost be of a Warhawk president that also promised very expensive entitlement programs? I don’t see this ending well.

I’m going to brush up on my Mandarin so that I can tell the CCP how handsome they look in their little uniforms when they kick in my door.

Reactions: Crazyhole
What is your analysis of the remaining troop deployments and posture that leads you to believe they are vulnerable to attack in any specific area? Is it just based on numbers or do you have any specific information on who is leaving, who is staying, and if the withdrawal from any area or FOB is leaving any other FOB or area more vulnerable to attack than before?
Actually this troop level is what Obama and Biden originally wanted...But the Generals had asked for more troops ...The amount being taken is around 2000 from Afghanistan 500 hundred from another area....It leaves our Force at about 2000 in Afghanistan..Not enough in case a huge attack comes ..Even though we also have Nato forces in region. Also Afghan Army has increased . Interesting since This is the Number Joe and Obama originally wanted. but More troops were added...But Yes we are still leaving some troops there

Actually this troop level is what Obama and Biden originally wanted...But the Generals had asked for more troops ...The amount being taken is around 2000 from Afghanistan 500 hundred from another area....It leaves our Force at about 2000 in Afghanistan..Not enough in case a huge attack comes ..Even though we also have Nato forces in region. Also Afghan Army has increased . Interesting since This is the Number Joe and Obama originally wanted. but More troops were added...But Yes we are still leaving some troops there
Trump has a deal in place where the Taliban has agreed to not attack US troops. Now let's say they renege on that deal and attack our troops; would you trust Biden to pose a counter attack that would be anywhere near as deadly as what Trump would do? Biden would probably just go on TV and blame Trump. Trump would bomb the hell out of them for breaking the agreement. Which one emboldens an enemy?

I guess my problem with this is that it’s been boiled down to a mathematical problem. We will remove X number of troops because that is what we said and we must do it by January 15th. Rather than a strategic move... If we remove Y we will expect Z. No one can tell us that hat the expected outcome of this timetable will be. It’s sorta like Abortion, no one wants more abortions. No one does not want the troops home (Well maybe government contractor s)

I have a nephew who is an UCF student in his late 20s. He joined the Marines and served proudly for 4 years from 2011 to 2015. He spent a year in Libya in 2013 after the Benghazi disaster . He is struggling in school right now. He truly does have PTSD and I was talking with him the other day and I heard this. he is dejected about his service to our country. He said he feels he signed up to do something honorable and his time in Libya he saw a lot of important people pass through on both sides of the isle and he knows our efforts there were tainted with political agendas that were not honorable and he feels used by it all.

I don't know about any of you but our military is largely made up of honorable men and women. they are 100% volunteer and they know they are signing up to break things, kill people and possibly be killed. what struck me is my nephew is truly bothered in ways not by the Marines or his service as part of them but how politicians just use the military as a tool for their own games.

So, I say screw Afghanistan. our presence is not going to make them the USA of far east or middle east or near east. I say withdraw. Let them know if they spawn idiot terrorists again we will level the place. We need not waste blood and treasure there any more. I don't see the honor in staying and risking lives for a people who are not willing to stand on their own and fight for their own liberty and country.

I have a nephew who is an UCF student in his late 20s. He joined the Marines and served proudly for 4 years from 2011 to 2015. He spent a year in Libya in 2013 after the Benghazi disaster . He is struggling in school right now. He truly does have PTSD and I was talking with him the other day and I heard this. he is dejected about his service to our country. He said he feels he signed up to do something honorable and his time in Libya he saw a lot of important people pass through on both sides of the isle and he knows our efforts there were tainted with political agendas that were not honorable and he feels used by it all.

I don't know about any of you but our military is largely made up of honorable men and women. they are 100% volunteer and they know they are signing up to break things, kill people and possibly be killed. what struck me is my nephew is truly bothered in ways not by the Marines or his service as part of them but how politicians just use the military as a tool for their own games.

So, I say screw Afghanistan. our presence is not going to make them the USA of far east or middle east or near east. I say withdraw. Let them know if they spawn idiot terrorists again we will level the place. We need not waste blood and treasure there any more. I don't see the honor in staying and risking lives for a people who are not willing to stand on their own and fight for their own liberty and country.
We've got some pretty small tactical nukes that would be a hell of a deterrent if the Taliban decided to start shit up again after we leave. Let them know we mean business without mass destruction.

So, I say screw Afghanistan. our presence is not going to make them the USA of far east or middle east or near east. I say withdraw. Let them know if they spawn idiot terrorists again we will level the place.
It's baffling to me how little we remember history, in this case, modern history.
I don't see the honor in staying and risking lives for a people who are not willing to stand on their own and fight for their own liberty and country.
This quote reveals the ignorance many Americans have (including the Bush Administration back in the early 2000s) about the majority of peoples living in the Middle East. You want people who are one generation removed from tribalism to understand -- let alone fight for -- their "own liberty and country"?

We were stupid to get ourselves entangled there in the first place. We kicked over a hornet's nest when we overthrew Saddam and now are paying the consequences in order to maintain peace in that region of the world.

It's baffling to me how little we remember history, in this case, modern history.
This quote reveals the ignorance many Americans have (including the Bush Administration back in the early 2000s) about the majority of peoples living in the Middle East. You want people who are one generation removed from tribalism to understand -- let alone fight for -- their "own liberty and country"?

We were stupid to get ourselves entangled there in the first place. We kicked over a hornet's nest when we overthrew Saddam and now are paying the consequences in order to maintain peace in that region of the world.
What consequences are we paying now? That argument was applicable 4 years ago but things have changed dramatically since then.

Trump has a deal in place where the Taliban has agreed to not attack US troops. Now let's say they renege on that deal and attack our troops; would you trust Biden to pose a counter attack that would be anywhere near as deadly as what Trump would do? Biden would probably just go on TV and blame Trump. Trump would bomb the hell out of them for breaking the agreement. Which one emboldens an enemy?
Actually the Taliban has been bombing Afghan Positions...Its why Generals dont want troops taken out..The Generals were going to use the pullout to add to peace treaty..But Trump jumped the gun Its why he fired Esper. Esper was in favor of using pullout as bargaining chip. Joe would actually be left no option but too heavily bomb Afghan Positions. If Taliban led allout attack.

Actually the Taliban has been bombing Afghan Positions...Its why Generals dont want troops taken out..The Generals were going to use the pullout to add to peace treaty..But Trump jumped the gun Its why he fired Esper. Esper was in favor of using pullout as bargaining chip. Joe would actually be left no option but too heavily bomb Afghan Positions. If Taliban led allout attack.
Its not our business if afghans want to kill each other, so why put our troops in harms way?

I am all for pulling out ..But you need plan. Envision obama pulling troops out to early in Iraq. That didn't go well.
Totally different circumstances on the ground. Thats why I say this is way different than it was 4 years ago.

The worst part of this is a preemptive barrier to fossil fuel development in the US will embroil us right back in the Middle East and we’ll see the same old politics that we’ve seen for decades.

Somebody might want to inform Crenshaw whats going on in China and ask if we should have a military force there as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT