ADVERTISEMENT

B1G TV rights and B12 impact

I don't think they pulled out, I think they lost the bidding war. They will still have SEC and ACC content to air. I'm sure they will be bidding for B12 though. I think we'll be just fine. We're still gonna make a hell of a lot more than we ever did in the AAC.
Oh, 100%. We will make 4x more in one year. That is amazing.

I liked the idea of adding the four corners.

From what I’m hearing, the other conference winner in this announcement is the Big XII.

But the B1G news is HUGE. If the numbers we’re hearing from NBC and CBS are real, we’re taking 21 million per school from their SECONDARY TV deal. God only knows what they’ll get from Fox. If NBC is a player, you’ve got to believe the handwriting is on the wall as far as the Irish are concerned.

Marc Daniels interviewed the former President of FOX Sports (who know runs his own sports media consulting firm and works with various conferences/colleges) yesterday on his show. Here is that interview.

I believe it helps, because ESPN likes being the big dog and can't be happy getting beat by FOX. They will not want to lose more media content. So if FOX is still bidding on the BIG 12 along with CBS and NBC it may be a bidding war on the content that is left. That should equate to more money. Just my take your mileage may vary.

Reactions: Knight Strength
This will totally benefit the ACC Conference.

Of the 5 P5 Conferences only the SEC and ACC and ACCN are 100% tied to ESPN/ABC broadcast network.

With the elimination of the B1G, the ACC became an even more valuable commodity for ESPN/ABC.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Marc Daniels interviewed the former President of FOX Sports (who know runs his own sports media consulting firm and works with various conferences/colleges) yesterday on his show. Here is that interview.

I like the point that Big12 can sell the 10:30pm spot with BYU and the networks will be interested in that.

Expect UCF to play a lot of noon kickoffs at home in the Big12?

I like the point that Big12 can sell the 10:30pm spot with BYU and the networks will be interested in that.

Expect UCF to play a lot of noon kickoffs at home in the Big12?
A few but hopefully in Nov.

WVU use to be the only Big 12 Team in the Eastern Time Zone but will.now include UCF and Cincinnati.

Other Big 12 teams HATE 11 am kickoff times in the Central Time Zone and I wonder if UCF and UC had to agree to one or two Noon kickoffs to help out the conf.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Im hoping 3:30 and 7:30.
The noon kickoffs is exactly what GOL was hoping for back in the day to have an advantage
over other teams because of the Florida heat. If this kickoff time happens in Big12 it should
be a nice little edge for us as we start in Big 12 competition in 2023 (?).

The noon kickoffs is exactly what GOL was hoping for back in the day to have an advantage
over other teams because of the Florida heat. If this kickoff time happens in Big12 it should
be a nice little edge for us as we start in Big 12 competition in 2023 (?).
I think that’s less of an advantage in the B12 - I feel like most of the schools are located in areas that are no strangers to heat.

As a fan, however, hot games are brutal!

I believe it helps, because ESPN likes being the big dog and can't be happy getting beat by FOX. They will not want to lose more media content. So if FOX is still bidding on the BIG 12 along with CBS and NBC it may be a bidding war on the content that is left. That should equate to more money. Just my take your mileage may vary.
I'm not so sure NBC will be bidding on the B12. They will have the weekly B1G game in prime time, and Notre Dame games in the 3:30 slot seven weeks of the season. If they have any interest in the B12 it would probably be just for 2nd tier games on weeks when Notre Dame is playing road games.

CBS was happy with one SEC game per week and now they have one B1G game per week. Who knows if they have any interest in an additional game each week.

ABC and ESPN are pretty full now that ESPN has the entire SEC and ACC contracts. And that's before adding in PAC content if ESPN gets all or part of that conference.

Fox supposedly has no interest in renewing with the PAC. Fox's agreement with the B1G is that Fox will not air other B1G games during the CBS and NBC B1G games. Fox has nowhere else to get content if they want P5 games in the 3:30 PM and 7:30 PM slots on Fox. So, I don't think they can lowball us. But we won't be the beneficiary of a bidding war either.

Then we have to hope that ESPN gives us a reasonable amount for one or two additional games (the 4th and 5th choice each week) to put on ESPN2, and see if we can get another streaming network to bid against ESPN (ESPN+) for our 3rd tier content.

I'm not so sure NBC will be bidding on the B12. They will have the weekly B1G game in prime time, and Notre Dame games in the 3:30 slot seven weeks of the season. If they have any interest in the B12 it would probably be just for 2nd tier games on weeks when Notre Dame is playing road games.

CBS was happy with one SEC game per week and now they have one B1G game per week. Who knows if they have any interest in an additional game each week.

ABC and ESPN are pretty full now that ESPN has the entire SEC and ACC contracts. And that's before adding in PAC content if ESPN gets all or part of that conference.

Fox supposedly has no interest in renewing with the PAC. Fox's agreement with the B1G is that Fox will not air other B1G games during the CBS and NBC B1G games. Fox has nowhere else to get content if they want P5 games in the 3:30 PM and 7:30 PM slots on Fox. So, I don't think they can lowball us. But we won't be the beneficiary of a bidding war either.

Then we have to hope that ESPN gives us a reasonable amount for one or two additional games (the 4th and 5th choice each week) to put on ESPN2, and see if we can get another streaming network to bid against ESPN (ESPN+) for our 3rd tier content.
When they say NBC, its not just the local channel. Peacock, NBC Sports and they own a bunch of cable channels. CBS owns a bunch and have Paramount. Fox has a bunch of channels. Not just the couple big games per week.

So how does this impact the B12? Thoughts?
Has to be good, right? ESPN has slots to fill. So will the other networks.

Only concern would be if the B10 wants any B12 school (not named UCF) for their next round of expansion.
I hope they take the big P12 names left and B12 gets the remaining.

$70 mil per team as a 'starting point.' Could reach as high as $100 mil by the end of the contract.
Lol.

Nebraska, Rutgers, Minnesota, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Northwestern, and Maryland have to literally be pissing all over themselves with happiness right now. Y’all bring nothing to the table but are getting a king’s ransom to be leeches on OSU and USC’s scrotum.

At least Iowa and Mich. State win every once in a while.

I think the B12 would be better off if our talks were scheduled sooner rather than later. As a positive we will get to see where and how things settle out for the PAC.

I think the only verdict of the B10 deal is that ND can stay independent at $70M. They aren’t missing out on that much from what they get

Another BS sports writer trying to get his stick wet.
Another BS sports writer trying to get his stick wet.
Canzano is a relatively well known writer and a huge PAC 12 homer that was laughing off the possibility of the B12 raiding the P12 just a few weeks ago. The fact that he’s sounding the alarm now is a good sign.

When they say NBC, its not just the local channel. Peacock, NBC Sports and they own a bunch of cable channels. CBS owns a bunch and have Paramount. Fox has a bunch of channels. Not just the couple big games per week.
NBC shut down the NBC Sports Network at the end of 2021. NBC's streaming network (Peacock) might be OK for Tier 3 content (Like the AAC has with ESPN+...although the association with ESPN probably makes ESPN+ a better option), but Peacock is essentially useless for exposure or any significant revenue/income for the conference.

We need major network options (multiple bidders) to get maximum value in our next TV contract. Major network games (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox) always draw more viewers, The next tier down in terms of number of viewers is the upper level sports networks (ESPN, Fox Sports 1 & ESPN2).

NBC shut down the NBC Sports Network at the end of 2021. NBC's streaming network (Peacock) might be OK for Tier 3 content (Like the AAC has with ESPN+...although the association with ESPN probably makes ESPN+ a better option), but Peacock is essentially useless for exposure or any significant revenue/income for the conference.

We need major network options (multiple bidders) to get maximum value in our next TV contract. Major network games (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox) always draw more viewers, The next tier down in terms of number of viewers is the upper level sports networks (ESPN, Fox Sports 1 & ESPN2).
Times are changing. The major networks can only show a few games per week. You have to be top 10 to get those a lot per season. TNT, TBS, among others are showing more sports. NBC owns a lot of channels. Peacock has started showing movies right after movie theater is done. Black Phone is one. They are growing. We need a bidding war. If not we will get peanuts.

We need a bidding war.
A bidding war? With all due respect, a bidding war for what? The Big Dawgs of the Big XII, OU and TX, are on their way out the door. At best, the Big XII is vying to be the best conference driving their boat thru the wake created by the SEC and the B1G.

And before you rip into me, note that this is not meant to be a dis. The Big XII seems to me to be in the best position between it, the Pac12, and ACC of finding a decent TV deal and setting themselves up as a viable conference in an effort to have its members included in any kind of new national championship playoff deal with the Big Two.

The next playoff deal won't involve the NCAA and the CFB Elites are going to dramatically cut the number of universities feeding at the trough. The question is: Will the Big XII be able to crash the B1G and SEC's private playoff party? I believe they can.

Reactions: Wings0fred
A bidding war? With all due respect, a bidding war for what? The Big Dawgs of the Big XII, OU and TX, are on their way out the door. At best, the Big XII is vying to be the best conference driving their boat thru the wake created by the SEC and the B1G.

And before you rip into me, note that this is not meant to be a dis. The Big XII seems to me to be in the best position between it, the Pac12, and ACC of finding a decent TV deal and setting themselves up as a viable conference in an effort to have its members included in any kind of new national championship playoff deal with the Big Two.

The next playoff deal won't involve the NCAA and the CFB Elites are going to dramatically cut the number of universities feeding at the trough. The question is: Will the Big XII be able to crash the B1G and SEC's private playoff party? I believe they can.
A bidding war to get a bigger TV deal than the Pac12 and ACC.

Fair points. I agree with the B12 mindset you have.

The "bidding war" I see differently than you, even after OU and TX leave. ESPN/FOX still need content. Maybe NBC and CBS too for smaller tier.

If USA, TNT, or TBS want to show B12 games it forces ESPN to bid more or vice versa.

It is not a "bidding war" to get to $100M like the B10. It is a "bidding war" from smaller players to push the ESPN/FOX price up a little here and there.

The "bidding war" I see differently than you, even after OU and TX leave. ESPN/FOX still need content. Maybe NBC and CBS too for smaller tier.

It is not a "bidding war" to get to $100M like the B10. It is a "bidding war" from smaller players to push the ESPN/FOX price up a little here and there.
I can appreciate that explanation. The key for the Big XII is set themselves apart from their two regionally-challenged competitors and become CFB's 'National Alternative' to the SEC & B1G. If it can accomplish that, they're gonna be squarely in the driver's seat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT