ADVERTISEMENT

Would any of us care about P5

Nautiknight

Golden Knight
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2003
Cullowhee, NC
Would you care about the P5 G5 moniker if the invitational were to be expanded to include auto bid for either the American specifically or a G5 in general?

we all hope and dream of moving on up one day and for some its money and while others its a sign of respect and to be able to be viewed as equals in the P5 world along with the prom date syndrome of being invited to the big dance .

For me if we had a legitimate playoff system in place with UCF gauranteed access to it should we win our conference , I wouldn't care if we joined a P5 conference. Part of me says why would it matter? A legit playoff system would inject some parity into college football because you could go to Bama or Clemson or UCF and play for legit national title. It would not matter if we were still G5. It's a money tag and so far UCF has been doing pretty good in sports. There are many P5 schools frankly pissing away millions and having nothing to show for it. See Vandy, Wake Forest, Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland, The entire Pac12, Nebraska , Kansas,Kansas State and on and on. If They expand the invitational and UCF has a legitimate shot ,then I really don't care if UCF stays in the American. As a fan and alum I am interested in having the shot to compete more than anything else. Expansion of the invitational means merit and winning your conference matters and it takes the elitism of the P5 down a notch.

Now with that said, if a P5 conference asks you to join ,then you gotta do it. However, if the expansion happens in the invitational then the P5 label becomes less important for UCF. Money is nice because you can build stability by paying coaches big bucks to stay here. I do get it. I am thinking though P5 is access and if we had access without it,then why would we push to join a new conference since we are competitive here ?

Reactions: wjustincottrell
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News