ADVERTISEMENT

WOT- Family big gift etiquette question-need input

Vendsit

Silver Knight
Gold Member
Jan 7, 2008
Windermere, Florida
My 85 year old FIL had a health scare recently and since then has started giving some of his assets to the family.

He gave me his fishing/flats boat. It's a 17.5 foot Polar Saltwater Series. He's retired Navy so the boat is immaculate and set up for fishing the flats. It has a brand new Mercury 4 stroke 50hp motor and trolling motor along with two fish finders. He's also giving me all of his rods, reals and fishing tackle.

To be honest, I like to fish but not going out of my way to do it. The biggest issue I have is that I don't have a car to take it anywhere so I would need to buy something if I want to use it. My wife has a company car and I can't put a hitch on it. We live in Windermere and our neighborhood has a private ramp on Lake Butler so it would be easy to use. I used his truck to tow it to my house and it's parked in the garage so it's out of the elements.

The big question is am I obligated to keep it, and for how long before I sell it? I'd hate for him to call me in 6 months and ask me to take him fishing. He lives in Avalon and doesn't really come over to our house. He actually gave his truck to his son so he doesn't drive anymore.

Anyways, just looking for thoughts on the proper thing to do. I don't mind keeping it but not sure how often i would use it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.