ADVERTISEMENT

Austion has 3 bombs in 11 days

One of these days we'll stop sensationalizing death so criminals won't have their audience.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
One of these days we'll stop sensationalizing death so criminals won't have their audience.

Agreed. What baffles me is the motive of the criminals that commit these heinous crimes. One hears quite often the argument that many of these murderers are driven by potential future infamy / notoriety even if it's post death, whether by suicide or cop. I just don't get the mentality of a criminal that thinks that way. If the infamy and notoriety occurs post death and the criminal isn't there to experience it, what does it matter? Are all these murderers just existentialists?

Agreed. What baffles me is the motive of the criminals that commit these heinous crimes. One hears quite often the argument that many of these murderers are driven by potential future infamy / notoriety even if it's post death, whether by suicide or cop. I just don't get the mentality of a criminal that thinks that way. If the infamy and notoriety occurs post death and the criminal isn't there to experience it, what does it matter? Are all these murderers just existentialists?
Vanity is a powerful drug, even if completely negative, especially in the age of reality TV combined with 24x7 news.

I remember when reality TV started in the early '90s, and it was looked down upon. Now it's how the mainstream news conducts itself.

This is bizarre. These bombs have all been low scale, targeting mostly residential areas, and the one was apparently on the side of a road with a tripwire.

No real intent for mass casualties. Almost seems like someone trying to screw with the minds of people more than anything.

I would probably forgo any Amazon orders for a while if I lived there

The "shipping" threat (first 3 packages were supposedly just dropped off manually by the bomber) could become an economic threat (especially from the likes of Amazon, Walmart, eBay, etc...).

Americans purchase approx $440 Billion of products online (growing at around 8-10% per yr) and anything that targets that segment could possibly impact part of the economy (at least regionally, i.e. Austin and now San Antonio).

Hope this sick scumbag(s) is caught soon.

NOTE: PGA Tour event is in the Austin area this week and the PGA said they brought in extra security for this tournament.

The "shipping" threat (first 3 packages were supposedly just dropped off manually by the bomber) could become an economic threat (especially from the likes of Amazon, Walmart, eBay, etc...).

Americans purchase approx $440 Billion of products online (growing at around 8-10% per yr) and anything that targets that segment could possibly impact part of the economy (at least regionally, i.e. Austin and now San Antonio).

Hope this sick scumbag(s) is caught soon.

NOTE: PGA Tour event is in the Austin area this week and the PGA said they brought in extra security for this tournament.

UPS and FedEx deliver 25 million packages every day, you'd have to be a hell of a special snowflake to think you have any chance of being targeted. If you actually adjust your online purchasing because of this POS, you are:

A) Terrible at math
B) Letting the terrorists win

UPS and FedEx deliver 25 million packages every day, you'd have to be a hell of a special snowflake to think you have any chance of being targeted. If you actually adjust your online purchasing because of this POS, you are:

A) Terrible at math
B) Letting the terrorists win
I utterly agree.

But given the nation's current view of gun violence and mass shootings -- damn the statistics -- it's time to run in fear. Hence the US media's obsession with the bombings ... although not quite as much as guns.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's a warped, pro-2nd Amendment nut trying to raise awareness of bombs in his own, sick way. And I saw that as a pro-2nd (and 1st) Amendment American who believes we don't need any new gun laws.

In fact, one could make the strong argument we need better mail scanning. Of course, there's a tradeoff with that. A lot of things ship that could be flagged ... like low-concentrations fertilizer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT