ADVERTISEMENT

Banyard's Block Shot

Central Floridave

Todd's Tiki Bar
Aug 21, 2001
...deserves a thread by itself. How about that? Blocking his past friend/teammates shot at the end to deny the goal. Showed them hugging pregame and such. Any vids online of that? Or backstories???

Reactions: UCFhonors
However, Banyard might have had the play of the game, blocking Deontae Hawkins' dunk attempt late in the second half after UCF grabbed their first lead of the game.

“Huge block. We talked about it after the game in the locker room. What a play by Nick,” said UCF coach Johnny Dawkins. “Nick plays to win and he made a heck of a play. A game winning play. I’m just really proud of him and his ability to come back here and play well.”

...deserves a thread by itself. How about that? Blocking his past friend/teammates shot at the end to deny the goal. Showed them hugging pregame and such. Any vids online of that? Or backstories???
Yeah that was great! But...I am surprised that those horrible refs didn't call that a foul. They were calling everything against UCF. Opposing team was climbing on Tacko like a ladder...no call. Even mark daniels was surprised by the foul calling last night.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;I&#39;m baaaaack&quot; -Nick, probably <a href="https://t.co/JKKAhrgyv1">pic.twitter.com/JKKAhrgyv1</a></p>&mdash; UCF Men&#39;s Basketball (@UCF_MBB) <a href="">March 21, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reactions: UCFhonors
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;I&#39;m baaaaack&quot; -Nick, probably <a href="https://t.co/JKKAhrgyv1">pic.twitter.com/JKKAhrgyv1</a></p>&mdash; UCF Men&#39;s Basketball (@UCF_MBB) <a href=" ">March 21, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Notice how Tacko had already stepped out so the perfect bounce pass was behind him. Also, Banyard was nowhere near the basket, yet he had to take 3 steps to get there. Perfect reaction and timing. Best yet, he blocked the same former teammate he'd greeted prior to the game. Despite continual injuries (he's such a human tape dispenser, his nickname should be "The Mummy"), he's been the jack of all trades who's helped hold the team together.

I know right! When I saw it I was like "please don't tell me that this dude just slipped and fell".
I listened to BJ's interview about how the play was set up and rewatched the replay. BJ said that if the defender gets to the sideline ("gets a foot down" there), the screening UCF player seals him off so BJ can make his cut inside and get a clear 3-pt shot off. His backcourt teammate's screen had freed the streaking BJ. It all depends on Taylor making the right reads. It really caught the ISU defense unprepared!

Full screen that video above. BJ totally runs into the defender and flops. LOL. Glad a flop went our way for once. Then sinking the two free throws. Who was standing on their couch at that moment?

Full screen that video above. BJ totally runs into the defender and flops. LOL. Glad a flop went our way for once. Then sinking the two free throws. Who was standing on their couch at that moment?
Not relevant. Defender hadn't at all set, so BJ had a right to the baseline path. It wasn't that the defender "fouled him" by making contact. It was a simple "blocking" foul like any other, except it took place farther than usual from the basket.

Copy. Didn't know that. Just saw a Facebook Live interview with BJ while at practice. He said they practice that play every day and he was happy he could finally use it.

Reactions: UCFProf
Copy. Didn't know that. Just saw a Facebook Live interview with BJ while at practice. He said they practice that play every day and he was happy he could finally use it.
Yeah, BJ wasn't allowed to create more contact or he'd have been called for the foul. Instead, he needed to make a decent attempt to get by on narrow sideline space he had claim to (and thus his right to initiate contact).

I do remember him saying that last night that if the defender had his foot on the sideline the call would be reversed. Interesting technicality that most people didn't know, including me.

I do remember him saying that last night that if the defender had his foot on the sideline the call would be reversed. Interesting technicality that most people didn't know, including me.
I was attempting to transcribe it as much word for word as I could as BJ described it in his postgame with Marc. I'll find that post and append it to this post real soon.
Here it is:
BJ being interviewed now on 740 the game.
Quotes: "Great atmosphere. We've been in those type of spots before. Second half, we ran them off the line. We were more aggressive. We forced them to go into 'man' (defense). That's what AJ does. He slashes to the hole. We practice that play every day (the 4.3 second left). Once I saw the defender didn't put his foot on the line, I knew I could attack and draw the foul (it's a double screen with BJ reading it perfectly). It was the same dude (ref) who called the previous call. Let's pack the place Wednesday."

Last edited:
Reactions: Central Floridave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT