ADVERTISEMENT

2 Questions

mach3ucf

Golden Knight
Apr 24, 2003
1st Question is How long after meeting someone until they should pop the question?
What would you consider a just about right amount of time to figure out if you know the person/ truly love them?

2nd Question is Age difference in Couples.. Do you think Age should play a factor? If she is 2 to 20 years older, At what age is too old for men.. likewise for women.. If he is 3 to 25 years older?

Reactions: UCFBS
1st Question is How long after meeting someone until they should pop the question?
What would you consider a just about right amount of time to figure out if you know the person/ truly love them?

2nd Question is Age difference in Couples.. Do you think Age should play a factor? If she is 2 to 20 years older, At what age is too old for men.. likewise for women.. If he is 3 to 25 years older?

If you are gathering opinions on a message board (especially this one) on what people think, its probably not a good sign. If you really wanted to do it, you would just do it, and say FCUK random people's opinions.

1. Why are you waiting for them to pop the question? Shouldn't you be the one doing that?

2. Age only matters for statutory rape. Go get your cougar.

This is sounding like a son or daughter issue. ;)

If so, personal reflection/anecdotal ...
I wanted to marry my wife within a week of meeting her.
But I waited for 9 months before getting engaged, and fulfilled my promise to my parents to graduate from college before marrying her, which was over 2 years after the engagement, nearly 3 full years from meeting her. But here I am, nearly 23 years later, nearly 20 married, and not single woman I have ever met is anything like her.

Now from my mother's perspective ...
I moved too fast, and my mother did not want me to marry the woman I did, doing everything to sabotage it. The irony here is that my parents married within 3 months, and my mother's parents hated my father too. But they've now been married 45 years themselves.

All that and ...
Who's my mother's favorite person now? My wife.
So, again ...

If this is your son or daughter ... beware of what you think. Focus more on how they interact and treat one another. That's what is important. Not these questions.

If this is for yourself ... be yourself. Forget the time, age, etc..., unless those contribute to issues (e.g., not finding similar things to like or enjoy together, being from different generations/time periods, etc...)

That all said ...
Cue the mom/wife comments, the 'services' at Millican Hall remarks, and remember ... if you're not making fun of UCFBS, you're not having fun.

Last edited:
Mach received his first "Like" from a girl on JDate and is planning to propose if she agrees to meet him IRL.

In all seriousness, unless he's purposely trolling, I would honestly like to hear more from Mach on this.

'What do we live for, if not to make life less difficult for each other?' -- George Eliot​

Not that we'd ever consider such a quote and corresponding approach for the Cooler, right?

No, really a friend of mine just got engaged..
She is 9 years older than him.. aka she is 36..
& how long did they date, less than 3 weeks..

For women I guess I have a wrong view..
But I think a women can marry a guy maybe 3 or 4 years younger, and like 10-12 years older..
But for a Guy.. Really she should maybe be 1 or 2 years older.. and hey.. I think a max of 10-12 years younger is about a good age range as well..
Less than 3 weeks is also, as I said. a bit too fast.. but best of luck to them..

10 year window if dating down. 2 year window if dating older.

People need to follow the "half your age plus seven rule". It provides the best guidance.
And three weeks? They haven't had a chance to see how the other person handles conflict, money, or hormones.

No, really a friend of mine just got engaged..
She is 9 years older than him.. aka she is 36..
So 27 and 36, that's not really much at all. Both are well into their adulthood, likely their careers, etc...

& how long did they date, less than 3 weeks...
Interesting. I'd be more curious what has developed over those 3 weeks.

For example ... personal/anecdotal ...
although I got engaged after 9 months, I only saw my wife (to be) every other week. It was long-distance when we first meet, her at Georgia, myself at UCF. So we really only had 50 "days together," if you look at it. And, as I said, I kinda wanted to marry her after our first week together.

I had lots of girlfriends in high school and very early college, but most never more than a month, other than two. My wife was completely different than any of them. She was the first woman I thought who loved me for me, not my figure, or whatever they thought I was (which was quickly spoiled for them as I was really a nerd/geek).

So it's difficult to mark it based on calendar time. It's really about how much they know one another. You should talk to him, about all the things they've discussed. Everything from their goals for their lives, their finances, even sharing their deepest secrets.

If he is a close friend, then you should know some of those secrets. Ask him if he's shared them with her. That might help you know how close they are, how much trust has been built. That's really what marriage is about, at least mine, trust, openness, holding nothing back. Other marriages may differ though.

For women I guess I have a wrong view..
But I think a women can marry a guy maybe 3 or 4 years younger, and like 10-12 years older..
But for a Guy.. Really she should maybe be 1 or 2 years older.. and hey.. I think a max of 10-12 years younger is about a good age range as well..
It's less than a generation. A full generation can be difficult to deal with. But some do it. Some are out of their time too.

At age 18, I nearly (well, actually for me, I totally) fell in love with a 32 woman, married, kids, the most complex reality you can think of. Luckily she was married, kept it from going too far, getting too serious. I was too immature for it too. While she would have been good for me, I might have not been good for her, at least not for a few years.

But someone at age 27? He's likely just fine. And her being 36? She could be a great move for him.

Less than 3 weeks is also, as I said. a bit too fast.. but best of luck to them..
As I said, it's really about how much time they've had together, and what that time has done. Calendar time can be a misnomer. Again, ask him what I mentioned above.

I still don't understand how/why my parents married, and barely 3 months after they started dating. Even to this day, my parents just said, 'it was time in our lives to get married.' They are still together after 45 years, and they really love each other too. I don't try to ask them to explain it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT