ADVERTISEMENT

Bernie Sanders coaches America on how to become millionaire

Look at the origination of employer based health insurance. It came about so that employers could pay lower wages under the guise of "benefits".

That does not shock me one bit. I actually left my employer's healthcare plan this year because the cost was outrageous compared to the coverage I was given. I'm on my S/O's plan now for about $10 a month more and WAY better coverage. Somehow, I don't think I'm going to be reimbursed by my company for the ~450/month they're not paying anymore LOL.

Look at the origination of employer based health insurance. It came about so that employers could pay lower wages under the guise of "benefits".
You are missing the most important piece of context. The Stabilization Act of 1942 was enacted by Congress to prevent inflation. This act froze increases in prices, wages, and salaries. It did not, however, put any controls on insurance and pension benefits. So these became the bargaining chip for employers to compete with each other.

The way you wrote it makes you think that employers are evil and came up with this scheme to hold down the working man.

Reactions: Crazyhole
You are missing the most important piece of context. The Stabilization Act of 1942 was enacted by Congress to prevent inflation. This act froze increases in prices, wages, and salaries. It did not, however, put any controls on insurance and pension benefits. So these became the bargaining chip for employers to compete with each other.

The way you wrote it makes you think that employers are evil and came up with this scheme to hold down the working man.
That wasn't my intent, but I can see how it came across that way. The federal government played a part in it. That being said, employer based insurance for a great while WAS something that employers used to their benefit. In the long term all it did was help to destroy health insurance altogether because employees couldn't care less what care costs if it is only fractionally going to affect their premiums. I've long held the stance that if health insurance went back to nothing but individual plans then the total costs of healthcare would drop because people would actually have some skin in the game when it comes to doctor visits.

Do i really need a catscan for a kidney stone? Do I really need an MRI for a broken bone when an exray will tell us all we need to know? Do I really need a 20$ ibuprofen in the ER for minor pain relief? These are the kinds of things that nobody considers because somebody else is going to pay for it and nothing changes for them. I'm not saying that quality of care should be sacrificed, but hospitals are notorious for selling things that a patient doesn't really need and its because of group insurance at its roots.

Voting for Bernie is equal to saying you give up on life. You're going to be a leech and not productive.

That wasn't my intent, but I can see how it came across that way. The federal government played a part in it. That being said, employer based insurance for a great while WAS something that employers used to their benefit. In the long term all it did was help to destroy health insurance altogether because employees couldn't care less what care costs if it is only fractionally going to affect their premiums. I've long held the stance that if health insurance went back to nothing but individual plans then the total costs of healthcare would drop because people would actually have some skin in the game when it comes to doctor visits.

Do i really need a catscan for a kidney stone? Do I really need an MRI for a broken bone when an exray will tell us all we need to know? Do I really need a 20$ ibuprofen in the ER for minor pain relief? These are the kinds of things that nobody considers because somebody else is going to pay for it and nothing changes for them. I'm not saying that quality of care should be sacrificed, but hospitals are notorious for selling things that a patient doesn't really need and its because of group insurance at its roots.
How much of the defensive medicine practices in your second paragraph come from the legal system though? Specifically, law firms like Morgan and Morgan? As a side note, ever wonder what the biggest lobby is?

Reactions: fabknight
How much of the defensive medicine practices in your second paragraph come from the legal system though? Specifically, law firms like Morgan and Morgan? As a side note, ever wonder what the biggest lobby is?
Probably a lot of it, which honestly pisses me off. "You didn't fix the problems caused by my years of bad health choices so I'm going to sue you". ****ing ridiculous and a perfect cross section of the general populace in this country.

Nothing is "free," and it's disingenuous of you to make such a claim. I'm not a "Bernie bro," but 2 seconds of googling (it's literally the first link) shows his plan on how to pay for a single payer system.

https://www.sanders.senate.gov/download/options-to-finance-medicare-for-all?inline=file

Personally, I think it's insane that healthcare is tied to something like employment. I have a good job that pays pretty damn well and my company/I still get absolutely raked over the coals despite being 30 and healthy.

This is not a plan to actually pay for anything. This is a bunch of disconnected very rosy assumptions and taxes being masked as "savings". Sanders, like most people pushing this, falsely assume that we can just do a 1-1 switch from private to public spending which is a lie. It doesn't work like that.

Also I have a job where Obamacare has pushed premiums up massively since I started there, but I still pay nowhere near this $12,600 figure that Sanders is saying everyone pays. Replacing my employer based insurance, with the best doctors I can find, with instant access and top quality care, with some public bullshit option that is funded in part by a 7.5% payroll tax increase 1.) takes more from me every year than current law and 2.) greatly diminishes my access and quality of care that I have today.

I also find it interesting that no one, not even Sanders, dares to answer the question related to the cost and economic impact of converting 1/5 of our economy to state run health care? Imagine the cost of having to convert all of private insurance, health care delivery, secondary care, etc to the government sector? It'd be staggering. Not to mention the economic impact.

If he's willing to get this scored with an ACTUAL bill and let CBO assess the negative impact to GDP then have at it. I'd applaud him for at least being honest and to be willing to campaign with an idea that maybe says that it takes away 1% or more in GDP growth per year.

i think transportation is a human right. after all i need it to get to work, send kids to school, do my grocery shopping.

what is bernies plan on providing me with a nicer newer car?

Reactions: fabknight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT