20% herd immunity

Crazyhole

Diamond Knight
Jun 4, 2004
I'm calling my shot. Covid needs 20% for herd immunity. With only 1 in 10 people being symptomatic and actually getting tested, Florida will achieve herd immunity this week or next and the number of new cases will begin to decline dramatically.

KNIGHTTIME^

Golden Knight
Nov 27, 2005
I'm calling my shot. Covid needs 20% for herd immunity. With only 1 in 10 people being symptomatic and actually getting tested, Florida will achieve herd immunity this week or next and the number of new cases will begin to decline dramatically.
Insiders at Advent Health predicted it peaks in July in Florida.

Reactions: Crazyhole

goodknightfl

Todd's Tiki Bar
Dec 20, 2002
I expect we have or are peaking, Who knows how many have had it though. As for testing, many now getting test do not have any symptoms.

Last edited:

Crazyhole

Diamond Knight
Jun 4, 2004
Insiders at Advent Health predicted it peaks in July in Florida.
Makes sense. We are starting to get a much clearer picture of what he R/0 is and where it drops to 1. Florida should be close to getting there. I'm willing to bet that by the time this is all said and done, Florida's curve will be smack dab in the middle in comparison to other states. Those with the highest population density will have the shortest curve and the rural states will have the longest. Shutdowns will have no relevance in the curve.

fried-chicken

Golden Knight
Jan 27, 2011
Call your shot with numbers and dates or youll just weasel out of it when youre wrong.

Ucfmikes

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Jun 6, 2015
Ran by an upscale restaurant/shopping area in Orlando last night. ALMOST, every single place that I frequented pre-Covid was closed down permanently. Sad. A Employees are probably mostly still unemployed

Croods will be Croods.

goodknightfl

Todd's Tiki Bar
Dec 20, 2002
Restaurants, theaters, Bars and Gyms will be slow in recovering, and many never will. The damage this has done will persist for a long time. The economy as a whole will bounce back, but the world may look quite a bit different.

Crazyhole

Diamond Knight
Jun 4, 2004
It would be a shame if FC and his lib friends ghosted this thread after all we've been through together.

KNIGHTTIME^

Golden Knight
Nov 27, 2005
Florida the last two days is trending way down. Advent Health thought July would be the peak in Florida. Looks accurate

goodknightfl

Todd's Tiki Bar
Dec 20, 2002
Glad #s are coming down, but remember testing stations closed over the weekend for the storm. Many of those low/no testing #s would not have been seen yet, but some would have been. Don't be surprised or fooled if there is a 2 to 4 day drop that is larger than you would expect. Death #s may tell you more than new positives over the next couple of days.

fried-chicken

Golden Knight
Jan 27, 2011
Florida tested 32,000 people. Maybe they are going with the trump plan to control the numbers. They had been testing 50k-60k

Crazyhole

Diamond Knight
Jun 4, 2004
Correct about what? 20% herd immunity?
20%, maybe 25% based on 10% of positives being reported. There's some wiggle room there, but in general when a state or country reaches that level the R/0 will drop below 1 and cases will begin dropping. Florida got there last week and the cases are now going to drop exponentially just like new york, which is the best example of the virus spreading unimpeded.

Boosted87

Bronze Knight
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Brevard
20%, maybe 25% based on 10% of positives being reported. There's some wiggle room there, but in general when a state or country reaches that level the R/0 will drop below 1 and cases will begin dropping. Florida got there last week and the cases are now going to drop exponentially just like new york, which is the best example of the virus spreading unimpeded.
Are you basing this on new social norms - distancing and masks? The guy behind the MIT model says that herd immunity effects appear to kick in between 10-35% prevelance. But that's contingent on our "new normal" levels of distance. If everything returned to Feb levels of contact then HIT is going to jump back to that ~70% or whatever it is.

Crazyhole

Diamond Knight
Jun 4, 2004
Are you basing this on new social norms - distancing and masks? The guy behind the MIT model says that herd immunity effects appear to kick in between 10-35% prevelance. But that's contingent on our "new normal" levels of distance. If everything returned to Feb levels of contact then HIT is going to jump back to that ~70% or whatever it is.
Basing it on unimpeded spread like we saw in New York. The R/0 is way lower than we thought. New normals and masking don't affect the level of contagion for the virus itself. It had opportunity to spread in the wild and obviously it wasn't as high as predicted.

Crazyhole

Diamond Knight
Jun 4, 2004
Is it time for my mea-culpa on this?

Boosted87

Bronze Knight
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Brevard
Basing it on unimpeded spread like we saw in New York. The R/0 is way lower than we thought. New normals and masking don't affect the level of contagion for the virus itself. It had opportunity to spread in the wild and obviously it wasn't as high as predicted.
You're doing this wrong.

The R0 is not way lower than we thought. R0 is the reproductive number absent mitigation. Rt is the real time number that changes based on BOTH behavior and the ratio of susceptible to immune individuals.

So if you hold behavior constant, but decrease the number of susceptible individuals, then Rt goes down. So imagine two communities with identical population densities and behavior. One has a 20% infection rate and one has a 5% infection rate. The Rt for the 20% infected group will be LOWER than then the 5% group with identical behavior.

That's what you're seeing. A hard hit area that's taking the virus seriously has an easier time controlling spread than an equivalent area not yet hit hard.

Really recommend the link below if you want to dig into this (via the guy behind the "MIT" model). He's saying that we're seeing herd immunity benefits between 10-35% infection rates. But he's quick to point out that is contingent on distancing. Relieve the distancing and that shoots back up to the ~70%.

Crazyhole

Diamond Knight
Jun 4, 2004
You're doing this wrong.

The R0 is not way lower than we thought. R0 is the reproductive number absent mitigation. Rt is the real time number that changes based on BOTH behavior and the ratio of susceptible to immune individuals.

So if you hold behavior constant, but decrease the number of susceptible individuals, then Rt goes down. So imagine two communities with identical population densities and behavior. One has a 20% infection rate and one has a 5% infection rate. The Rt for the 20% infected group will be LOWER than then the 5% group with identical behavior.

That's what you're seeing. A hard hit area that's taking the virus seriously has an easier time controlling spread than an equivalent area not yet hit hard.

Really recommend the link below if you want to dig into this (via the guy behind the "MIT" model). He's saying that we're seeing herd immunity benefits between 10-35% infection rates. But he's quick to point out that is contingent on distancing. Relieve the distancing and that shoots back up to the ~70%.

So basically what you're saying is that I'm right and herd immunity happens around 20%.

UCFKnight85

GOL's Inner Circle
Gold Member
May 6, 2003
Andrew Cuomo assured that death would sweep across his state in such incredible fashion that he's earned himself a speaking gig at the DNC Convention.

Crazyhole

Diamond Knight
Jun 4, 2004
You're so close but yet not.
I feel like what you are saying is akin to saying that the R0 of HIV would be much higher if we all go have unprotected sex with dozens of people every day. Yeah, obviously that is true but its not a real life scenario. What I'm saying is that based on our lifetyles, once 20% of people in a community, state, etc get this the numbers will flatten and the R0 will be below 1.