ADVERTISEMENT

AAC has another shot at Big 12 team

These wins are definitely good no doubt.
Preferably during the regular season of course.
The powers that be though aren't blind to the fact of years like 2014 when our conference champs averaged 3 and 4 losses that year.

Memphis was just destroying teams before they played us. They definitely have improved throughout the season and since they were played us the first time

I expect a good quality win vs an Iowa State team that actually was in the CFP conversation for awhile before they laid a few eggs. They beat Oklahoma and TCU

It has nothing to do with performance. All this P5 stuff with the CFP committee is money driven. The AAC teams could go 20-0 versus P5 schools in the regular season and they'd still freeze us out.

If the AAC wants a true "P6" status, we need to get media deals with ESPN and Fox Sports equal to P5 conferences. You don't get those unless you have the same ratings.

I thought Cleveland was holding out for a landing spot in the Sunbelt Conference!
First it was C-USA, then Lane signed the 10 year contract and they started looking at the Sunbelt. But they wanted the Cavs too, so that was a no-go. MAC is geographically friendly and average fan support is on par.

Reactions: NestaKnight1
If the AAC wants a true "P6" status, we need to get media deals with ESPN and Fox Sports equal to P5 conferences. You don't get those unless you have the same ratings.

The AAC's ratings are not as far behind the "power" conferences as P5 apologists would like you to believe. If we were being paid fairly (based on the number of actual viewers over the past couple years compared to P5 conferences) each AAC team would be getting $13M - $15M per year.

I think the AAC championship was a real test for us. Memphis is a good team and brought its A game. UCF withstood and fought hard. I expect Memphis to roll on offense. I hope they beat Iowa State particularly because Iowa State was the darling of the media for a period of time

I expect a good quality win vs an Iowa State team that actually was in the CFP conversation for awhile before they laid a few eggs. They beat Oklahoma and TCU
and i believe were ranked higher than us for awhile because of those wins

It has nothing to do with performance. All this P5 stuff with the CFP committee is money driven. The AAC teams could go 20-0 versus P5 schools in the regular season and they'd still freeze us out.

Exactly, "P6" is a cool PR tool, but we're not P6 until we have a rep in the playoff room.

Where can I see the ratings comparisons?

The only thing that exists as far as I know is informal analysis of TV viewership numbers by a couple people that posted it in the Dungeon this past summer. I posted a one season comparison between the AAC and the ACC.

There were a few comparisons that really made the AAC look good, such as...

Network (ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX) Early Afternoon (11 AM – 3 PM Start Time)
ACC: 6 Games / 22,291,000 Total TV Viewers / Avg of 3,715,167
American: 5 Games / 16,646,000 Total TV Viewers / Avg of 3,329,200
Of note, the Houston vs Memphis game on ABC drew significantly more viewers (3,093,000) than Louisville vs NC State and Louisville vs Virginia games on ABC in the early afternoon slot.

And, of course there were comparisons that made the AAC look really bad, such as...

Secondary Sports Channels (ESPNU/ESPNews/Fox Sports 2) Early Evening (6 PM – 9 PM Start Time)
ACC: 1 Game / 828,000 TV Viewers
American: 5 Games / 850,000 Total TV Viewers / Avg of 170,000

But overall, my analysis showed the "average of the averages" put AAC viewership at just under 50% of the ACC viewership.

Someone else in the Dungeon had done a more in depth analysis of the AAC vs all other P6 conferences broken down by TV network, day, and timeslot, and concluded that the AAC averages were about 70% of the averages of the other P6 conferences.

We know the other P6 conferences get between $20 million - $31 million per team each year, so it is pretty clear that the AAC is getting underpaid by anywhere from $9 million - $15 million er team per year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT