ADVERTISEMENT

WOT: Ransomware Pipeline Attack Articles

jj1987

Golden Knight
Gold Member
Sep 13, 2007
Savannah, GA
Since I'm done with my sprint commitments early, I spent much of yesterday scouring the internet for information on the ransomware attack. Thought I'd share a few articles that have solid information since most news is pretty shallow on the subject.

This one does a good job describing past attacks from the view point of a security consulting firm that helps with incident response to these things. If you want the 10,000ft nerd overview, this is it.

Key takeaways
- Companies that segregate data backups are not very vulnerable to this group as they can simply rollback their backups
- 2 factor authentication makes this type of attack nearly impossible as it relies on phishing
- These groups use tools available to most anyone on the web and aren't relying on anything that's really a zero day style attack

Here's another article that shows how they negotiate payment, which is somewhat interesting

Not really much to this article, but it shows they likely didn't understand what they were getting into with this attack

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News