ADVERTISEMENT

Best/Worst Airports in the in US

Tampa FTW. It’s #1 in my book.

I agree with Atlanta’s ranking only for Terminals A-D. Terminals E and F for international flights are pretty awesome.

Orlando is always going to have problems improving on these rankings bc of the amount of people they deal with bc of the theme park tourists in comparison to Tampa for example. Tampa's airport design is great though and the recent renovation makes it even nicer.

Reactions: Knight_Light
Orlando is always going to have problems improving on these rankings bc of the amount of people they deal with bc of the theme park tourists in comparison to Tampa for example. Tampa's airport design is great though and the recent renovation makes it even nicer.

Orlando’s issue is that everyone goes through TSA in the main terminal. In Tampa you take a tram to your airside and go through security then, and there’s 6 airside. It really thins out the crowds going through at once.

Yep, actually came here to say MCO isn't bad except for the idiot designed TSA area.

And honestly it can't be a top airport without a Platinum lounge. Although I 100% agree with LGA being at the bottom, even with the lounge. MCI should be down there too, such a dumb design to split everything up

I was surprised to see Midway as high as it was but totally agree. But for my money, Houston and Charlotte are the best for traveling international.

I was surprised to see Midway as high as it was but totally agree. But for my money, Houston and Charlotte are the best for traveling international.
Charlotte is stretched out like Atlanta but without a train. I do like the rocking chairs. Lots of college girls in yoga pants walking through that airport.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
These rankings are kind of dumb. First, if you want to fly to Orlando, you use MCO whether it is ranked highly or not(yes Sanford has an airport, but nobody want to use those airlines). Second, it isn't fair to compare New York on time performance to that of Phoenix. The weather is worse and the airspace is way more crowded. Also, ATL can't be fairly compared to Salt Lake City or Tampa. It's the busiest airport in the world. It isn't some white trash people mover like Tampa. Seriously, wear some shoes and quit showing up drunk, Tampa.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
These rankings are kind of dumb. First, if you want to fly to Orlando, you use MCO whether it is ranked highly or not(yes Sanford has an airport, but nobody want to use those airlines). Second, it isn't fair to compare New York on time performance to that of Phoenix. The weather is worse and the airspace is way more crowded. Also, ATL can't be fairly compared to Salt Lake City or Tampa. It's the busiest airport in the world. It isn't some white trash people mover like Tampa. Seriously, wear some shoes and quit showing up drunk, Tampa.

Snotty Tampa comments aside, this is mostly right. When I leave Tampa Airport we pretty much never sit in que behind other planes. When I leave Atlanta you can almost always assume 45 minutes of taxi + waiting just to take off. Or longer. It's much more crowded.

When I travel domestically I'll drive out of my way to leave from a smaller regional airport if I can. I love flying to Manchester NH to drive up to MTL vs. all of the BS connections needed and then dealing with the mess that is Montreal airport.

Snotty Tampa comments aside, this is mostly right. When I leave Tampa Airport we pretty much never sit in que behind other planes. When I leave Atlanta you can almost always assume 45 minutes of taxi + waiting just to take off. Or longer. It's much more crowded.

When I travel domestically I'll drive out of my way to leave from a smaller regional airport if I can. I love flying to Manchester NH to drive up to MTL vs. all of the BS connections needed and then dealing with the mess that is Montreal airport.
the smaller regional airports are always the best

Tampa is a horrible airport because it’s boring AF.

Orlando has gotten worse only because there’s wayyyyy too many people going through it for the size.

Orlando has gotten worse only because there’s wayyyyy too many people going through it for the size.

I have no idea what "boring" means but TPA doesn't need to be "exciting" since you can park, get through TSA, and to your gate in under 20 minutes. No excessive waiting required.

It has amazing restaurants and bars in every part of the airport. What else is needed? (plz don't say shopping)

Reactions: crambone
Bingo. The TSA bottleneck in Orlando is what everyone hates about it.

And most tourist families do not have TSA Pre-check...which adds to the HUGE bottle neck at OIA.

Once the International Terminal opens...that will help some of the congestion at OIA.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
And most tourist families do not have TSA Pre-check...which adds to the HUGE bottle neck at OIA.

Once the International Terminal opens...that will help some of the congestion at OIA.

I don't know why anyone who even suspects they'll fly once a year doesn't sign up for TSA Pre Check. It's $80 and valid for 5 years, and your entire family gets to use TSAPreCheck if traveling under your booking.

I just renewed mine and it took 5 minutes online and 5 minutes at the registration office. It took 3 days for TSA to issue me my known traveler number.

I don't know why anyone who even suspects they'll fly once a year doesn't sign up for TSA Pre Check. It's $80 and valid for 5 years, and your entire family gets to use TSAPreCheck if traveling under your booking.

I just renewed mine and it took 5 minutes online and 5 minutes at the registration office. It took 3 days for TSA to issue me my known traveler number.

Because many of the 60 Million plus visitors to Orlando (many fly in/out obviously) don't?

Since when do most tourist do smart things?

Charlotte is stretched out like Atlanta but without a train. I do like the rocking chairs. Lots of college girls in yoga pants walking through that airport.
noticed the same flying/connecting through there, the terminal is Sorority Row :pimp:

LOL at "boring". I'm not at the airport to socialize. I want to get there and get out as quickly as fvcking possible. Give me a boring airport any day. In fact, my favorite airport is Traverse City airport (TVC) in Michigan. You don't get much more boring than that, but damn is it easy.

LOL at "boring". I'm not at the airport to socialize. I want to get there and get out as quickly as fvcking possible. Give me a boring airport any day. In fact, my favorite airport is Traverse City airport (TVC) in Michigan. You don't get much more boring than that, but damn is it easy.
same. i want it to be easy to get in and out. i want some decent food options. the ability to charge devices easily and good wifi are bonuses.

I don't have an issue with MCO at all compared to some places. I can park my truck in the MCO garage and get to my gate in about 15-20 minutes. Most of that is walking. Yes, I have TSA Precheck. I can see the issue if you don't have TSE Pre... Really, the biggest problem flying MCO most often is that it is always filled with families on vacation that don't travel often. Whether that's flying into or out of, get out of my way!

Lifehacker.com vs USA Today ... guess a majority of the board will be spitting up their Haterade. I for one have never had an issue with MCO ... it's clean, modern, and is a great place to hang your hat while waiting for your flight.

Just flew out of Denver. When I first got to the security lines it looked like over 1.5 hours. But the line moved fast, and I was through in 40 minutes.

It is very efficient airport and always packed.

As a connecting airport, I’ve always thought Denver was terrible.

As a connecting airport, I’ve always thought Denver was terrible.

I’ve been to Denver 3 times and on 2/3 flights, we had people yelling and puking when landing due to the sheer and turbulence coming off the Rocky Mountains

This list must have used a Stairway to Heaven Chilis Metric
LOL at Denver being #1 on that list. That airport fvcking sucks. Even the TSA Pre line is ridiculously long.

We've already discussed MCO.

PHX at 3rd best? Security is usually pretty easy/quick there, but the layout of that airport may be one of the worst. Well, one of the worst without a tram system. I absolutely hate PHX.

ATL is ok.

DFW is one of the reasons I stopped flying American almost exclusively. Again, the layout of that airport is awful. Connecting through there sucks. Food/retail options are pretty good and the AMEX Centurion Lounge is awesome.

Las Vegas and Sea-Tac are ok.

Charlotte has been abysmal since the merger of US Air and American. That airport is not equipped to handle that much increased traffic.

LA sucks and Boston's ok.

Denver is ok unless you have a short layover and have to traverse one of their 1/2 mile long terminals to get to gate #873.

Man oh man you guys fly a lot. No thanks. I have to get tanked just to get on a flight to ATL. I’ve flown 4 times this year for work and that was 4 times too many for me. Flying makes me way too nervous.

Man oh man you guys fly a lot. No thanks. I have to get tanked just to get on a flight to ATL. I’ve flown 4 times this year for work and that was 4 times too many for me. Flying makes me way too nervous.
My travel advice for you: Stop flying through ATL and maybe you won't feel the need to get so tanked.

I think I'm in the minority that actually likes Denver Intl. Taking the train to the airport and not paying for parking is pretty nice and at least when I've been the precheck line takes me 10 minutes top.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT