ADVERTISEMENT

BR: "The Chaos Scenario That Will Land UCF in the College Football Playoff"

We don’t need a crazy scenario to get in because there isn’t one that exists in a 4-team format. What we need is someone with a bigger stick to get left out and do the bitching for us. Here is what I am hoping for:

1) Clemson runs the table finishing as 13-0 conference champ.
2) ND runs the table and finishes 12-0
3) Michigan runs the table and finishes as a 12-1 champ.
4) Texas runs the table and finishes as a 12-1 champ.
5) UGA makes it to the SEC champ game at 11-1
6) Alabama makes it to the champ game at 12-0

Then the chaos happens since Clemson and the SEC champ are in. If the SEC champ is UGA that’s the perfect storm. Then some combination of ND, Texas, Michigan and Alabama will be left out. Any one of those teams will have a huge beef and will raise all kinds of Holy Hell. My first hope is that Texas gets left out and has to play us in the Fiesta Bowl. That will really get them screaming. My second hope is that ND and Michigan get in over a one-loss non-conference winning Alabama or Alabama keeps one of those 2 out after losing to UGA. Then for gravy I want WSU to run the table and finish as a 12-1 champ since they stand no shot of getting in.

Either way we aren’t getting in this year nor are we going to scream loud enough to change the system. We need others to get screwed so change happens. We will be the beneficiary. Just like Michigan doing all the dirty work to get Patterson eligible. We benefited by getting Tre Nixon. We never would have been able to get him eligible on our own.

So this year I’m not hoping for chaos by teams losing. I’m hoping for chaos by teams taking care of business and there not being enough spots available for teams that have a lot of pull.

I think Alabama losing 1...still taking a playoff spot with another from the SEC. Notre Dame gets in with 1 other like Clemson. The Big 12, Big 10, and Pac 12 get left out.

UCF beats the pissed out of somebody in the fiesta bowl. Claim another national championship.

This already happened last year didn’t it? Didn’t the Big 10 champ OHST get left out for Alabama? They didn’t make a peep for more than one day then they let it go

We don’t need a crazy scenario to get in because there isn’t one that exists in a 4-team format. What we need is someone with a bigger stick to get left out and do the bitching for us. Here is what I am hoping for:

1) Clemson runs the table finishing as 13-0 conference champ.
2) ND runs the table and finishes 12-0
3) Michigan runs the table and finishes as a 12-1 champ.
4) Texas runs the table and finishes as a 12-1 champ.
5) UGA makes it to the SEC champ game at 11-1
6) Alabama makes it to the champ game at 12-0
As rankings sit now and In the above situation I believe it would be:
Clemson
ND
Michigan
UGA (no SEC Champ will ever be left out of a playoff)

Texas and Bama would be 5 and 6.

I think the long term goal is to get to 8 teams, maybe even 16, but I believe the current system is in place at least for another or 7 years. So I don't think it will be changing any time soon.

As rankings sit now and In the above situation I believe it would be:
Clemson
ND
Michigan
UGA (no SEC Champ will ever be left out of a playoff)

Texas and Bama would be 5 and 6.

I think the long term goal is to get to 8 teams, maybe even 16, but I believe the current system is in place at least for another or 7 years. So I don't think it will be changing any time soon.
That would be the best of all. Texas and Alabama get left out. All Hell breaks loose.

The CFP with only 4 slots was doomed from the start with 5 conferences in the Power 5, especially after seeing the Ohio State and Alabama favoritism above championship victories on the field :)

The CFP with only 4 slots was doomed from the start with 5 conferences in the Power 5, especially after seeing the Ohio State and Alabama favoritism above championship victories on the field :)
I don't think it was intended, but I think 4 instead of 6 has reduced the in-fighting amongst the pampered-5.

By having 4 slots, they all knew up front there would be years they wouldn't have a team in. If it was 6, they'd all assume a spot every year and they'd be pissed the years they didn't get the first round bye or the extra team.

I don't think it was intended, but I think 4 instead of 6 has reduced the in-fighting amongst the pampered-5.

By having 4 slots, they all knew up front there would be years they wouldn't have a team in. If it was 6, they'd all assume a spot every year and they'd be pissed the years they didn't get the first round bye or the extra team.
Pissing and moaning will continue until we have a 12 or 16 team playoff system. A 12 team playoff would allow the top 4 ranked teams to enjoy a bye week in the first week of a 4 round playoff schedule. This should allow for 10 P5 teams and 2 G5 teams in a 12 team playoff.

Reactions: Knight Strength
That would be the best of all. Texas and Alabama get left out. All Hell breaks loose.
Bama could have 2 losses, be left out, and I think all hell would still break loose. Bama has so much favoritism it isn't even funny.

I think Alabama losing 1...still taking a playoff spot with another from the SEC. Notre Dame gets in with 1 other like Clemson. The Big 12, Big 10, and Pac 12 get left out.

UCF beats the pissed out of somebody in the fiesta bowl. Claim another national championship.
I don't think we should claim another championship. I think it would piss everyone off more if we didn't.
"We only claim championships when the NCAA gives them to us, but our student athletes weren't allowed a chance this year" would play against the stereotype that we're delusional and point back to the problem we want to address.

If we let the argument become about championship legitimacy, battle lines have been drawn and we have a worse argument. If it's about whether half of CFB is being excluded, I think we gain more supporters.

Edit: piss autocorrected to pass

I don't think we should claim another championship. I think it would piss everyone off more if we didn't.
"We only claim championships when the NCAA gives them to us, but our student athletes weren't allowed a chance this year" would play against the stereotype that we're delusional and point back to the problem we want to address.

If we let the argument become about championship legitimacy, battle lines have been drawn and we have a worse argument. If it's about whether half of CFB is being excluded, I think we gain more supporters.

I agree. Having the ncaa validate it last year made a big difference

Reactions: clmssun

Yes, between the perfect storm of honest-to-goodness logic with UCF beating the team who beat the two championship game contenders within a month (and within two hours of their campus) capped by the Colley Matrix ranking (due to the Auburn-Bama-UGa situation), the National Championship claim had a strong basis. I don't see that situation developing this year, and thus I think we should just continue to rattle the cage for participation in the playoff, but not boast of a national championship without basis. (Even Penn State has had 3 undefeated seasons where they were not crowned national champions.)

Reactions: Knight Strength
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT