ADVERTISEMENT

10th in the AP

I have to ask. Do you truly believe UCF with the pathetic strength of schedule it has deserves even a top 10 ranking currently? Barely beating a Memphis team that is now 4-4 is the best win for UCF. UCF has played no one to earn being respected this season. And sure, go ahead and say, what about Auburn, or all of last season, but that means nothing this season.

5th

UCF schedules an FCS team to get a 7th home game for revenue purposes. Mid tier P5s will do a 1-1, top tier will only do a game at their place. So if you are only scheduling P5 teams you will get at most 6 home games and sometimes only 5.

We just won a road conference game with our backup QB, who has only ever played in garbage time. Ohio State just lost on the road to a 3-3 team. Every game matters. If it's so easy to win how come there are only 5 undefeated teams left? How come there was only one lasy year? Can we help it if several teams we have on our schedule suck. We spanked Pitt 45-14, and they only scored on a punt return and a TD late in garbage time. So after they almost beat Notre Dame, I guess that means we're as good as them. We would have smoked UNC as well...ECU laid a beat down on them.

We're a team that went undefeated and then had to replace the entire staff. Number of teams since 1990 that have had to do this....zero. Number of teams that went undefeated, and the coach was replaced by a coordinator...four. best record produced is 8-5. We're in uncharted territory when it comes to still being able to win games when changing an entire staff top-to-bottom, and implementing a new offense and defense.

We've won our games by an average of 26.28 points per game so far. There are plenty of good teams in the top ten, and if we're wearing a P5 schools jersey we would probably be ranked #3 or #4 right now.

As an example, who has Ohio State beat? One team....Penn State. Here is the rest of their impressive slate of wins: Oregon State, Rutgers, TCU (3-4....best win is Iowa State), Tulane, Indiana, and Minnesota. They also lost to 3-3 Purdue.

My question for you is why you think we wouldn't be at least 7-1 playing that schedule?

You can do the same thing with several other teams in the top 15 as well. So, do I think we belong in the top 10...an emphatic "Yes!"

You won a road game with your backup QB against ECU, that isn't much of an accomplishment to be fair. ECU is hot trash right now. Also, if the UNC game hadn't been cancelled that adds literally nothing to your schedule seeing as UNC is a 1 win team. Saying you went undefeated, had to replace your staff and are undefeated again has zero weight on a ranking. Congrats, you get a pat on the back for that, but it has nothing to do with caliber of team in comparison to other teams. If you were wearing a P5 jersey you would have played at least one team that has a winning record by now, so saying you would be #3 or 4 is presumptuous considering the schedule would change. You actually address this with saying if you had Ohio St's schedule, and you gave yourself a 7-1 record. You are currently ranked right by Ohio St, who has a 7-1 record, meaning that you just made the argument that you are ranked exactly where you would be if you had Ohio St's schedule. You literally made my argument for strength of schedule for me, so thank you.

Imo, strength of schedule should only come into the equation if you lose. If you beat everyone, there isnt much empirical evidence to use against you. Sure, the eyeball test is important and its why i dont think UCF is a top 5 team, but there is still no actual proof that they can be beat.

You guys will probably disagree with this, but I actually think Nebraska is a much better team than the dumpster fire its made out to be. Just looking at the schedule, opponents are a combined 34-17 against opponents who 3 of which are leading their conference, and only 1 game was a blowout. The least quality loss came against a team who just blew out Ohio St. This is an example of where strength of schedule is useful. Or Ohio St who has only 1 quality win, and thats against a team that really doesnt look all that great anymore.

Imo, strength of schedule should only come into the equation if you lose. If you beat everyone, there isnt much empirical evidence to use against you. Sure, the eyeball test is important and its why i dont think UCF is a top 5 team, but there is still no actual proof that they can be beat.

See that just doesn't work, because imagine, and yes this is a ludicrous hypothetical, but imagine if a team like Vanderbilt had the schedule of UTEP, San Jose State, Bowling Green, UConn, Rice, Oregon St, Rutgers, Central Mich, Kent St, Texas St, and an FCS team. I believe even Vanderbilt could win all those games. Now, yes that would never happen, but it makes a point that there are clear differences in schedules that make it easier to win all your games.

See that just doesn't work, because imagine, and yes this is a ludicrous hypothetical, but imagine if a team like Vanderbilt had the schedule of UTEP, San Jose State, Bowling Green, UConn, Rice, Oregon St, Rutgers, Central Mich, Kent St, Texas St, and an FCS team. I believe even Vanderbilt could win all those games. Now, yes that would never happen, but it makes a point that there are clear differences in schedules that make it easier to win all your games.

Rutgers? Im going to assume that was a mistake to include them because anybody who gets through that schedule undefeated is pretty dang good.

As far as the premise, sure but I doubt they would run the table in any of those scenarios other than possibly the FCS one. I would venture to guess that 95% of P5 teams wouldnt go undefeated with UCFs schedule, simply because going undefeated is pretty hard to do. There arent 2 distinct levels of competition in D1 football like some would make it out to be. If that was the case then just split it into 2 or 3 groups and give each an opportunity to win a title in their respective division.

You won a road game with your backup QB against ECU, that isn't much of an accomplishment to be fair. ECU is hot trash right now. Also, if the UNC game hadn't been cancelled that adds literally nothing to your schedule seeing as UNC is a 1 win team. Saying you went undefeated, had to replace your staff and are undefeated again has zero weight on a ranking. Congrats, you get a pat on the back for that, but it has nothing to do with caliber of team in comparison to other teams. If you were wearing a P5 jersey you would have played at least one team that has a winning record by now, so saying you would be #3 or 4 is presumptuous considering the schedule would change. You actually address this with saying if you had Ohio St's schedule, and you gave yourself a 7-1 record. You are currently ranked right by Ohio St, who has a 7-1 record, meaning that you just made the argument that you are ranked exactly where you would be if you had Ohio St's schedule. You literally made my argument for strength of schedule for me, so thank you.
The argument is that had Ohio State won against ECU with a backup QB, they would have moved up. Had UCF just gotten their first loss against a middling P5, they would be moved way the hell down.

It's not that we're saying we're a top 3 team, but that we would be treated as one if we were P5. Whether that is valid or not, it's a double standard.

Also, if the UNC game hadn't been cancelled that adds literally nothing to your schedule seeing as UNC is a 1 win team.

As it ended up this year, I agree with you. However, that doesn't stop the professional talkers of the world using it as a reason why the rest of the world should ignore UCF.

I believe even Vanderbilt could win all those games.

Just waiting on that invite from the SEC! We'd be happy to replace Vandy!

Anyone ever break down the cost per win with football program budget? I would be curious to see a top-flight SEC/B1G school vs. UCF. How do we compare cost per win?

Always the same argument....if you played “our” schedule or we played “your” schedule...

If you played “our” schedule you’d have to recruit like we do and get like 3-4 million dollars per year. If we played “your” schedule we would be getting 30-50 million/yr and our already stellar team would be riddled top-to-bottom with 4 and 5 star recruits.

As it ended up this year, I agree with you. However, that doesn't stop the professional talkers of the world using it as a reason why the rest of the world should ignore UCF.

Anyone ever break down the cost per win with football program budget? I would be curious to see a top-flight SEC/B1G school vs. UCF. How do we compare cost per win?
We won a Natty effectively paying our last head coach 350k per year. Stellar on the field. Stellar on our budgets.

Reactions: Mikesi
Rutgers? Im going to assume that was a mistake to include them because anybody who gets through that schedule undefeated is pretty dang good.

As far as the premise, sure but I doubt they would run the table in any of those scenarios other than possibly the FCS one. I would venture to guess that 95% of P5 teams wouldnt go undefeated with UCFs schedule, simply because going undefeated is pretty hard to do. There arent 2 distinct levels of competition in D1 football like some would make it out to be. If that was the case then just split it into 2 or 3 groups and give each an opportunity to win a title in their respective division.
Minor correction: D1 is split up into FCS and FBS. Your point remains.

Always the same argument....if you played “our” schedule or we played “your” schedule...

If you played “our” schedule you’d have to recruit like we do and get like 3-4 million dollars per year. If we played “your” schedule we would be getting 30-50 million/yr and our already stellar team would be riddled top-to-bottom with 4 and 5 star recruits.
This is alway the correct argument that no P5 elitist ever seems to have an answer for

Shuts them up EVERY TIME!

The 10 teams I listed, including Rutgers at 1-7, have a combined record on the season of 8-67, so yes, even Vandy could handle them all. The fact that you thought Rutgers to be scary shows you either haven't followed them this season at all and think usually mid tier teams are scary, or that you think a 1-7 team is scary, either case is bad.

UNC is mid tier in it's best seasons, so they still aren't a big game. UCF has not made much if any petition for joining the SEC, they've tried the ACC, so I'll give you that, but let's keep our facts straight here.

The real issue is that UCF's current conference schedule is so pitiful that it just doesn't hold weight in moving it up. The reason they would need better OOC games is to balance the weak in conference games. If they played in a different conference where they have to face top 25, top 15, top 10 teams 2-4 times every year, then sure, have some weak or mid tier OOC games, but that just isn't the case. Yes, I understand teams have cancelled games, but keep pushing for more of those games, and don't try justifying your schedule as being strong when it clearly is very weak.

The 10 teams I listed, including Rutgers at 1-7, have a combined record on the season of 8-67, so yes, even Vandy could handle them all. The fact that you thought Rutgers to be scary shows you either haven't followed them this season at all and think usually mid tier teams are scary, or that you think a 1-7 team is scary, either case is bad.

UNC is mid tier in it's best seasons, so they still aren't a big game. UCF has not made much if any petition for joining the SEC, they've tried the ACC, so I'll give you that, but let's keep our facts straight here.

The real issue is that UCF's current conference schedule is so pitiful that it just doesn't hold weight in moving it up. The reason they would need better OOC games is to balance the weak in conference games. If they played in a different conference where they have to face top 25, top 15, top 10 teams 2-4 times every year, then sure, have some weak or mid tier OOC games, but that just isn't the case. Yes, I understand teams have cancelled games, but keep pushing for more of those games, and don't try justifying your schedule as being strong when it clearly is very weak.

No one is stating we have the strongest schedule in the land. You are assuming our AD isn’t trying to get marquee matchups that work for both parties, which I believe he is doing good work in that department (Stanford, Louisville, Pitt, UNC, GT to name a few). We can’t help that these teams are good or not during the season, and that two P5 games on our schedule were cancelled due to Hurricanes. Most P5 teams see no benefit to putting us on the schedule (they’re not scared, just more beneficial games than us)

Either way, access to a true playoff is based on results (win your conference, best record of the rest, etc.), not a committee of people who by opinion puts 4 teams out of 130 into an invitational. This is why the playoff is not “sanctioned” by the NCAA (only trophy in NCAA that doesn’t have the NCAA logo). This is the argument that UCF fans are trying to make and posters like yourself will never get because, well, “Tradition!!!!” UCF is fighting the tradition and we’re loving it!

No one is stating we have the strongest schedule in the land. You are assuming our AD isn’t trying to get marquee matchups that work for both parties, which I believe he is doing good work in that department (Stanford, Louisville, Pitt, UNC, GT to name a few). We can’t help that these teams are good or not during the season, and that two P5 games on our schedule were cancelled due to Hurricanes. Most P5 teams see no benefit to putting us on the schedule (they’re not scared, just more beneficial games than us)

Either way, access to a true playoff is based on results (win your conference, best record of the rest, etc.), not a committee of people who by opinion puts 4 teams out of 130 into an invitational. This is why the playoff is not “sanctioned” by the NCAA (only trophy in NCAA that doesn’t have the NCAA logo). This is the argument that UCF fans are trying to make and posters like yourself will never get because, well, “Tradition!!!!” UCF is fighting the tradition and we’re loving it!
Stanford is consistently good. Louisville has had a couple good seasons lately, this season they are abysmal, historically they are mid tier. Pitt in the distant past was great, they are now mid tier. UNC is bad to mid tier. GT hasn't been above mid tier for a while now. As I said before, in order to be taken seriously you need a schedule like 2016 Houston. Houston is a team that is in your conference and consistently has a good OOC schedule, so don't try making the argument that P5 teams can't find a way to play a team like you, cause they already do.

Stanford is consistently good. Louisville has had a couple good seasons lately, this season they are abysmal, historically they are mid tier. Pitt in the distant past was great, they are now mid tier. UNC is bad to mid tier. GT hasn't been above mid tier for a while now. As I said before, in order to be taken seriously you need a schedule like 2016 Houston. Houston is a team that is in your conference and consistently has a good OOC schedule, so don't try making the argument that P5 teams can't find a way to play a team like you, cause they already do.
We’ve won the AAC more times than every other team, including Houston. The year they won it was our winless year I believe.

The 10 teams I listed, including Rutgers at 1-7, have a combined record on the season of 8-67, so yes, even Vandy could handle them all. The fact that yopu thought Rutgers to be scary shows you either haven't followed them this season at all and think usually mid tier teams are scary, or that you think a 1-7 team is scary, either case is bad.

I misunderstood your point. I thought you were suggesting that if Vandy had Rutgers' schedule that they would go undefeated.

Minor correction: D1 is split up into FCS and FBS. Your point remains.

Honestly, FBS probably should be split into 2 groups. 1st division would be 8-8 team conferences and every conference champ would be in a playoff. 2nd division could do the same. Inter-league play would be fine, and the teams shouldnt neceasarily be static. Of course this will never happen, but it would make more sense for the players.

Reactions: ucf_71127

P5’s will schedule 2 for 1’s with us and then cancel (ie texas), and if we accept, we are giving up future home games and revenue that we need and will not recoup via a tv deal like P5’s will.

Again, the point you are missing is that for us to be considered we have to meet criteria that changes every year based on people instead of a system based on wins and losses.

We’ve won the AAC more times than every other team, including Houston. The year they won it was our winless year I believe.
That isn't what I was arguing... The 2016 season, Houston played two teams that ENDED the year in the top 15, and beat them both. If they hadn't lost conference games, and had won out, they would have had a very good reason to be in the CFP. And in 2016, you had a decent schedule too, but you lost to Maryland and #10 Michigan, as well as some conference games. The issue is, that season you played better OOC games and lost. Houston regularly schedules good OOC games and win sometimes win, and sometimes lose, but if they win, then they at least have a resume to put forward that people won't laugh at.

Similar to Euro League soccer, I love it, but agree that it will never happen.

UCF scheduled UNC immediately after they went 11-1 and lost to Clemson in the AAC championship by 7 with a spot in the CFP on the line. So no they weren’t mid to bad tier when the game was scheduled.

Reactions: Mikesi and ahabmw
UCF scheduled UNC immediately after they went 11-1 and lost to Clemson in the AAC championship by 7 with a spot in the CFP on the line. So no they weren’t mid to bad tier when the game was scheduled.
UNC had a good year, wow, so do many teams. That doesn't mean they are a team that is going to be good repeatedly. Any athletic director would know that and in scheduling them be fulling expecting them to go back to where they had been in previous years.

UNC had a good year, wow, so do many teams. That doesn't mean they are a team that is going to be good repeatedly. Any athletic director would know that and in scheduling them be fulling expecting them to go back to where they had been in previous years.

How many programs are there that you can schedule and have a high certainty they'll be a top 15 team by the time that game comes around?

So who would you recommend scheduling genius? A team like miami had had lost at least 5 games in 5 of 6 seasons before we scheduled UNC? Clemson who never plays AAC opponents. Alabama who never plays non conference road game? Ohio State we actually played relatively recently but they won’t play on the road either.

Reactions: Knight Strength
We just won a road conference game with our backup QB, who has only ever played in garbage time. Ohio State just lost on the road to a 3-3 team. Every game matters. If it's so easy to win how come there are only 5 undefeated teams left? How come there was only one lasy year? Can we help it if several teams we have on our schedule suck. We spanked Pitt 45-14, and they only scored on a punt return and a TD late in garbage time. So after they almost beat Notre Dame, I guess that means we're as good as them. We would have smoked UNC as well...ECU laid a beat down on them.

We're a team that went undefeated and then had to replace the entire staff. Number of teams since 1990 that have had to do this....zero. Number of teams that went undefeated, and the coach was replaced by a coordinator...four. best record produced is 8-5. We're in uncharted territory when it comes to still being able to win games when changing an entire staff top-to-bottom, and implementing a new offense and defense.

We've won our games by an average of 26.28 points per game so far. There are plenty of good teams in the top ten, and if we're wearing a P5 schools jersey we would probably be ranked #3 or #4 right now.

As an example, who has Ohio State beat? One team....Penn State. Here is the rest of their impressive slate of wins: Oregon State, Rutgers, TCU (3-4....best win is Iowa State), Tulane, Indiana, and Minnesota. They also lost to 3-3 Purdue.

My question for you is why you think we wouldn't be at least 7-1 playing that schedule?

You can do the same thing with several other teams in the top 15 as well. So, do I think we belong in the top 10...an emphatic "Yes!"

Great insight. Thanks.

UCF schedules an FCS team to get a 7th home game for revenue purposes. Mid tier P5s will do a 1-1, top tier will only do a game at their place. So if you are only scheduling P5 teams you will get at most 6 home games and sometimes only 5.

It really sucks having to make tough financial decisions that the P5 never have to worry about having 10x the revenue.

Reactions: Knight Strength
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT