ADVERTISEMENT

It doesn't matter who we're playing, we're a run/pass team

Yaes

Bronze Knight
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2017
I was listening to Gus speak about the K State game when talking about the upcoming Baylor game and he said something to the effect: "Bottom line is, for us to be effective we’ve gotta be effective running the football. It doesn’t matter who we’re playing, we’re a run/passing team." Listening ,this and what he said before, two things became clear to me. One, Gus really doesn't like to pass. He will but seemingly reluctantly. He is a run first coach and pass if I have to second. So, my questions are: what happens when you discover in practice, or in a game, you, for whatever reason, aren't effective running the football? Or, let's say, your star running backs are banged up? What do you do, just try to keep running it? Or do you have to have an equally effective passing game and not dislike using it? Seems to me I've heard "the pass sets up the run as does the run set up the pass." I am beginning to think that one of our greatest problems may be we are not very adaptable to the talent we have or, in a game, what the opposing team throws at us. You always coaches and players say, "they threw something new at us" or "we saw something we were't expecting." Of course they did. Isn't that part of a good game plan? The same is true with players. Shouldn't you play to their strengths, or should you just stick with what you like or created a long time ago whether you have the players or not? I think I like the military concept better: "Improvise, adapt, overcome!" Maybe we need to be more adaptable and improvise more so that we have a better chance at overcoming. Sorry, just the ramblings of a tired old man.

Last edited:
I think you're seeing this play out in recruiting as well - RBs are drawn to this system while big play WRs and passing QBs may not be because they want to put up big passing game numbers to impress for the NFL. My biggest question remains whether Gus get a truly elite dual threat QB to come to UCF to play in this offense.

Reactions: Yaes
I think you're seeing this play out in recruiting as well - RBs are drawn to this system while big play WRs and passing QBs may not be because they want to put up big passing game numbers to impress for the NFL. My biggest question remains whether Gus get a truly elite dual threat QB to come to UCF to play in this offense.
How many of these elite QBs do you think there are who can run and pass equally and withstand the wear and tear?

Reactions: Guinness_Knight
How many of these elite QBs do you think there are who can run and pass equally and withstand the wear and tear?
It's not a big number. Have to have an element of luck to it, like UCF getting Culpepper or Auburn landing Cam as a transfer. We can have some decent success without getting a guy like that but to have a chance at doing something special and making a run in a playoff format we're gonna need that next level talent at the most important position.

Reactions: Yaes
This👆. He should have enough experience and data by now to know that his “system” requires a unicorn type player that may come around 1x in a few generations. It’s preposterous to insist on sticking to it at all costs.

Reactions: Yaes and muckdawg24
Part of me thinks we're not going to get an "Elite" QB out of HS until we contend for a BIG XII title. But then I look at someone like Malachi Singleton, and the only school he visited more than us was the school he ended up with, and it makes me think maybe we're not that far off. I believe ultimately we lost out on him with GJ leaving the program.

At least with Dylan and Riley we've got bigger kids. EJ is more JRP sized. Riley is the most interesting simply because he does not look like a typical Gus QB. Looks smooth, almost slow tbh, not fast twitch, nice throwing motion.

Seemed like McClain got pass plays called a lot, but did a lot of scrambling to buy time. One time he aired the ball out like it was a pop fly and was lucky for a reciever to get underneath it, another time he made a terrible throw on the run and it was picked off. At the end of the game he shied away from throwing, my guess is because Malzahn ripped him for making dangerous passes.

Reactions: Wings0fred
It's not a big number. Have to have an element of luck to it, like UCF getting Culpepper or Auburn landing Cam as a transfer. We can have some decent success without getting a guy like that but to have a chance at doing something special and making a run in a playoff format we're gonna need that next level talent at the most important position.
I mean we score 31 at K-State. That's not too bad of an offense. The defense just can't hold out with the talent we don't have (especially in the 2nd half). It's simply not there. We're not there yet talent wise. Probably need more NIL $$$ etc.

Reactions: 90Knight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT