ADVERTISEMENT

WOT courage and cowardice

Nautiknight

Golden Knight
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2003
Cullowhee, NC
What I am about to write are two true events that have happened in the last 96 hours.
A friend of mine was in Subway in Mount Dora. There were 2 or 3 Subway girls , my friend and a black lady ahead of my friend in line. The black lady orders some sandwich requiring heating. The Subway lady took her order and put her sandwich in the oven . She then takes my friends order. My friend orders a turkey sub and didn't want it posted. So the Subway girl asks my friend what veggies she wants . Upon hearing the question , the black lady turns to my friend and starts berating her for her white privilege because the Subway girl was making her sandwich first and she was ahead of the line. Yet her sandwich was being toasted.

What happens next is my friend initially ignores this until the black lady goes after the white girls working at Subway. She starts to berate them and calls them racist. At this point my friend steps up and tells the black lady to leave those young people alone. They didnt do anything wrong and she tells the Subway kids she notices they have security cameras and gave them their phone number if the manager wants to know the truth. My friend had courage to defend the innocent against an irrational person berating them.

Last night I went to a local place here in Sylva ,NC called Creekside . They serve ok seafood. I was in my Tundra and had my disabled son Kyke with me. I parked in the left side handicap spot so my son's door would open onto the ramp zone space and I coukd bring his wheel chair along side my truck. I go in to eat. I meet my business partner after work . My wife is in PCB for spring break.

We have a decent meal with blackened Mahi and I come out to load my boy and what do I find before me? A complete ass hole , his girlfriend and their Harley parked in the handicap loading zone between my truck and the white Hyundai SUV in the adjacent handicap spot! He is on his bike and his girlfriend still has her helmet on and taps the guy on his shoulder . He looks over at me and Kyle in his wheel chair and asks, do you want me to move ? I was like yah, if I can't my truck door open to load my son.

I was full on enraged inside. My door does fully open and comes within 2 or 3 inches of his precious Harley. I load my son in the truck and load his wheel chair in the bed . His girlfriend still hasn't removed her helmet and she watches this thing go down and the guy hasn't dismounted from his bike either . I get in my truck and leave.

I was kicking myself all the way home and this morning. I should have told the guy what a selfish jack ass he was and he was breaking the law. I should have had the courage to say it , to defend my son and every other handicap person thus guy has done this too. I didn't. I left there burning mad and that guy and his girl went in and enjoyed their meal.

My friend had courage to step up and do the right thing at that Subway when they stepped in to defend the employees against the uncalled for rage of the customer ahead of them. I stayed silent when the idiot squeezed his Harley in between two cars parked in handicapped spaces . I should have spoken up. My only hope is the guy's girlfriend who watched me load a 140 pound disabled young man into my truck let's her man know he was a jerk.

I need to be more like my friend and do the right thing when the time comes . Doing the right thing is often one of the most difficult things to do especially when it comes to strangers and their bad behaviors towards others. I share these events to encourage you guys to have courage especially to defend the innocent. I need to have that courage myself a bit more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News