ADVERTISEMENT

Are reusable shopping bags better or worse

cnsaguy

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Sep 18, 2002
than the thin plastic ones? This article says worse.

Over the past few years, reusable plastic shopping bags began showing up in grocery stores in many parts of the world. They are sturdier than the flimsy plastic bags that have become a symbol of the global movement against disposable plastics, and so can be used many times, lending to their marketing as the ethical choice for the environmentally conscious shopper.

But of course, these thicker bags require more plastic to make. That means they could only improve the overall situation if they led to stores handing out overall less plastic, by volume, than they would without them—by, say, replacing thousands of single-use plastic bags a shopper might otherwise use over the years. Because no matter the style of plastic bag, it will still contribute to the global problem of forever-trash entering the environment, and the greenhouse gases associated with manufacturing the bag from fossil fuels in the first place.

i have heard that many recycling plants are starting to refusing the standard grocery shopping bag. they cause too many problems and are hard to recycle.

Sure, if your making them from new fresh plastic, but my thought was they were made from recycled plastic.

Ive used the same reusable bags for a few years now, theres no way the plastic that would have been used is less than what was used to make the reusables.

Simple solution for us: We've actually made the conscious decision to try to consume less plastic. We only ask for/use paper bags when possible. We buy milk that comes in paper containers. I will only buy eggs that are in paper/cardboard containers. While not a perfect solution that allows us to avoid 100% of plastics, it's at least a very, very small step in the right direction.

Reactions: UCFBS
Simple solution for us: We've actually made the conscious decision to try to consume less plastic. We only ask for/use paper bags when possible. We buy milk that comes in paper containers. I will only buy eggs that are in paper/cardboard containers. While not a perfect solution that allows us to avoid 100% of plastics, it's at least a very, very small step in the right direction.
Indeed. Unfortunately too many people not only don't care, but 'follow the popular [no-so-much-]science herd.'

But that's where the wife and I are at too. We like paper and aluminum, if possible. I've also done some disposable paper (all sorts of things -- from bowls to bags) v. washing plastic/metal investigations, and it's not always 'clear cut.'

Again, I do tire of the commoner/US Media BS of 'this is better' based on 100% assumption, 0% investigation. Reminds me of the 'veggie burger' crazy where the food is full of crap, processing and still all of the same issues.

I.e., I don't eat processed meats as it is, so no way am I going to eat processed veggies. I like a 'raw' vegan diet as a base, and then I mix in fresh, uncut meats -- e.g., entire pork or beef loin, usually lean choice or select -- as I'm not a pure 'raw' vegan.

But the 'raw' vegan 'base' is ideal in my view.

Non-recyclable type 7 plant-based plastic is a perfect example of causing more issues, and it doesn't biodegrade unless in a landfill for hundreds of years. I've made a stink of the type 7 here at work, trying to get people to understand it's not a solution, and possibly just more of a problem.

No one cares. I'm also on them about the massive amounts of sodium they use. But I'm biased, having Conn's Syndrome.

I never toss a plastic bottle in the garbage. If I'm out, I'll bring the empty plastic bottle all the way home just to be recycled. I would like to see a deposit cost for plastic bottles that you get back when recycled. It might be a hassle but we need to get better about recycling. The deposit needs to be high enough that people actually want the deposit money back.

I never toss a plastic bottle in the garbage. If I'm out, I'll bring the empty plastic bottle all the way home just to be recycled. I would like to see a deposit cost for plastic bottles that you get back when recycled. It might be a hassle but we need to get better about recycling. The deposit needs to be high enough that people actually want the deposit money back.
I agree, deposits work well.

Although I like bottles more, I prefer aluminum because it recycles better. And the new type 7 plant is making things frustrating for recycling plants. We favor paper, and recycle aluminum, as we have unsubsidized garbage service -- i.e., 100% private -- in Chilton County, AL. I'm lucky the city in the nearby county ran a small pipe (although not even 20% of what would be required for a fire hydrant) so we have city water (and it's pretty good quality).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT