ADVERTISEMENT

Anna Maria Island after Helene

I was told by renowned climatologist @goodknightfl that climate change isn't real. The fact that Helene fed off the record breaking superheated Gulf waters and surged from a cat 1 to a cat 4 in under 24 hours is completely normal.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
After watching 60 Minutes last night, I learned the double-tragedy of this devastation is that these home owners are likely to be screwed over by their insurance companies in their efforts to recover their damages.

The storm surge really caught so many people off guard ..most saw Helene as a fast mover and didn’t think the flooding and surge would get as bad as predicted

• Wow
It’s really sad. I saw a LOT of videos of Clearwater Beach and St. Petersburg. Spent nearly an hour watching them last night

One beachfront condo that I used to own, 3-4 stores, and restaurants that I used to frequent, and 4-5 hotels that I’ve stayed at.

Not sure how high the water got, but some of those places are hosed. It’s like a river flowed through Clearwater Beach. Mandalay Ave. must be 3-4 inches deep in sand and Frenchy’s (both) may NEVER recover. Frenchy’s deck is basically on the beach. Maybe 100 yards max from the ocean.

People can’t go to work as waitresses and bartenders. The marina is wrecked. The marina parking lot is a few inches under sand. My old condo’s first floor parking garage is a mess. Coronado Avenue (behind the Wyndham and Hyatt) probably had a river of at LEAST a few feet (saw the video) and is now all deep sand. The little outdoor bar there is destroyed. I’m sure eveything on that road is. A couple of hotels have a lot on ground level. Some are only one story.

It’s really sad. I go there several times a year, so I was able to pick up on the locations quite easily.

I can’t imagine how long this is going to take to get back to anything near what it was. Cross it off the list right now on places to visit.

This WASN’T EVEN the direct hit that they were dreading. It was 100 miles + offshore. I truly believe that a full on hit with a category-3 to 5 will put nearly the entire island of Clearwater Beach, Tampa and St. Petersburg under water. The insurance rates are going to skyrocket if you can even get insurance.

Do not move there.

The ONLY thing that came out of this that was good is that the water fence invented to go around the ENTIRE Tampa General hospital worked like a charm. Kept out the storm surge. It can handle 15 feet and 130 mph winds.

Do not move there.

The ONLY thing that came out of this that was good is that the water fence invented to go around the ENTIRE Tampa General hospital worked like a charm. Kept out the storm surge. It can handle 15 feet and 130 mph winds.
I saw a video clip of that Tampa General Hospital water fence holding off the surge , it looked like a scene from an apocalypse movie.

I know someone that lives by there on Tampa’s Davis Island. His entire first floor of his apartment got wiped out , girl that lived next door was watching tv when it got out of hand and couldn’t open her door bc the water was so high and crawled out of her room window to get to the second floor. It happened so fast and blindsided people there that didn’t think it would get this bad without a direct hit.

The Gulf Coast of Florida has developed so much the last 10 years from Naples to Tampa Bay. But these run of storms has to have people question long term viability of living or buying there.

• Wow
I saw a video clip of that Tampa General Hospital water fence holding off the surge , it looked like a scene from an apocalypse movie.

I know someone that lives by there on Tampa’s Davis Island. His entire first floor of his apartment got wiped out , girl that lived next door was watching tv when it got out of hand and couldn’t open her door bc the water was so high and crawled out of her room window to get to the second floor. It happened so fast and blindsided people there that didn’t think it would get this bad without a direct hit.

The Gulf Coast of Florida has developed so much the last 10 years from Naples to Tampa Bay. But these run of storms has to have people question long term viability of living or buying there.
Derek Jeter has or had a mansion on Davis island

Punta Gorda was a small community that has grown in the past 20-25 years.

It is definitely a place that keeps getting hammered. Absolutely not a place to live anymore IMO.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
An article probably is going to come out about this pretty soon. Not just about Helene, but the west coast of Florida really has become uninhabitable. It’s Russian Roulette. The odds of getting hammered up to a few miles inland every 5-20 years are really high.

Last edited:
Reactions: NinjaKnight
It’s really sad. I saw a LOT of videos of Clearwater Beach and St. Petersburg. Spent nearly an hour watching them last night

One beachfront condo that I used to own, 3-4 stores, and restaurants that I used to frequent, and 4-5 hotels that I’ve stayed at.

Not sure how high the water got, but some of those places are hosed. It’s like a river flowed through Clearwater Beach. Mandalay Ave. must be 3-4 inches deep in sand and Frenchy’s (both) may NEVER recover. Frenchy’s deck is basically on the beach. Maybe 100 yards max from the ocean.

People can’t go to work as waitresses and bartenders. The marina is wrecked. The marina parking lot is a few inches under sand. My old condo’s first floor parking garage is a mess. Coronado Avenue (behind the Wyndham and Hyatt) probably had a river of at LEAST a few feet (saw the video) and is now all deep sand. The little outdoor bar there is destroyed. I’m sure eveything on that road is. A couple of hotels have a lot on ground level. Some are only one story.

It’s really sad. I go there several times a year, so I was able to pick up on the locations quite easily.

I can’t imagine how long this is going to take to get back to anything near what it was. Cross it off the list right now on places to visit.

This WASN’T EVEN the direct hit that they were dreading. It was 100 miles + offshore. I truly believe that a full on hit with a category-3 to 5 will put nearly the entire island of Clearwater Beach, Tampa and St. Petersburg under water. The insurance rates are going to skyrocket if you can even get insurance.

Do not move there.

I Was going there later this week, but obviously not now. Those pictures and videos were crazy.

• Sad

Yall would know more about this than me, but it seems like the development of that area has been irresponsible. Just throwing up homes and condos without properly addressing the infrastructure is not going to end well for a lot of people.

Yall would know more about this than me, but it seems like the development of that area has been irresponsible. Just throwing up homes and condos without properly addressing the infrastructure is not going to end well for a lot of people.

I'd say that the VAST majority of coastal communities were just thrown up with absolutely no regard for infrastructure. People simply don't care.

I was told by renowned climatologist @goodknightfl that climate change isn't real. The fact that Helene fed off the record breaking superheated Gulf waters and surged from a cat 1 to a cat 4 in under 24 hours is completely normal.
you were also told by a retard that "muh weather change makes hurricane" seeing as there were 30% more hurricanes from 1870-1920 than there were from 1970-2020.

I Was going there later this week, but obviously not now. Those pictures and videos were crazy.
It’s depressing honestly. Some of the hotels are closed and the streets are a few inches deep in sand. One couple’s condo was at least 2-3 feet in sand that was in a video. It’s all wet and packed down. It’s going to take forever to remove all that sand down to bare floors and street. It’s like the beach relocated. It’s just unbelievable.

Hurricanes of Cat 4 have and will hit again. Conditions were perfect for this one to explode, much like Andrew in 1992 on Aug 24 . It went from a tropical storm to a cat 5 in 2 days.

Bad storms hitting the Fl big bend to LA are not new. That said I don't say Global warming isn't happening, only we don't know the effects from it. Cat 5 Micheal,2018, Camille 1969. Cat 4's Irma 2017, Harvy 2017, Laura 2020, Ida 2021, Ian 2022, Katrina, Cat 3 2005.

My main point is we are not going to stop it, (WE CAN"T) We most likely can barely even slow it down. China adds dozens of coal powered electric plants every year, that isn't going to change, and we can't cut fast enough to make up for that. I am all for efficiency but spend the money where it will help most prep to do with the aftereffects which will happen..

The US has done much of what climate people screamed about 25 years ago, Incandescent lights to squiggley to even better LED's, more efficient cars and trucks, to cleaner burning power plants, to better insulated homes and buildings, and yet we have not changed the direction hardly at all, if at all.

Last edited:
Ucfmikes mentioned Derek Jeter’s mansion(he sold it and moved to Miami). He had it built where the first floor of the house is actually the 2nd floor, the ground level first floor is an open air garage. I believe Tiger Woods house in Jupiter was built the same way. obviously 99% of everyone else’s houses or condos aren’t built that way but that is the model to be mostly storm surge proof in those areas. But how that is realistically achieved in already developed areas…

This storm was unfortunately unique, with the strength upon landfall, the path that it took, and the combination with a cold front to the north. This resulted in catastrophic flooding all the way up to the mountains of North Carolina. Amazing places and mountain towns such as Asheville, Boone, and Blowing Rock have been put underwater and cut off from the rest of the area.

This storm was unfortunately unique, with the strength upon landfall, the path that it took, and the combination with a cold front to the north. This resulted in catastrophic flooding all the way up to the mountains of North Carolina. Amazing places and mountain towns such as Asheville, Boone, and Blowing Rock have been put underwater and cut off from the rest of the area.
A powerful and large hurricane that took an inland path at an amazing forward speed to get to an area that gets devastated with that amount of rain all at once.

Mountainous areas get runoff that overflows lakes, rivers and overwhelms dams. Not sure if they had a wet summer prior to this

Western NC roughly 500 miles inland from where Helene made landfall, got a lot of people that moved to that area to escape Florida Hurricanes(and heat) and this happens

Western NC roughly 500 miles inland from where Helene made landfall, got a lot of people that moved to that area to escape Florida Hurricanes(and heat) and this happens
Very few states are free of natural disasters and most aren’t states that anyone wants to live in.

Seems like Delaware is always near the top. I guess that’s OK.

I considered recently moving to almost all the places that got hit in Florida and Asheville and lived in a few of them in Florida years ago.

Things that you have to consider.
I think that the worst is fires.

A rapid climate analysis published Tuesday by scientists from Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory found fossil fuel pollution caused over 50% more rainfall in parts of Georgia and the Carolinas. It also estimated global warming made the rain in these regions 20 times more likely.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
3 more named hurricanes in Atlantic and we will have a normal year. That said the flood damage from this one is horrid.

interesting by decade chart on hurricanes
mostly shows the more you look the more you see the same ol same ol.
1931-1950 seem to be the worse 20 years.
Why are you so dumb?

number-of-named-storms-and-hurricanes-1.png

From the article below:
Project 2025 suggests eliminating the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the National Weather Service ... The blueprint appears to leave the National Hurricane Center intact, saying the data it collects should be “presented neutrally, without adjustments intended to support any one side in the climate debate.”

“It’s preposterous,” said Rob Moore, a policy analyst for the Natural Resources Defense Council’s Action Fund. “There’s no problem that’s getting addressed with this solution, this is a solution in search of some problem.”

Why are you so dumb?

number-of-named-storms-and-hurricanes-1.png
The 2 charts together are kind of interesting. Land falling hurricanes don't seem to follow quantity very closely. There are 2 really big spike years for named storms one storm in each of those years was subtropical storm which was not added to the records until 1968. There seems to have been somewhere between 25 and 45 during that period. there were 10 from 2003 to 2018. That will skew the $s down a bit over those years to make an apples to apples comparison. That said there still would be more storms.

I took 2 semesters of meteorology at BCC in the late 1970's the difference in the info available and ability to predict a few days ahead is really amazing. We would be given maps of US and given temps and pressure readings from around the US. then you had to put them on the maps by hand draw in isobars by hand to see the pressure ridges, then looking at temps' figure where to put in Fronts, and then you had to go back and look at past maps to see how things changed trying to figure out what were cold or warm fronts. Then with that limited info without satellite pics try and make predictions on next few days. Most forecast were for 2 to 4 days, and were wrong almost as much as right. 7 or 10 day forecast simply didn't exist.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT