ADVERTISEMENT

Bianchi Trolls Strickland

What's a fair schedule. With the exception of last year, UF and UCF always play one game at each stadium.

I think this was a strategic risk that White took to put pressure on UF and other P5 programs to schedule with UCF. Stricklin is/was negotiating from a position of power so he can just say no. UF regularly plays one of the toughest schedules in the country so the narrative that was coming from the UCF media as being "afraid" to lose was something easy for the media to latch onto an make fun of.

I think White may have had more success if he went after Miami. Aside from (possibly) Florida, UCF would be the best team on Miami's schedule this year. The media would have taken that and ran with it.

Scheduling has been fair, but UF doesn’t want to play in Orlando according to the below article.

We’ve done home and home with Miami, they’d rather schedule Temple for a home and home. FSU boggles my mind as to why there isn’t more chatter there.

Agreed on the cancellations with you. We’ve been burned by a few programs backing out, and Pen State didn’t back out because we switched to Ireland. I think that’s where the fear comes from.

Edited to include article:

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/article226920199.html

Scheduling has been fair, but UF doesn’t want to play in Orlando according to the below article.

I guess we'll see when they release the 2020 baseball schedule. Aside from what UCF's coach said in that article, I haven't seen anything.

UF had home and home with USF and Jax this past season. It looks like UF has been rotating who they home and home with in-state opponents (outside of FSU and Miami). Some schools get a home and home one season, and then just one or two trips to Gainesville the next year. Probably looking to do something similar for UCF but UCF isn't interested. To be honest, I don't usually pay attention to the mid week schedule much, just with what they are tweaking in preparation for the weekend.

Reactions: ahabmw
I think it really comes down to ticket demand. For Florida vs Colorado, the away team only gets 3,000 tickets which is OK because due to travel distance that's probably a fair amount.
3,000 wouldn't be enough for UF vs UCF because it's a shorter trip and demand would be higher.
As an example, UF/FSU currently allots 6,000 tickets to the visiting team.
It puts both schools at a point where compromise doesn't make sense. UCF doesn't have 6,000 tickets to offer Florida for a game at Spectrum, much less a similar deal to USF with at 12,000 ticket allotment for two 6,000 allotments in Gainesville.
Then why can't Florida accept a neutral site game versus UCF at Jacksonville? Danny White has been offering a season kickoff game at a neutral site since before, and even when, this all started.

BTW, Florida itself only offers 5,000 visitor tickets at the swamp. USF can afford 12,000 because they have half as many season ticket holders as UCF, and ... in reality ... they cannot afford to pay for more (already lose a lot of money at Ray Jay).

We know that the Citrus Bowl is off the table for UCF for a variety of reasons.
It's nice to know at least one (1) Gator understands why. Thanx for caring.

Then why can't Florida accept a neutral site game versus UCF at Jacksonville? Danny White has been offering a season kickoff game at a neutral site since before, and even when, this all started.

We play a neutral site game in Jax every year vs Georgia. I don't think there's much desire to play two there. Perhaps that would change if the UF/UGA game moves to home/home, something that Kirby has been pushing hard for. If it does, I could see UF adding an occasional neutral site game in Jax as a peace offering to the city and to local Gators.

There's been talks about UF playing in Atlanta for a Chick-fil-a kickoff but I haven't heard about any opponent.

BTW, Florida itself only offers 5,000 visitor tickets at the swamp.

It really depends on the opponent and demand and at least for SEC games, fluctuates every year. Some years UT requests 2,500, other years, they bring 6,000. I'm curious to see what allotment Auburn has this season since we haven't played them for several years.

USF can afford 12,000 because they have half as many season ticket holders as UCF, and ... in reality ... they cannot afford to pay for more (already lose a lot of money at Ray Jay).

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that Ray Jay holds 65k and USF isn't filling it.

And the 12k seats are really a guarantee because under current circumstances, Gators aren't going to have trouble buying a ticket to the game.

Example - A while back, when UF had agreed to play a basketball game at USF, the USF AD decided to make that game not available as a single game ticket - only season or package deals.

UF doesn't want to be funding the entire USF athletic department because USF decides they'd rather have empty seats rather than Gator fans.

There's been talks about UF playing in Atlanta for a Chick-fil-a kickoff but I haven't heard about any opponent.
ATL is UCF's second choice after JAX, as I understand it.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that Ray Jay holds 65k and USF isn't filling it.
They don't fill the lower bowl, and their actual attendance has been half of what UCF's has been, even during Top 25 seasons for USF. Even their attendance during the Big East years was heavily dependent on who they played and if they were ranked.

That's why UCF fans best USF fans. Then again UCF outsold Auburn (about 60 to 40%) and LSU (2-to-1).

And the 12k seats are really a guarantee because under current circumstances, Gators aren't going to have trouble buying a ticket to the game.
But the question is ... would Strickland be open to UCF making money based on its actual ticketsales in JAX or ATL?

Or would he just demand Camping World where the Gator alums will feed all the proceeds to their pockets, and Florida's, and leave UCF with a major, fiscal loss?

Example - A while back, when UF had agreed to play a basketball game at USF, the USF AD decided to make that game not available as a single game ticket - only season or package deals.
Ummm ... UCF already did that ... for football, as well as basketball.
But that hasn't been the case the last few years.

There are no single game tickets, only season tickets.
3,000 visitor + 12,000 student + 30,000 season ticket holders

If not all season tickets sell out, then there are some available, but we're talking around 50 left now -- and those left start at $350/ticket I understand.

UF doesn't want to be funding the entire USF athletic department because USF decides they'd rather have empty seats rather than Gator fans.
That's why you're only paying USF $250K/game, just like Miami is paying only $375K/game, and Bama only $500K/game. That's only 20-40% the going rate of a FCS team in away only, or 40-60% of another G5 team in a 2-for-1.

As Bama's AD said ... USF was cheap for even a G5.

Last year during the Bama vs Loserville game at the Citrus bowl a UCF alumni flew a banner over. Is that gonna happen again for gator-canes opening game there? I can see some quote by Danny White or something.

But the question is ... would Strickland be open to UCF making money based on its actual ticketsales in JAX or ATL?

Or would he just demand Camping World where the Gator alums will feed all the proceeds to their pockets, and Florida's, and leave UCF with a major, fiscal loss?

Well, in this scenario we're talking about a neutral site kickoff here aren't we. Both schools are paid to come and get an allotment of tickets to resell to their fanbase.

If it were the 2 for 1 deal that was floating around with the Orlando game being in the Citrus Bowl, that game would probably be a UCF home game.

Well, in this scenario we're talking about a neutral site kickoff here aren't we. Both schools are paid to come and get an allotment of tickets to resell to their fanbase.
Exactly. And no one wants that, given how well UCF travels.

The 2019 Fiesta Bowl was completely telling. The east side was packed with UCF fans, nearly endzone to endzone, all 3 levels. The LSU side was almost half-empty, with pockets of UCF fans. But unlike the ESPN commentators and TV teams at the Peach, who complemented UCF, the ESPN team was told to make it look like only LSU was there, and the commentators never mentioned UCF outnumbered LSU 2-to-1.

Even 5 years earlier at the 2014 Fiesta Bowl, no one talked about how UCF traveled better than the prior 3 Big East times ... combined.

If it were the 2 for 1 deal that was floating around with the Orlando game being in the Citrus Bowl, that game would probably be a UCF home game.
Which is an insult to UCF, as it has to pay to play at the Citrus Bowl, while Florida would get a cut from the bowl.

Seriously. Any UCF fan contemplating a 2-1 with our “home “ game at Camping World (Citrus) is clueless. We do not want a “neutral “ site for our 1 home game. If you don’t understand why, you haven’t been paying attention!!!

Reactions: Finance2000Knight
Seriously. Any UCF fan contemplating a 2-1 with our “home “ game at Camping World (Citrus) is clueless. We do not want a “neutral “ site for our 1 home game. If you don’t understand why, you haven’t been paying attention!!!

I don’t think there is a UCF fan that wants that

Which is an insult to UCF, as it has to pay to play at the Citrus Bowl, while Florida would get a cut from the bowl.

Well, no. If it was a UCF home game at the Citrus Bowl, UF would not get any more of a cut than they would at Spectrum aside from any cut they would get as the conduit for selling the allotment tickets. But yes, CItrus Sports would take their cut.

It's not an insult, it's just that what's best for UCF and what's best for UF do not align. Both ADs have to do the math and determine if what is gained is worth what is lost and that's not just financially.

For UCF the best scenario is a home and home with UF. Worst scenario is 2 for 1 with the one being at Spectrum. Everything else is losing math.

For UF, the best case scenario is UCF coming to Gainesville for 1 game. Worst scenario is 2 for 1 with the one being at a larger stadium like the Citrus Bowl. Everything else is losing math.

Like I said in a previous post, I as a long time Alum have no interest in playing the gators at the Citrus bowl as our home game. I went to enough games there and our current game day atmosphere should never be traded to appease pundits. We can find other home games that will entertain me. Do some of the newer fans not realize what the City and FCS did to us, they were basically kicking us out for several years and we got crap revenue from the games. In the end it was the best thing to happen to us...but what if we couldn’t have built the stadium, do you really think either one would be helping us out.

Last edited:
The debate/trolling continued on Open Mike radio show this morning. 8:30am'ish. Dooley, the journalist at Gainesville sun was on and had a theory that Danny White really doesn't want to book a power team from the South. Just wants to have the perception that he is getting turned down. The debate continued w/Marc Daniels at 9am. Basically yada yada yada...however, Daniels said the first year the Gators and UCF could get lined up is 2023/24 due to already made schedules.

THUS, HERE IS MY SOLUTION...

Danny White needs to work this and of course work with Strickland...Announce upper deck of Spectrum will be built and adding 20 to 30 thousand capacity and the Gators will be the opening game in 2023, or 2024. That way there will be plenty of tix available for the gators and UCF fans. Also, open up beer sales the entire stadium. Announce it as the biggest cocktail party in the south since eventually the gator/Georgia Jax game will probably go away. We get Gator fans to finance building the upper deck. Added bonus, us long time season ticket holders get shade from the upper deck AND beer in the cheap seats.... Win Win.

The debate/trolling continued on Open Mike radio show this morning. 8:30am'ish. Dooley, the journalist at Gainesville sun was on and had a theory that Danny White really doesn't want to book a power team from the South. Just wants to have the perception that he is getting turned down. The debate continued w/Marc Daniels at 9am. Basically yada yada yada...however, Daniels said the first year the Gators and UCF could get lined up is 2023/24 due to already made schedules.

Danny White needs to work this and of course work with Strickland...Announce upper deck of Spectrum will be built and adding 20 to 30 thousand capacity and the Gators will be the opening game in 2023, or 2024. That way there will be plenty of tix available for the gators and UCF fans. Also, open up beer sales the entire stadium. Announce it as the biggest cocktail party in the south since eventually the gator/Georgia Jax game will probably go away. We get Gator fans to finance building the upper deck. Added bonus, us long time season ticket holders get shade from the upper deck AND beer in the cheap seats.... Win Win.
That solution isn’t happening. Stadiums across the country should be getting smaller not bigger. I don’t see UCF ever adding 30,000 seats to Spectrum. It doesn’t make sense

Here's the link to the podcast:
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/139-...ucf-scheduling-theory-47553488/?cmp=web_share

You can literally listen to Dooley breath through his mouth which is exactly what I expected from a UF beat writer

"I don’t see UCF ever adding 30,000 seats to Spectrum. It doesn’t make sense"

Eh?

By 2023, Spectrum should be full to capacity. Isn't that is what holding us back is seating capacity on booking big draw teams, ie gators.. It's why moving a gator-ucf game to citrus bowl is brought up. I think it is inevitable, UCF builds up. Under Construction Forever....reach for the stars!

"I don’t see UCF ever adding 30,000 seats to Spectrum. It doesn’t make sense"
By 2023, Spectrum should be full to capacity. Isn't that is what holding us back is seating capacity on booking big draw teams, ie gators.. It's why moving a gator-ucf game to citrus bowl is brought up. I think it is inevitable, UCF builds up. Under Construction Forever....reach for the stars!
That’s not the future. The future is more premium seating and a better fan experience. Not 70,000 people

honestly, I’d be completely fine if it stayed at its existing / similar capacity until it's eventually replaced by an entirely new building.

Sure, we are bottom 1/3 in capacity (as are a few other notable P5 schools such as Baylor, TCU. Boston college, Washington STATE)...but not in atmosphere.

Would we really have to replace it? I don't know anything about their construction but I've noticed a few large P6 stadiums look to be basically bleachers with a bunch of brick and concrete under/around them.

Would we really have to replace it? I don't know anything about their construction but I've noticed a few large P6 stadiums look to be basically bleachers with a bunch of brick and concrete under/around them.
Not sure. I was thinking that, long-term
they’d need to at least do some substantial structural refreshing.

And I’ve been told zombie nation will make that happen sooner than expected haha

Reactions: Knight Strength
Well, no. If it was a UCF home game at the Citrus Bowl, UF would not get any more of a cut than they would at Spectrum
Ummm ... you don't know Florida Citrus Sports and their history with UCF. ;)

It's an insult, a very long running insult. At least the taxpayers made a stink of it when the for-profit Orlando City started up.

Ummm ... you don't know Florida Citrus Sports and their history with UCF. ;)

It's an insult, a very long running insult. At least the taxpayers made a stink of it when the for-profit Orlando City started up.

Actually, I do.

The post you quoted has nothing to do with UCF's history with FCS.

It has nothing to do with whether UCF would ever consider the option.

It's responding to your statement that somehow UF would get either all the money or a cut while UCF loses money (depending on which claim of yours we're looking at to derail the topic) for a UCF home game played in the CItrus Bowl.

He is not open to a 2 for 1 with any power 5. Sounded like just a select few.

Agree. Gators are never coming to spectrum (even if we expand the stadium).

This I disagree with

I would never say never. I think a lot of people are still in the mindset of college football that happened up until the mid-90s.

The sport has changed dramatically in the last 25 years.

btw, Danny White and I think alike! (now just gotta get beer sales in there)

“We’re confident that capacity crowds will become routine at Spectrum Stadium, and that suggests we need to be forward-thinking in terms of assessing what the options are to expand,” says White.

"In addition to being able to address the upsized demand from UCF fans and students for tickets, increased capacity would enable Spectrum Stadium to provide additional seats for visiting team allotments and other larger groups."

http://ucfknights.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=34100&ATCLID=211808983

btw, Danny White and I think alike! (now just gotta get beer sales in there)

“We’re confident that capacity crowds will become routine at Spectrum Stadium, and that suggests we need to be forward-thinking in terms of assessing what the options are to expand,” says White.

"In addition to being able to address the upsized demand from UCF fans and students for tickets, increased capacity would enable Spectrum Stadium to provide additional seats for visiting team allotments and other larger groups."

http://ucfknights.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=34100&ATCLID=211808983
I just read this, and I am glad you shared it. Enrollment this year is at 68k, season tickets sold out 3 weeks before the start of the season. I have a good feeling about expansion in the near future. :sunglasses:

Reactions: Central Floridave
I just read this, and I am glad you shared it. Enrollment this year is at 68k, season tickets sold out 3 weeks before the start of the season. I have a good feeling about expansion in the near future. :sunglasses:
I just hope we’re smart about it. Expand the tower first as those are usually locked in revenue for years and at a premium, and don’t build 25,000 cheap seats. When we have down years it will look even more empty with all that aluminum. There will be down years (every program has them)

Reactions: Knight Strength
I just hope we’re smart about it. Expand the tower first as those are usually locked in revenue for years and at a premium, and don’t build 25,000 cheap seats. When we have down years it will look even more empty with all that aluminum. There will be down years (every program has them)
Current plan, from what I saw, is double the tower size, and introduce 10,000 seats in a 3rd level on the east side, for a total of 55,000 + hundreds in additional box seats.

Current plan, from what I saw, is double the tower size, and introduce 10,000 seats in a 3rd level on the east side, for a total of 55,000 + hundreds in additional box seats.
With this they will have to add additional bathrooms and concessions. Not sure where this is going to go, but an additional 12000 or so people will be insane. Let's not forget about parking either. Hopefully the new lot layouts will speed things along.

With this they will have to add additional bathrooms and concessions. Not sure where this is going to go, but an additional 12000 or so people will be insane. Let's not forget about parking either. Hopefully the new lot layouts will speed things along.
Parking will just sprawl more into campus, already an issue.

As far as bathrooms, you should see other college stadiums. Some really suck. Our bathrooms are better than most.

Agreed on concessions, you cannot get through during half-time ... unless you're in the Cabana, of course. ;)

I'm hoping some day we can do something w/that god awful chain-link fence surrounding the field. Put up a brick facade and plant some bushes, or something to beautify. This has always been a major gripe of mine. I'm fine sitting in bleacher style seats for now. Don't get me wrong, I love our on-campus stadium.

Reactions: GatorMarc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT