ADVERTISEMENT

Bipartisan Border Security Bill being Sabotaged

DaShuckster

Diamond Knight
Nov 30, 2003
One of the talking points I hear over and over and OVER again from rank and file Republicans is the crisis at the border. And it IS a crisis---we need to do something.

I have been encouraged that Senate Republicans like GOP Whip John Thune had been working hard behind-the-scenes to put together a bipartisan border security bill. The word is it would put 14 billion dollars into seriously beefing up border security. I was shocked to hear that they've worked out a deal---during an election year no less---and Biden has said he'll sign it. It actually sounded like Congress was...gasp!... actually doing its job.

B-B-But wait a second. Donald Trump has weighed in that it's a 'bad' deal. A bad deal compared to....what? Doing nothing??? Trump says he'll take care of it in a day once he's back in office. Oooooookay....didn't he have four years to take care of it before? Remember the cornerstone of his 2016 campaign? The Wall!!! How much of it got built? Regardless, it sounds like the new Speaker of the House (Trump's new toadie) is set to rally the MAGAs in the House to kill it.

But you can be assured that the MAGA Crowd will continue using border security as a campaign issue. Yet another crass example of playing politics over helping the country.

Devil is in the details. I don't nor do you know what they are. If 95% of what is done is just processing them before shipping them all over the country, It is a bad deal. Just save the $$. This is a Biden caused problem, Why should the Right bail him out any more than the left has on cutting spending with continuing resolutions.

Biden only considered a bill as election nears. He has shown no interest in fixing it.

Biden only considered a bill as election nears. He has shown no interest in fixing it.
Bullshit. Biden sent an immigration proposal to Congress in his first week as President. And for the record, this immigration bill was co-written by the GOP's Senate whip.
This is a Biden caused problem
A Biden-caused problem? I could've sworn this has been an issue for decades now. I thought "The Master Fixer," Trump was fixing it back in 2016.

Reactions: Trigeek
Biden has the "tools" to take of this as president---but chooses not to. Blaming this on the idiot republicans is nonsense...

Last edited:
Reactions: major.tom.foolery
Biden has the "tools" to take of this as president---but chooses not to. Blaming this on the idiot republicans is nonsense...
A law passed by Congress is much better than an executive order which Republicans would find a way to bitch about too

Countering w ‘1 border crossing should shut down the border’ is unreasonable and would lead to economic chaos . Let’s be real Republicans never want to govern , they have been running on immigration fear mongering forever now. 2025 they won’t care again till the next midterm

Reactions: DaShuckster
Sure a law passed would be. much much better--- no doubt. But the democrats definitely don't want it shut down either. I wonder what else in in this Biden Security Bill? hmmmmm. I wonder why Biden just doesn't do something about it and continues to let the Republicans run on fear mongering? I wonder if there are existing laws that are not being followed by the Federal Govt for this?

Last edited:
I have heard interviews today from Senator Mike Lee from Utah and Ken Paxton, AG from Texas and both indicate that only a handful of people have seen the bill. It's an appropriations bill with much of it funding the black hole known as Ukraine.

It's a non starter for Mike Lee because the
Ukraine stuff is getting out of hand . He said much of the Ukraine money is for government employees and their pension. Yippee I say. Mike Lee further stated he hasn't read it and can't seem to get a copy but if it is just funding more catch and release and giving illegals more free cell phones abd airplane rides, it's also not getting him to vote yes. I am paraphrasing here.

The FACT is we have laws on the books regarding immigration that are not being enforced. Period. Full stop. Homeland Security is not doing its job. I don't see a need for a new law when they are not enforcing current law. This illegal immigration bull shit has been going on since Ronald Reagan and both Democrats and Republicans frankly suck at this one important job of the Federal Government.

It pisses me off how many businesses hire illegals while guys like me follow the rules to a Tee. I don't dodge my tax obligations. We need to shut the border hard. I would support a militarized border. I would support deporting illegals and going after businesses hard. Once you do this, then we can talk about guest workers. My government has lied and drug its feet on this and I am just done with it. If it makes you feel good to blame Trump, what ever. It's a 45 year problem in the making. Both sides love the immigration debate because it gives them their cannon fodder to blast the other side without doing a damn thing to solve it.

I heard a guy who started the business called Public Square. He was on the Megyn Kelly podcast and he said this. Einstein he said , said you don't go back to the same people who caused your problem to solve it. The Public Square Financeir webt on to say they can't. They are either too close to the problem or have their financial or power interest to not fix it. This is the US Border and our body politic.

I have not seen this legislation and its not been made public so commenting on how one side is tanking it and how it will fix immigration is purely speculation.

The FACT is we have laws on the books regarding immigration that are not being enforced. Period. Full stop. Homeland Security is not doing its job.
It's better not to comment at all than to show off your ignorance. Same with your Ukraine nonsense.
Sure a law passed would be. much much better--- no doubt. But the democrats definitely don't want it shut down either. I wonder what else in in this Biden Security Bill? hmmmmm.
The bill in Congress has been co-authored by REPUBLICANS and had (at least until Trump opened his big fat mouth) BIPARTISAN support. Yeah, I'm sure those tricksey Dems stuck some "Woke" stuff into the bill without GOP lawmakers noticing. :rolleyes:
I wonder why Biden just doesn't do something about it and continues to let the Republicans run on fear mongering?
LOL Gee, I can't IMAGINE why Biden 'just doesn't do something about it?' I'm sure you and all your fellow Republicans would applaud him stepping up by trying to do Congress's job for them by executive fiat, right?.

Screw a real bipartisan attempt to solve the problem. Let Biden step in now or wait for Donald to become 'dictator for a day' and fix it immediately by golly.

The bill in Congress has been co-authored by REPUBLICANS and had (at least until Trump opened his big fat mouth) BIPARTISAN support. Yeah, I'm sure those tricksey Dems stuck some "Woke" stuff into the bill without GOP lawmakers noticing. :rolleyes:
So what-- if the bill is co-authored by the idiot Republicans... If it's co-authored it makes it a good bill? Sure.....

I'd like to see what is really in it, wouldn't you?

LOL Gee, I can't IMAGINE why Biden 'just doesn't do something about it?' I'm sure you and all your fellow Republicans would applaud him stepping up by trying to do Congress's job for them by executive fiat, right?.

Screw a real bipartisan attempt to solve the problem. Let Biden step in now or wait for Donald to become 'dictator for a day' and fix it immediately by golly.
Oh boy.... Yes, something needs to be done now... If it's a bipartisan / co authored bill it must be a great plan......SMH.

Last edited:
It's better not to comment at all than to show off your ignorance. Same with your Ukraine nonsense.

So, you're saying we have no laws on the books regarding immigration, deportation, how to become a citizen and such? Weird, how is it the Coast Guard intercepted a bunch of Cubans in the Florida Keys and based on some nonexistent federal law deported them back to Cuba? You my friend truly must ignorant if you think we don't have existing laws on the books much less think we are enforcing those in any significant way.

Senator Lee said this immigration bill is being attached to an appropriations bill that is funding the employees of the Ukranian government and their pension plans. His words not mine. Now, as a business owner who pays federal taxes and an US citizen and voter, it's my opinion that I should not have to pay for government employees half way across the globe. It is also my opinion after hearing Lee and others say how they recently lost track of something like $4 billion dollars that Ukraine continues to be a deeply corrupt place. We are being taken to the cleaners there. Clearly, Shuck you think it's different. I will agree to disagree with you. The name calling is so uncalled for and is one reason I rarely post here.

I grew up in Florida and while it is not a direct border state it has had its share of Cubans and Haitains and others. I am far from anti immigrant. I am not a fan of anyone who doesn't respect the rule of law and our culture . IF you want to be an American then wait in line, file your paperwork, but dont break in through our back porch window and then demand services. I have no respect for that at all.

Taking Mike Lee’s word lol

why Republicans want Russia to get more land and push towards Poland ..they somehow admire Russian society who can’t even have the heat run all winter

Reactions: NinjaKnight
I don't trust the Republicans nor the Democrats that wrote the bill. Most in Senate have not seen it nor do they know what is in it. We know Biden has pushed for money to process more people while doing nothing to stop the flow.
I am not for us paying the salaries and pensions of Ukranian government officials nor employees. We have been.
Anyone here acting like they know it is a good idea to pass or not pass this bill is simply spouting party line BS. None of us know what or how much is in it and whether it is well spent.

Well actually we should all know; it won't be well spent. It will be money we don't have and cannot afford, spent in large part on crap that won't benefit most Americans.

Taking Mike Lee’s word lol

why Republicans want Russia to get more land and push towards Poland ..they somehow admire Russian society who can’t even have the heat run all winter
If they took care of their own people rather than invading others they could afford to run the heaters. I guarantee Putin has heat.

Oh boy.... Yes, something needs to be done now... If it's a bipartisan / co authored bill it must be a great plan......SMH.
Guess what? That 'SMH' strategy has done pretty well for this country the past 250 years. Compromise has been -- and will continue to be -- the way it works if our US Constitution is to survive.

Congress has always been about cajoling, horse-trading, deal-cutting, bread-buttering through a legislative process in order to reach consensus on a 'moderate middle.' But what we're experiencing is that one of the two parties doesn't want to participate in the governing process any more. They'd rather grandstand for the cameras and raise their personal profiles and campaign funds.
So, you're saying we have no laws on the books regarding immigration, deportation, how to become a citizen and such? Weird, how is it the Coast Guard intercepted a bunch of Cubans in the Florida Keys and based on some nonexistent federal law deported them back to Cuba?
I'm saying we HAVE immigration laws regarding the handling of refugees who come to this country seeking asylum out of fear for their lives. But they still have to prove their case. But the number of asylum-seekers has skyrocketed. Drug cartels and adject poverty in many parts of South America are to blame. If you want Congress to change the damn laws about asylum, fine. But just like our laws against illegal entry exist, so do our asylum laws.

Sure a law passed would be. much much better--- no doubt. But the democrats definitely don't want it shut down either. I wonder what else in in this Biden Security Bill? hmmmmm. I wonder why Biden just doesn't do something about it and continues to let the Republicans run on fear mongering? I wonder if there are existing laws that are not being followed by the Federal Govt for this?
He is trying to do something about it. It's Republicans that don't want anything done, because then their top campaign issue is suddenly gone.

There are existing laws, but the immigration system has been broken for decades, and the # of people trying to come here is overwhelming. If Republicans want to fix this they can quit trying to own the libs and actually try and govern.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaShuckster
A senator from OK, who has been working on this, was censured by the OK state Republican party. That should let anyone know that Republicans aren't interested in fixing this until after the election. Even trying to work on this is apparently enough to get yoi censured.

Guess what? That 'SMH' strategy has done pretty well for this country the past 250 years. Compromise has been -- and will continue to be -- the way it works if our US Constitution is to survive.

Congress has always been about cajoling, horse-trading, deal-cutting, bread-buttering through a legislative process in order to reach consensus on a 'moderate middle.' But what we're experiencing is that one of the two parties doesn't want to participate in the governing process any more. They'd rather grandstand for the cameras and raise their personal profiles and campaign funds.
Yes..... SMH. -- I don't even know where to start with this..... Well, I guess you're saying that our government is working... and the nonsense spending placed in bills (historically) is just part of the process and doesn't need changing?

Yes..... SMH. -- I don't even know where to start with this..... Well, I guess you're saying that our government is working... and the nonsense spending placed in bills (historically) is just part of the process and doesn't need changing?
You can't change anything if you aren't willing to put in effort to change it.

I'm saying we HAVE immigration laws regarding the handling of refugees who come to this country seeking asylum out of fear for their lives. But they still have to prove their case. But the number of asylum-seekers has skyrocketed. Drug cartels and adject poverty in many parts of South America are to blame. If you want Congress to change the damn laws about asylum, fine. But just like our laws against illegal entry exist, so do our asylum laws.
let's be honest, you like compromise as long as it is Republicans giving 80% and Dems 20. If the bill goes the other direction, you won't like it at all.

Horse training is fine, but as of today most Senators have no idea what has been traded. Over the last 20 years business as usual has screwed us up to the point of there not being a way to fix things. The big thing they fight over is how much money they don't have can they spend on crap that is of real value to few.
You don't know what is in this bill, or if it is a good bill, neither do I. I would argue the SMH strategy has not served us well at all over the last 30 years. Deal cutting today is a way for the rich elites to game the system against the country as a whole.

Last edited:
let's be honest, you like compromise as long as it is Republicans giving 80% and Dems 20. If the bill goes the other direction, you won't like it at all.

Horse training is fine, but as of today most Senators have no idea what has been traded. Over the last 20 years business as usual has screwed us up to the point of there not being a way to fix things. The big thing they fight over is how much money they don't have can they spend on crap that is of real value to few.
You don't know what is in this bill, or if it is a good bill, neither do I. I would argue the SMH strategy has not served us well at all over the last 30 years. Deal cutting today is a way for the rich elites to game the system against the country as a whole.
Everything I have read is that democrats have made quite a few concessions and this should be a bill Republicans like. But since Trump wants to campaign on it, they aren't going to accept anything.

You might not like the deals being cut, but how the hell is government supposed to operate if people from both sides aren't willing to cut deals?

Good grief. What the hell do you think the word compromise means? If one side feels like they're getting shafted, there's no bill. I feel sorry for the Republicans who've been working for weeks to craft a bipartisan solution only to have Trump sweep in in the eleventh hour to blow it out of the water.
I would argue the SMH strategy has not served us well at all over the last 30 years. Deal cutting today is a way for the rich elites to game the system against the country as a whole.
Those rich elites you are concerned about....are democrats??!?? Remember Citizens United? Where did the votes for that landmark decision come from?

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Everything I have read is that democrats have made quite a few concessions and this should be a bill Republicans like. But since Trump wants to campaign on it, they aren't going to accept anything.

You might not like the deals being cut, but how the hell is government supposed to operate if people from both sides aren't willing to cut deals?
Didn't say I didn't like deals cut, You can get nothing thru without deals. Just those deals have mostly been more bad than good. I don't for a second think this is likely to be more good than bad. That said I, just like you have little to no idea what is in the bill.

I don't for a second think this is likely to be more good than bad. That said I, just like you have little to no idea what is in the bill.
Do you people hear yourselves??!?

We all agree we have a crisis at the border yet Congress has done nothing. Our Congress hasn't crafted, let alone passed, a bipartisan immigration bill in AGES. But after decades of sitting on their hands and complaining, we finally get a serious bipartisan bill with a shot of being passed. But what do we hear from the MAGA Crowd? It's bad (without seeing the details) so we should continue to do nothing.

The Most Important Thing when it comes to border security is for Trump to have a campaign issue.

So, the administration just does nothing--- nothing can be done until a bill is passed......

And congress is doing nothing either. Let's not give them a pass for not doing their jobs.
Yes-- very true-- but the administration can do something about it immediately-- instead of causing problems with Texas.

Didn't say I didn't like deals cut, You can get nothing thru without deals. Just those deals have mostly been more bad than good. I don't for a second think this is likely to be more good than bad. That said I, just like you have little to no idea what is in the bill.
The house Republicans are saying the bill is DOA, so if they aren't even willing to negotiate it or pass it, then doesn't really matter what is in it anyway.

Regardless, this is another poorly thought Republican plan. They can't argue the border is this huge national security issue, but then not try and fix it just so Trump has something to run on. This is going to bite them in the ass because they are going to have to start answering questions on it.

Yes-- very true-- but the administration can do something about it immediately-- instead of causing problems with Texas.
Congress can also work to do something about it immediately as well. They get paid to do a job too, and we should expect them to do it.

Reactions: AAC6800
BTW, it was Republicans who were threatening Ukraine funding if Democrats didn't come to the table with regards to the border. Democrats come to the table, and all of a sudden Republicans are no longer interested.

What's more important----- funding Ukraine or a wide open border? hmmm. I wonder what one has to do with the other.....

The point is, one side wants the illegals here. Sanctuary cities welcome them, I hear.

Last edited:
What's more important----- funding Ukraine or a wide open border? hmmm.
That's what GOP lawmakers said. So a bipartisan group of senators dealt with the 'wide open' border issue so a bill could be passed that could address BOTH.

But what's happened? The Republican demand that we address border security if we're going to continue funding Ukraine turned out to be a bluff. Par for the course.
The point is, one side wants the illegals here.
The point is, the immigrants you are calling "the illegals" are LEGAL asylum-seekers. If you don't like this humanitarian policy, Congress has the power to change our asylum laws. The notion this is "Biden's fault" is bullsh*t.

How about all of the ILLEGALS, coming across not seeking the asylum process?? Yes, they are ILLEGAL ALIENS and should not be here. Let me type that again, ILLEGAL.

How about all of the ILLEGALS, coming across not seeking the asylum process?? Yes, they are ILLEGAL ALIENS and should not be here. Let me type that again, ILLEGAL.
Thanks bigtobacco. Please continue posting more of these incredibly insightful and equally well researched failed Fox News takes in between serving customers at the drive through window.

I have no idea if this bill really deals with the border or not. Neither does anyone else here. The bill Dems and Biden were for was tons of cash for processing those that crossed and little or nothing to stop the flow. Other than a small group of people no one has seen this bill. It may be great and if it should get passed. If it is typical garbage in garbage out I am all for not passing it. At some point we have to get real about spending, and paying the salaries and pensions of foreign countries should not be part of that spending. That is happening in Ukraine.

I have no idea if this bill really deals with the border or not. Neither does anyone else here.
Including Trump, yet he's been telling his minions in the House that it's a BAD bill. I guess the border is a crisis that needs to be fixed---unless the economy is doing well and your Standard Bearer desperately needs a campaign issue.
The bill Dems and Biden were for was tons of cash for processing those that crossed and little or nothing to stop the flow.
A fascinating take from a guy who just told us he has no idea what's in the bill. :rolleyes:
At some point we have to get real about spending, and paying the salaries and pensions of foreign countries should not be part of that spending. That is happening in Ukraine.
The Republican Party I once supported were staunch defenders of liberty around the world. Jesus, what the hell happened? Now you guys are spouting pure Russian propaganda. Putin would be proud of you.

Including Trump, yet he's been telling his minions in the House that it's a BAD bill. I guess the border is a crisis that needs to be fixed---unless the economy is doing well and your Standard Bearer desperately needs a campaign issue.

A fascinating take from a guy who just told us he has no idea what's in the bill. :rolleyes:

The Republican Party I once supported were staunch defenders of liberty around the world. Jesus, what the hell happened? Now you guys are spouting pure Russian propaganda. Putin would be proud of you.
That was what Biden was pushing for a couple of months ago. I don't know what they did or did not do. That said with politicians it is best to expect the worse, you likely will receive it. I don't support Putin nor Russia, but also am not for an endless money pit in Ukraine. I want money saved and not added to debt, and what is spent mostly spent on our country. Every citizen of the US today owes 106K. I saw the # being 260k if you are talking only taxpayers. That doesn't even cover the unfunded SS/Medicare/medicaide liabilities.
22% of all spending is borrowed money. There is a point coming when the dam breaks.

The next time the Gov't wisely spends money will be the first time in decades.

I don't support Putin nor Russia, but also am not for an endless money pit in Ukraine.
Like you, I would endorse a fiscally conservative approach to government. Wouldn't it be nice to have an actual budget again and working to lower our federal deficit? But turning our backs on Ukraine is one of the absolute worst things we could do for the safety of our country. It is a blessing to our country that Putin underestimated the US and NATO's reaction to his invasion of Ukraine. Given the situation, Putin would LOVE for the US to give up on Ukraine.

What would be the situation in Eastern Europe today if Trump had still been President? And what message would that have sent to China?

Trump already told you Putin wouldn't have invaded if he was Prez.
As for fiscally conservative, you have been for virtually every big spending package they have pushed out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT