ADVERTISEMENT

Why is this a difficult question to answer?

I've actually witnessed several less than stellar interviews on getting back to school. I think they are pushing a plan and trying to figure it out as they go. Essentially, building the plane while they are flying it, this does open you up to questions but I can appreciate do it. It's basically how I've operated for over 30 years.
I did see that they've acknowledge some real issues that need to be addressed like why are teachers, bus drivers, school staff not on a higher level of essential worker list for vaccines. Apparently, in over 20 states a teacher has no higher priority than lower risk civilians. That needs to change and by acknowledging that's the first step.

Reactions: DaShuckster
VP Harris stammered over an answer recently as well. The reason that they can’t answer is because their special interest, teachers’ unions, is at great odds with their electorate and their voting base. So they try to talk about how important it is for kids to be schooled and how we all need to do what it takes to get them to school knowing that they can’t offer those solutions because they’ll lose the unions. I’m actually surprised the msm is asking the initial question but wholly unsurprised when most of them don’t press the non-answer rhetoric.

VP Harris stammered over an answer recently as well. The reason that they can’t answer is because their special interest, teachers’ unions, is at great odds with their electorate and their voting base. So they try to talk about how important it is for kids to be schooled and how we all need to do what it takes to get them to school knowing that they can’t offer those solutions because they’ll lose the unions. I’m actually surprised the msm is asking the initial question but wholly unsurprised when most of them don’t press the non-answer rhetoric.
Yes, I agree. It's real problem for them. They believe and want kids back in school. I believe it's the right decision to send the kids back. We are seeing push back here in Virginia from teachers not wanting to go back. One proposal was to have the kids back in the class and the teachers broadcasting from home.... My thought is why bother. I think from a social standpoint it's imperative they return but my conversations with the school officials indicates that there will be no interaction. Kids will not be allowed within 6 feet of each other and behind desk barriers. I'm not sure under those circumstance it's worth it....

Disappointed with the admin on schools for sure. Biden should be using the bully pulpit to pressure unions and whoever else is in the way - especially K-8. I hope that pressure is behind the scenes right now and he's trying not to inflame that with public statements (yet).

Disappointed with the admin on schools for sure. Biden should be using the bully pulpit to pressure unions and whoever else is in the way - especially K-8. I hope that pressure is behind the scenes right now and he's trying not to inflame that with public statements (yet).
the messaging definitely needs some work. focus on the context of it being Year 2 of the Pandemic and the mental health + development risks especially K-8

then w High Schools recommend block scheduling but remind that it is ultimately up to each individual State

Yes, I agree. It's real problem for them. They believe and want kids back in school. I believe it's the right decision to send the kids back. We are seeing push back here in Virginia from teachers not wanting to go back. One proposal was to have the kids back in the class and the teachers broadcasting from home.... My thought is why bother. I think from a social standpoint it's imperative they return but my conversations with the school officials indicates that there will be no interaction. Kids will not be allowed within 6 feet of each other and behind desk barriers. I'm not sure under those circumstance it's worth it....
I read somewhere recently where the rate of teenage suicide has significantly increased in areas where the schools are closed. It makes sense as kids are isolated to social media interactions and prevented from those healthy extracurriculars, such as sports, that are so important to development and overall health. Assuming that the numbers were right about suicides, then I'd imagine there is also a spike in depression, drug use, and crime among teens in areas where the schools are closed.

I've actually witnessed several less than stellar interviews on getting back to school. I think they are pushing a plan and trying to figure it out as they go. Essentially, building the plane while they are flying it, this does open you up to questions but I can appreciate do it. It's basically how I've operated for over 30 years.
I did see that they've acknowledge some real issues that need to be addressed like why are teachers, bus drivers, school staff not on a higher level of essential worker list for vaccines. Apparently, in over 20 states a teacher has no higher priority than lower risk civilians. That needs to change and by acknowledging that's the first step.
I understand the argument and the talking point, but is there evidence to suggest teachers are more likely to catch Covid than people in other industries while on the job?

I understand the argument and the talking point, but is there evidence to suggest teachers are more likely to catch Covid than people in other industries while on the job?
From what I’ve seen they are less likely but I haven’t done an in-depth analysis. I’m sure some others on here are more up to date.

Reactions: PhDee
From what I’ve seen they are less likely but I haven’t done an in-depth analysis. I’m sure some others on here are more up to date.
I wouldn't be surprised. They are probably better at implementing things that limit the spread than people in other industries and are hyperaware of their own actions and take extra precautions to not bring Covid to the classroom.

I wouldn't be surprised. They are probably better at implementing things that limit the spread than people in other industries and are hyperaware of their own actions and take extra precautions to not bring Covid to the classroom.
That and there have been studies that suggest that kids, especially elementary school children, do not transmit the virus at nearly the same rates as adults.

The CDC has reversed course and said that schools need to be opened. They admitted that they were swayed by the teachers unions in their earlier advice and that was a mistake; that the science shows little risk and the benefits of opening outweigh the negatives and benefits of being closed.

Reactions: PhDee

It's so refreshing to have a press secretary that answers questions again.

The CDC has reversed course and said that schools need to be opened. They admitted that they were swayed by the teachers unions in their earlier advice and that was a mistake; that the science shows little risk and the benefits of opening outweigh the negatives and benefits of being closed.
I don't recall this much angst about grocery story employees working with large populations wearing masks.

But that said, why is this even a federal issue? Last I checked, it's local school boards who make these kinds of decisions, not the President.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT