ADVERTISEMENT

Apple Event - New iPad Pro, New iPhones, New Apple TV(?)

That's interesting. So the one I bought in Nov 2013 would hang up at least once on every movie played in Plex - which was such a shame because it is such a beautiful platform - now I rely solely on iTunes for movies streaming (and old games) - I basically have to convert them all. Major Pita.

Netflix was just super slow as was Prime for me on the old one, the new one is a year newer and it started crashing almost every time I played something back in Netflix and Amazon. I just gave up.

I wanted some feature where I could go back and shut down processes - it just seemed like it was overwhelmed.

Fwiw, it sounds like very similar usage - for me the speed is definitely noticeable on both the xbox and apple tv compared to the others, even baring the crashes that was enough for me. The bad thing is, I don't have access to plex (hopefully the new Apple TV gets an App) outside of the Samsung, and I'm just not willing to try at this point because itunes is serving the need.

I have a 2013 LG Smart TV, and Plex runs better on there than any other devices (I have Roku 3, Apple TV, and Chromecast). However, it might just be the location to the router (right next to it).

That being said, Plex is amazing, and if you use it, can eliminate almost about any need for cable. No conversion, metadata is automatically imported, can download captions automatically, and awesome interface. I setup utorrent to manage via mobile, so I download what I want away from home and its on Plex when I get back. Through devices and password sharing, I have been able to get any programming without dreaded comcast, save for CBS Sports.

Reactions: brahmanknight
It's easier for Apple's ODMs (FIC, FoxConn, etc...) to change a modular PC board, even those in Mini-ITX or Nano-ITX size, late in design than on a very tightly integrated, embedded device that incurs major impacts from just the slightest of changes (especially anything power or communication-related).
Why would they have had to change late in the process? USB-C isn't new. It's just only recently being integrated into devices. They have been shipping the new MacBook for 5 months. That's PLENTY of time to integrate something like USB-C. It's not like this is some insane technology -- it's been in the works for quite a while. If anything the problem is with Apple's chip designers. I think power/USB is integrated into the SoC? The new AppleTV has USB-C (for service only?) and the remote for the AppleTV has a lightning port for charging. They aren't even on the same page within a single product.

Regardless of the excuses, it's just bizarre that Apple would do this. If OnePlus can ship phones with USB-C, Apple can too.

Why would they have had to change late in the process? USB-C isn't new. It's just only recently being integrated into devices. They have been shipping the new MacBook for 5 months. That's PLENTY of time to integrate something like USB-C. It's not like this is some insane technology -- it's been in the works for quite a while. If anything the problem is with Apple's chip designers. I think power/USB is integrated into the SoC?

Regardless of the excuses, it's just bizarre that Apple would do this. If OnePlus can ship phones with USB-C, Apple can too.

Also, since you are here - I wanted to give a shout out to w00t for the awesome youtube feed of the horrid game last week. Thanks for keeping us out-of-town cordcutters in mind, you have frequently come through in a pinch.

Also, since you are here - I wanted to give a shout out to w00t for the awesome youtube feed of the horrid game last week. Thanks for keeping us out-of-town cordcutters in mind, you have frequently come through in a pinch.
No prob! My intent is to try to keep doing the rest of the games. I've got a setup that makes it pretty easy for me to do now. As long as YouTube stays off my back. Might have to switch to Twitch.TV if they do since apparently they aren't as good at content filtering.

Reactions: KnightedIbis
metadata is automatically imported

You have no idea how big of a deal this is/was for me coming from the Apple Walled garden. Conversion and metadata - I have to attach meta to every file I download that I want stored correctly.

I really do love Plex, just wish it was available (for no extra charge) on all of my devices - e.g. having to have the pro/premium membership to use it on XBOne.

Woot, we have people that are largely in the "field" an iPad Air/Pro would be perfect (in fact 100x better than our current setup) for most of those positions if our internal databases could make use of them, which is why we are heading overall to sharepoint.

When I go out in the field, I have my Dell laptop and I have to take my hotspot, its far from ideal.

Reactions: USFSucks
Watching Tim Cook's interview with Colbert and I think it highlights the reason behind not changing the connector...

Colbert: There's no new charger, right?
Cook: Same charger
Colbert: Ok good because I will stab you in the neck with a fondue fork... right now
Cook: We've only changed it once in 10 years. We only did it because we really needed to

I'm guessing next year they will really need to change to USB-C and they'll be able to pitch that the cable will work with all your other devices.

People who do predominantly creative services work i believe will want the iPad Pro.

Apple TV streaming quality is top notch. Great, smooth quality when watching NHL games - which says a lot given the fast movement of the puck.

I did however decide recently my next tablet will be windows based, not another iPad. For most apps, my iphone is perfectly fine. Whenever i want to reach for something bigger - i get my work laptop out a lot to handle the heavier need. BUT i still love the easy tablet form factor. And since the Surface Pro 3 is by all accounts great, I am likely heading that way. I would just need to know if the Surface Pro supports game streaming like Sunday Ticket, NHL Gamecenter, etc. Granted I can always keep my old iPad for this.

Reactions: brahmanknight
People who do predominantly creative services work i believe will want the iPad Pro.
Apple wants designers to use iPads but I don't think they really will/do. The Pencil doesn't appear to have nearly the precision/sensitivity that WACOM or the Surface Pro stylus has.
http://www.wired.com/2015/09/sorry-apple-turns-designers-dont-use-ipads/

I did however decide recently my next tablet will be windows based, not another iPad. For most apps, my iphone is perfectly fine. Whenever i want to reach for something bigger - i get my work laptop out a lot to handle the heavier need. BUT i still love the easy tablet form factor. And since the Surface Pro 3 is by all accounts great, I am likely heading that way. I would just need to know if the Surface Pro supports game streaming like Sunday Ticket, NHL Gamecenter, etc. Granted I can always keep my old iPad for this.
Definitely wait a month. Surface Pro 4 and some other devices will be announced on October 6th. I'm not familiar with all of the specific services but anything that supports streaming from a PC/browser will obviously work. There is a WatchESPN app in the store.

Reactions: UCF-icenhl-06
Apple wants designers to use iPads but I don't think they really will/do. The Pencil doesn't appear to have nearly the precision/sensitivity that WACOM or the Surface Pro stylus has.
http://www.wired.com/2015/09/sorry-apple-turns-designers-dont-use-ipads/

Definitely wait a month. Surface Pro 4 and some other devices will be announced on October 6th. I'm not familiar with all of the specific services but anything that supports streaming from a PC/browser will obviously work. There is a WatchESPN app in the store.
I actually heard after the event the apple pencil was surprisingly excellent. Maybe not $99 worth but really good. And designers all mostly use iMacs so I don't know why they wouldn't use the Pro. They'll line up for it.

And yea I'm more than a month away on the tablet. Maybe holiday or post holiday.

I actually heard after the event the apple pencil was surprisingly excellent. Maybe not $99 worth but really good. And designers all mostly use iMacs so I don't know why they wouldn't use the Pro. They'll line up for it.

And yea I'm more than a month away on the tablet. Maybe holiday or post holiday.
The marketing/artistic people I talked with were extremely excited for the Pro and the Pencil. I personally don't get it, I don't get why you would want a screen that large that's not a straight laptop, but they were very excited about the possibilities

If the iPad Pro ran OSX, sure. But it doesn't. I get being an Apple fan but for nearly every use case, a Surface Pro is going to be objectively better than an iPad Pro.
The marketing/artistic people I talked with were extremely excited for the Pro and the Pencil. I personally don't get it, I don't get why you would want a screen that large that's not a straight laptop, but they were very excited about the possibilities
I'm assuming these people refuse to look at a Surface Pro because it's made by Microsoft? Especially with the forthcoming updates to the Surface Pro (thinner & fanless), there's very little reason to ever choose an iPad Pro over a Surface Pro. I really don't understand it. I'm probably going to be wrong but I really don't see this thing selling in significant numbers. Apple is trying to desperately get iPhone-like sales out of the iPad and it's just not going to happen.

If the iPad Pro ran OSX, sure.

There are reasons they are not going that route. The fact that you can edit 3 4k video streams at the same time on the iPad Pro - shows how efficient that system is. I understand people's hang up on this one fact, and I can agree for enterprise reasons, but the reality is this is where we are heading - app development on an efficient/light OS.

Reactions: USFSucks
There are reasons they are not going that route. The fact that you can edit 3 4k video streams at the same time on the iPad Pro - shows how efficient that system is. I understand people's hang up on this one fact, and I can agree for enterprise reasons, but the reality is this is where we are heading - app development on an efficient/light OS.
This idea that the two are inherently mutually exclusive is wrong. Windows works just fine on a phone and a PC. There's no reason the OS can't be full featured and efficient/light. Apple is just adding more and more features to iOS and it eventually supplant OSX on the laptop/desktop. It just shows you how far behind Apple is when it comes to convergence as opposed to Microsoft. Just because you can edit 3 4k video streams doesn't mean shit. The software is nowhere near as powerful as it is on a real PC. Also, good luck doing fine grained manipulation without a mouse.

Just because you can edit 3 4k video streams doesn't mean shit.

Totally disagree. That is something you can't do on a range of Macbooks, and I doubt you could on the Surface Pro.

FWIW, if I were tech head of a major company, Surface would be my next move - enterprise systems really heavily on Windows, but to say the OSX not being on it is a failure, is not something I agree with.

I don't fully know that Apple will follow suit with convergence, look at what they did with tvOS - they are keeping these things distributed and probably for strategic reasons.

I wouldn't go to anything that ran Windows, period. It's clunky and slow (I have to run Windows 10 for work and hate it). Sorry, call me a fan boy all you want, but I'll take the limitations within OS X and iOS9 over having to deal with Windows.

I wouldn't go to anything that ran Windows, period. It's clunky and slow (I have to run Windows 10 for work and hate it). Sorry, call me a fan boy all you want, but I'll take the limitations within OS X and iOS9 over having to deal with Windows.
Very surprised that you're running Win10 for work. Going to be a while before we are. Are you using clean windows or something laden with crapware? Also, did they actually get you a good computer or some POS? The amount of shit my company installs on our Windows machines is insane. The Macs only get a fraction of it. And we buy MacBook Pros for people yet they buy shitty $700 HPs for normal people. No shit, the Mac is faster! I made up reasons to get Windows 8.1 instead of Windows 7 and it's amazing because they don't put as much bullshit on our 8.1 installs as they do Windows 7.

Not going to bother arguing the points because an argument between two opposing fanboys is pointless. Just curious what your company is giving you and why.

I just got a new Latitude E7250 from work. Smallest laptop i have "owned"...super light, i5. Windows 7 and runs great. Just a small hard drive but i have an external drive to archive old shit i dont need regularly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT