ADVERTISEMENT

Will COVID impact the Gasparilla Bowl?

ucfjosh2000

Silver Knight
Jan 29, 2003
Orlando, FL
With numbers rising and the high probability that it will only get worse over the next few months, what are the chances the Gasparilla Bowl gets canceled? I bet it’s at least a 25% chance at this point, especially since it’s a sell out. I’m sure the Gators wouldn’t mind at all if this game was canceled.

With numbers rising and the high probability that it will only get worse over the next few months, what are the chances the Gasparilla Bowl gets canceled? I bet it’s at least a 25% chance at this point, especially since it’s a sell out. I’m sure the Gators wouldn’t mind at all if this game was canceled.
I'm thinking 0% chance it gets canceled. Last I heard the state government was opposed to any type of shut down and there's no way in hell the bowl people cancel this matchup- their first sellout. A lot of people will tune in for this one.

Omicron the last time I heard only one person in the US. So far has died as a result of it , it's a head ache, fever ,body aches and it lasts 48 hours . so, with all due respect to Mr. science and the fear mongering press , it truly seems omicron is nothing to truly fear. I don't see it happening either especially with this mild variant.

Then you have this. can anyone point out a single super spreader event occuring st a single college football game all season anywhere in the US? Yah, me neither . It ain't happening anywhere because if it was we would be sure to hear about it .

As I said in the other thread, I don’t think they will cancel the game, we’re less than a week out now. I do think it has been eerily quiet on the player-covid front. With all of sports, especially the nfl, currently being ravaged with positive tests, we have heard nothing about the college players. Seems a bit odd.

It won't get shut down due to crowds and gathering reasons, but if one of the teams has an outbreak that could potentially endanger it. Quite a few NFL and NHL teams dealing with outbreaks right now.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Omicron the last time I heard only one person in the US. So far has died as a result of it , it's a head ache, fever ,body aches and it lasts 48 hours . so, with all due respect to Mr. science and the fear mongering press , it truly seems omicron is nothing to truly fear. I don't see it happening either especially with this mild variant.

Then you have this. can anyone point out a single super spreader event occuring st a single college football game all season anywhere in the US? Yah, me neither . It ain't happening anywhere because if it was we would be sure to hear about it .
All I've seen in the press is saying Omicron is faster to spread but has mild symptoms. I am guessing the US is waiting for more studies (seen 1 from HK and 1 from somewhere in Africa) before giving the all clear

Reactions: knight_tracker

I watched a Doctor on TV saying Omicron spreads much easier, but the symptoms are less critical than delta. He stated that this could take us to herd immunity. With that said; I haven't done any further research on his statement. When I do my research I look at studies and results from other countries I don't trust anything released in our media or the CDC they have an agenda. (No, I am NOT an antivaxxer.... PLEASE DON't take this thread down a Vaccine discussion) Everyone should do their own research and make a decision.

As I said in the other thread, I don’t think they will cancel the game, we’re less than a week out now. I do think it has been eerily quiet on the player-covid front. With all of sports, especially the nfl, currently being ravaged with positive tests, we have heard nothing about the college players. Seems a bit
I watched a Doctor on TV saying Omicron spreads much easier, but the symptoms are less critical than delta. He stated that this could take us to herd immunity. With that said; I haven't done any further research on his statement. When I do my research I look at studies and results from other countries I don't trust anything released in our media or the CDC they have an agenda. (No, I am NOT an antivaxxer.... PLEASE DON't take this thread down a Vaccine discussion) Everyone should do their own research and make a decision.
The term antivaxxer has been politicized to mean anyone who doesnt agree with vaccine mandates. Most of us probably agree that vaccines are important but that it is ultimately up to the individual to decide what is best for them. That being said, your statements are correct regarding the CDC & media.

The term antivaxxer has been politicized to mean anyone who doesn't agree with vaccine mandates. Most of us probably agree that vaccines are important but that it is ultimately up to the individual to decide what is best for them. That being said, your statements are correct regarding the CDC & media.
I stand corrected, thanks for the clarification. I make an effort not to waste any of my time following this debate. "That's all I got to say about that" Forrest Gump

Florida did have the largest case count since September 24 yesterday and this is usually when cases dip low in FL bc our weather patterns are so different from the rest of the country

as long as our players take care the next few Days the game should be fine

Last edited:
As I said in the other thread, I don’t think they will cancel the game, we’re less than a week out now. I do think it has been eerily quiet on the player-covid front. With all of sports, especially the nfl, currently being ravaged with positive tests, we have heard nothing about the college players. Seems a bit odd.
Because why test randomly if you are not sick. That is what I believe the NFL does

0% chance….why, because they are going to make a lot of money. My wife works for an airline and they had a vax mandate that was supposed to kick-in mid-Nov. When they knew they were going to lose a ton of staff, costing them a ton of money over the holidays, they delayed the decision until at least January. Why? Because it’s all about the science, right?!?!

The NFL is benching talent left-and-right, but are they going to cancel any games or require anything from the tens of thousand s in attendance? No. Why….$$$$.

Florida did have the largest case count since September 24 yesterday and this is usually when cases dip low in FL bc our weather patterns are so different from the rest of the country

as long as our players take care the next few Days the game should be fine
These are the probably the same kind of people that sold all thier stocks in 2008/2009 because they were panicked.

Lots of BBall games getting cancelled. There will be bowls that suffer the same fates.

Great excuse for UF? This is so overblown. Even Dem Gov. from Colorado said that the pandemic was over. People are getting regular colds, flu and sore throats these days more than Covid.

0% chance….why, because they are going to make a lot of money. My wife works for an airline and they had a vax mandate that was supposed to kick-in mid-Nov. When they knew they were going to lose a ton of staff, costing them a ton of money over the holidays, they delayed the decision until at least January. Why? Because it’s all about the science, right?!?!

The NFL is benching talent left-and-right, but are they going to cancel any games or require anything from the tens of thousand s in attendance? No. Why….$$$$.
The NBA has a 96% vax rate and theyre keeping Kyrie out bc he is unvaxxed…yet half the league is in covid protocols. ScIeNcE!

NFL to me...."In your face...beeeaaaaattttccchhhhh!"

How many of these players are even symptomatic? Baker Mayfield was like, "I feel perfectly fine." If these guys are all vaccinated and have no symptoms, why shouldn't they play? If they had the flu and played nobody would care. Prior to the pandemic (for a period of 10 years) it was indicated as responsible for ~38.5k deaths/year. Nobody cared, nobody had to wear masks, nobody was forced to be couped-up in their homes, nobody was made to telework, nobody was being forced to take a vaccine or lose their job...in fact, if you played you were seen as a hero or "tough guy".

BTW, over 38K people die in car accidents each year and today I saw several articles indicating there were ~100k overdose deaths between March 2020 and April 2021, of which ~64k were attributed to fentanyl. That's 138K deaths in a year right there. I guess those are acceptable deaths, though. Tomorrow I could drive my car completely unimpaired, speed, purposely run through a red light and kill myself or others (or plow into a group of people standing at a bus stop). For some reason we have some common sense with this, though, and accept the risk of driving cars even though it could be dangerous to ourselves or others.

Last edited:
Reactions: KnightVision82

Media complains that this business is trying to hurt the current administration by saying that the economics (inflation) is forcing them to raise their prices. The science of economics doesn't matter either if it doesn't produce the right narrative these days :)

Where is science these days? Just play ball!

This is politics swallowing up science :)
giphy.gif

Media complains that this business is trying to hurt the current administration by saying that the economics (inflation) is forcing them to raise their prices. The science of economics doesn't matter either if it doesn't produce the right narrative these days :)

Where is science these days? Just play ball!

This is politics swallowing up science :)
giphy.gif
They should just change their name to The $2 Dollar Tree or The Dos Dollar Tree for their Mexico and Miami operations now and be done. Just get ahead of this crazy inflation business and blame it on the supply chain like everyone else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT