ADVERTISEMENT

After win #23, I'm feeling the coverage starting to change

atsKnight

Five-Star Recruit
Apr 9, 2011
After doing a great job hosting Gameday and the defense dominating Cincy, I feel like the tone is changing in the write-ups, Twitter, and even Herbie. Our detractors are shrinking and I'm hearing a lot more "UCF just wants respect" than "pretend champions complaining again".

Am I imagining it or are y'all seeing/hearing the same thing?

Ya, the conversation changed today. Now Herbie is fully ok with us being 5-10, at least.

That's still a slap in the face. He's saying your good just not that good. It's not like the top 4 is all undefeated teams, if that was the case then sure the 5-10 argument makes more sense. He still doesn't want us in the playoffs.

He didn't really call a good game either, not sure how many times he said we should've been penalized but then had to be told of the rules and how it wasn't a penalty. Give me Anthony Becht.

It certainly has on ESPN:

"The arguments against seriously considering the Knights, who extended their nation's-best win streak to 23 games, aren't holding up as we get deeper into the season."
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-rankings-statement-wins-washington-state-ucf

"While the Knights are unlikely to get into the top four, they should move into the top 10"
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...sh-cement-college-football-playoff-contenders

"While the other top teams were sleepwalking, UCF completely frustrated No. 24 Cincinnati, winning its 23rd straight game and forcing the question to be asked yet again. Why not UCF?"
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...half-anything-ucf-losing-was-possible-week-12

"UCF's defense, which has taken its share of criticism for giving up large chunks of yards throughout the season, played its most complete game"
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...l-says-ucf-showed-big-football-win-cincinnati

That's still a slap in the face. He's saying your good just not that good. It's not like the top 4 is all undefeated teams, if that was the case then sure the 5-10 argument makes more sense. He still doesn't want us in the playoffs.

He didn't really call a good game either, not sure how many times he said we should've been penalized but then had to be told of the rules and how it wasn't a penalty. Give me Anthony Becht.

He really wanted to give us the "what for" for the non-penalties, and then had to correct himself and say they were legal plays. I found that funny, but alos he didn't have to offer the correction, but I'm glad he did. By the end of the game his tone was changing. He definitely started the game "salty" towards UCF and did not want to make strong statement in favor of UCF, but he did offer some strong compliments as we slowly pulled away from Cincy.

Yes, but you barely got by Temple. TEMPLE.

I didn't listen to much of the morons, but did happen to catch that comment by him, which means he has no idea what he's talking about with the "Athletic" conference (at least he finally got the conference name right this week). I'm betting he has no idea what Temple is really like, or could name 1 player on it.

After spending hours on campus, he just got worn down, today, Sun., he'll be back to dumping on/ignoring us.

I didn't listen to much of the morons, but did happen to catch that comment by him, which means he has no idea what he's talking about with the "Athletic" conference (at least he finally got the conference name right this week). I'm betting he has no idea what Temple is really like, or could name 1 player on it.

After spending hours on campus, he just got worn down, today, Sun., he'll be back to dumping on/ignoring us.
Temple whos only loss in the American is to UCF. Temple who slaughtered Maryland. The terrapins are still scoring on Ohio State.

"The arguments against seriously considering the Knights, who extended their nation's-best win streak to 23 games, aren't holding up as we get deeper into the season."
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-rankings-statement-wins-washington-state-ucf

"While the Knights are unlikely to get into the top four, they should move into the top 10"
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...sh-cement-college-football-playoff-contenders

"While the other top teams were sleepwalking, UCF completely frustrated No. 24 Cincinnati, winning its 23rd straight game and forcing the question to be asked yet again. Why not UCF?"
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...half-anything-ucf-losing-was-possible-week-12

"UCF's defense, which has taken its share of criticism for giving up large chunks of yards throughout the season, played its most complete game"
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...l-says-ucf-showed-big-football-win-cincinnati
Strong post. Thank you.

Reactions: Raynman and MisterJ

It's definitely possible. It's also possible that the ESPN people came expecting a G5 program and saw a P5 one.

Coverage might be shifting as they see that we're not some overachieving upstart, but a school that was built to make rapid large steps forward.

You would think there was no way they would be surprised by the turnout, but when your head is that far up your ass, you really can’t see anything.
In their defense, we don't really look that different to casual observers than schools like USF. And when they see USF as a commuter school with no tradition that will predictably flame out after dominating a lame schedule, they think we're the same or a slightly better version.

Part of the problem is that you have to see us to believe us. When you step on campus and you see the passion of the students, the vicious twitter army, the traveling fans, the dominant football wins all start to look like symptoms of winning culture, instead of a series of coincidences.

Well, ESPN has us ranked #5 in their power rankings....

Tuesday just might be interesting. They’ve been hoping for some drama in an otherwise drama-less CFP ranking season.

What are their excuses going to be now about UCF. Thanks for posting that was a great read...

And then, of course, there's the schedule. No, UCF hasn't played a brutal schedule, but the Knights now have wins over Pitt (7-4), Memphis (7-4), Temple (7-4) and Cincinnati (9-2). If they beat USF next week, that will be five wins over teams that finish 7-5 or better. That's as many as Notre Dame has and better than that of Michigan (3), Oklahoma (1) or Ohio State (1).

What are their excuses going to be now about UCF. Thanks for posting that was a great read...

And then, of course, there's the schedule. No, UCF hasn't played a brutal schedule, but the Knights now have wins over Pitt (7-4), Memphis (7-4), Temple (7-4) and Cincinnati (9-2). If they beat USF next week, that will be five wins over teams that finish 7-5 or better. That's as many as Notre Dame has and better than that of Michigan (3), Oklahoma (1) or Ohio State (1).
UCF should be 5th, IMO. I had them in the 5-12 group up until a couple of weeks ago but as the season has evolved its obvious that what this team has accomplished is the most impressive out of that group. If any of the top 4 lose in the next 2 weeks and UCF doesn't there is no possible way I could keep them out of the playoff, and that includes Georgia beating Alabama. Clemson, Notre Dame, and Michigan at this point are all just a notch ahead of UCF but there's still football to be played.

First link...FAIL. Caption under the Milton clip says "golden knights". I couldn't even read it after that. It would be like calling Stanford "the crimson". How can thesee "experts" keep their jobs writing about something they say they love, then make basic mistakes. I don't think it is too much to ask for these cats to know the actual name of the school they are writing about.

I love how they marginalize Temple. Sure they have horrible support, but doesnt take away the fact they are 7-4, likely to be 8-4 and one of the better teams in college football right now. They have a win over P5 Maryland who lost to Ohio State in OT by a failed two point conversation.
Yet they'll swoon all over Pittsburgh's streak right now and nothing wrong with that. I love what Marc Daniels said last night about Pitt "Theyve become the best running team in college football after leaving Spectrum Stadium".
Ironically some of their fans think 'the you played us at a bad time' exception only affects them and not Temple.
Temple can beat Pittsburgh right now on the field right now although they cant beat them in the stands.

Last edited:
I agree that the conversation has become one that is giving a lot more consideration of our accomplishments. We still have the same detractors, but they are toning down their comments.

I don't think the change is because the detractors are any more G5 friendly. They still have the same biases. The difference seems to be what Heup and the team have continued to accomplish. They have done an awesome job of not focusing on the noise and adopting the "1-0" mantra, and taking care of weekly assignments and challenges without fail. Many times, there is a powerful persuasiveness that comes with quietly and consistently doing your job.

Right now provided we win the next two games and if none of the upper 4 (CFP) loses, they have us projected as in the Peach Bowl against LSU (makes most sense fan base wise).

Personally, I'd love this and would love to meet LSU-dad :)

Next steps to me for this program is ACC or SEC. Forget Big 12, we are the Miami team in the early 90s trying to get respect.

Reactions: Knight Strength
They won’t send us to the Peach 2 years in a row. I think they have actually said things in the past about not having teams play in the same bowl too often. I’d rather the Peach though so I could go.

After doing a great job hosting Gameday and the defense dominating Cincy, I feel like the tone is changing in the write-ups, Twitter, and even Herbie. Our detractors are shrinking and I'm hearing a lot more "UCF just wants respect" than "pretend champions complaining again".

Am I imagining it or are y'all seeing/hearing the same thing?

For many "national" writers and tv hosts, this was the first time this season they've seen UCF play and/or their first ever UCF Home Game they ever attended.

UCF had a 6 1/2 hour long national show on Saturday...from ESPN Game Day to ABC Prime Time...and approx 5 Million viewers tuned in to one or the other...

Right now provided we win the next two games and if none of the upper 4 (CFP) loses, they have us projected as in the Peach Bowl against LSU (makes most sense fan base wise).

Personally, I'd love this and would love to meet LSU-dad :)

Next steps to me for this program is ACC or SEC. Forget Big 12, we are the Miami team in the early 90s trying to get respect.
Exactly, on all points!

And the only reason they’ve changed their tune is they realized it’s good for business
I don't really care why they changed their minds, I just want what's best for the program.

We're a goose that lays golden eggs now and they want pump us up because it's mutually beneficial? Great, hop on the bandwagon.

Better late than not at all.

Reactions: Raynman and ahabmw
SOS 118 nough said sorry.

SOS 118 nough said sorry.
It somehow decreases every week in makebelieve numbers that haters like to spew. Even as teams like Memphis, temple, and Pitt keep rolling and after we play a 9-1 ranked team. Somehow it is lower than last week. In real life it jumped from 93 to 66 after the Cincinnati game and is higher than Ohio State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT