ADVERTISEMENT

Brexit

Who voted for Brexit? According to the Wall Street Journal, two-thirds of Britons who did not finish high school. Who voted against it, in other words, to stay in Europe? Seventy percent of college graduates. Those who voted for Brexit were disproportionately older, white, working class, less educated and poorer. Those who voted to remain in Europe were younger, ethnically diverse, better educated and better off.

I don't think this will have the impact the brexit folks envisioned at all.

Gee, white people voted to leave? Shocking! But wait, a majority of white people also voted to stay?

It's almost as if the UK is 87% white or something.

But hey f*ck it- let's have the American left wing culture warriors frame this as a white vs poor minorities issue yet again.

Honestly, Im surprised that they didnt require a 60 or 70% majority on an issue so large as a European Union exit on a simple 51% vote.

It will be really interesting to see what Northern Ireland, Wales, and Scottland do now.

Honestly, Im surprised that they didnt require a 60 or 70% majority on an issue so large as a European Union exit on a simple 51% vote.

It will be really interesting to see what Northern Ireland, Wales, and Scottland do now.

It was stupid and another reason why direct democracy with majority mob rule is a terrible idea. Any type of similar decision here would have to go to the Senate and would require 60% passage and then go to the President for signature. The 51% mob cannot simply overrule the 49%.

It's also why the Electoral College is actually a fantastic safeguard against national majority-rules elections.

Get yourself absolutely ossified and then come back and read Coke's posts. That's only when they make sense.
it all makes sense "from a certain point of view" - like fellow literary geniuses recognized posthumously i prefer to be considered crazy while i'm alive, but i expect future generations to acknowledge and/or apologize

Reactions: fabknight
it all makes sense "from a certain point of view" - like fellow literary geniuses recognized posthumously i prefer to be considered crazy while i'm alive, but i expect future generations to acknowledge and/or apologize

Don't hold your breath. As the Greeks said, stupid is.******

I have been.

09-11:
60-40 Dem Senate
257-178 Dem House

11-13:
53-47 Dem Senate (-7)
242-193 GOP House (-64)

13-15:
55-45 Dem Senate (+2)
234-201 GOP House (+8)

15-17:
54-46 GOP House (-9)
247-188 GOP House (-13)

Overall Dem Loss Since Obama Took Office:
(-14) in the Senate
(-69) in the House

Reactions: Knight_Light

I am also surprised. Heck, Florida required a 60% vote just to have medical marijuana. They leave the EU with 53% of the vote? They should have required a higher percentage to pass.

Reactions: MACHater02
I have been.

09-11:
60-40 Dem Senate
257-178 Dem House

11-13:
53-47 Dem Senate (-7)
242-193 GOP House (-64)

13-15:
55-45 Dem Senate (+2)
234-201 GOP House (+8)

15-17:
54-46 GOP House (-9)
247-188 GOP House (-13)

Overall Dem Loss Since Obama Took Office:
(-14) in the Senate
(-69) in the House
Yet they've still accomplished nothing. LOL

Yet they've still accomplished nothing. LOL

They've accomplished blocking the Obama agenda that the voters rejected by flipping Congress. #winning

They were never going to get anything done with Nobama in the WH. He can't compromise like Clinton and Bush did. He either gets his way or just tries to get around Congress with executive orders.

The poor are more likely to be small bus people, and think as individualist, They tend to want power as close to the individual as possible. While rich work for the Man in one way or another, whether in govt, or large corporations. They tend to group think, as they are all indoctrinated, into the progressive commune. Education does not make you smarter, it simply means you are a better trained monkey.

They've accomplished blocking the Obama agenda that the voters rejected by flipping Congress. #winning

They were never going to get anything done with Nobama in the WH. He can't compromise like Clinton and Bush did. He either gets his way or just tries to get around Congress with executive orders.
How do you compromise with people whose stated goal is to make you fail?

The EU is a non-elected technocracy that does nothing to reflect the democratic will of the millions of people it claims to "serve" financially. Anyone that has studied any history at all would know those systems are the first step in the creation of totalitarian dictatorship, I.E. China. It can be argued that it is one already in regards to financial control and the slow erosion of each individual nation's cultural identity and history (Like what China is trying to do to Tibet, Chinese believe Tibet is China. But the fact remains that Tibet has its own history, culture, language and belief systems). To say a sovereign country or territory has no right to control its own destiny and to reduce influence of others is like saying Native Americans had no right to to preserve THEIR culture and identity by fighting the European incursion into the Americas. It's the same logic...but of course people take the side of the Native Americans when reading history...

People argue for diversity...but at the same time argue for unity. A dilemma.

The EU was trying to create its own ARMY! This would have usurped NATO (due to treaty) and would have rendered each "member nation's" ability to defend itself by its own means as antiquated. I just don't think that's right, at all.

In regards to the "white people" vote in Britain? I don't care what you are, if you are born in Britain, you are British...and no-one ever said otherwise. The same goes for the United States. It's just a fact.

Last edited:
Reactions: UCFBS
People try to say it's nationalism. No, it's determinism.

People are tired of other people deciding what is right for everyone else, but not giving them a say. So the UK said, "Enough, if you're not going to include us, we're not going to include you."

Same thing happened in German's recent elections, and it also explains the popularity of Trump ... including Trump getting the most votes of any Republican in a primary, as he predicted (and the media laughed at).

The poor are more likely to be small bus people, and think as individualist, They tend to want power as close to the individual as possible. While rich work for the Man in one way or another, whether in govt, or large corporations. They tend to group think, as they are all indoctrinated, into the progressive commune. Education does not make you smarter, it simply means you are a better trained monkey.

This is the most ridiculous statement in this thread and loaded with prejudice.

Reactions: MACHater02

LMMFAO. We might be able to take this seriously if you weren't an old idiot and if you actually graduated from any college whatsoever. But you didn't.

Are you promoting poverty?

Last night I was watching a show on deep space, featuring some of the best theoretical physicists in the world, and all I could think about was "My God, look at these moron trained monkeys".

Reactions: jetsaholic

https://www.axios.com/brexit-donald...val-d29ce10f-005c-43c6-89c2-5ba59b112644.html

BREAKING NEWS: EU WILL NOT EXTEND BREXIT DEADLINE FOR BRITAIN!
by Kevin Ryan

The next nine days will likely be the most significant for Britain since World War II.

That’s because European Council President Donald Tusk has just announced in a hastily arranged press statement that the EU will not approve a Brexit extension unless Britain agrees to the exit deal that Prime Minister Theresa May and the EU negotiated. That effectively gives the UK nine days to choose between no deal and May's deal, which Parliament has twice rejected by significant margins.

Britain’s exit from the EU will take place on March 29th, with or without a deal to replace the various trade terms that were part of EU membership. Ms. May and EU negotiators had come up with a deal that would allow Britain to exit the EU while maintaining many of its border and trade provisions. But in a vote reminiscent of America’s failed attempt to repeal and replace Obamacare, the deal was rejected in Parliament by a combination of members who thought it went too far and those who felt it didn’t go far enough in extracting Britain from the EU.

That leaves the UK with just over a week to choose from three politically difficult alternatives:

• A “no deal” Brexit that puts back in place border crossing checkpoints between Northern Ireland (which is part of the UK) and Ireland (which is part of the EU), and reimposed tariffs between the UK and the EU.

• Prime Minister May’s negotiated Brexit terms, which pro-Brexit ministers say would leave Britain too beholden to the EU’s onerous rules and regulations, and which Parliament has voted against twice. House of Commons Speaker John Bercow seemed to rule May’s terms out this week when he said the chamber cannot vote on “the same proposition or substantially the same proposition” a third time.

• Staying in the EU. Going against 2016’s voter-approved/mandated exit from the European Union would call into question Britain’s commitment to its democratic principles and possibly lead to an uprising among the millions of Britains who voted for it. It would also presumably require another nation-wide referendum to overturn the original vote. Parliament ruled out another referendum just last week.

Whatever the outcome, the next nine days will shape the future of Britain and Europe for years to come. Stay tuned…

https://www.axios.com/brexit-donald...val-d29ce10f-005c-43c6-89c2-5ba59b112644.html

BREAKING NEWS: EU WILL NOT EXTEND BREXIT DEADLINE FOR BRITAIN!
by Kevin Ryan

The next nine days will likely be the most significant for Britain since World War II.

That’s because European Council President Donald Tusk has just announced in a hastily arranged press statement that the EU will not approve a Brexit extension unless Britain agrees to the exit deal that Prime Minister Theresa May and the EU negotiated. That effectively gives the UK nine days to choose between no deal and May's deal, which Parliament has twice rejected by significant margins.

Britain’s exit from the EU will take place on March 29th, with or without a deal to replace the various trade terms that were part of EU membership. Ms. May and EU negotiators had come up with a deal that would allow Britain to exit the EU while maintaining many of its border and trade provisions. But in a vote reminiscent of America’s failed attempt to repeal and replace Obamacare, the deal was rejected in Parliament by a combination of members who thought it went too far and those who felt it didn’t go far enough in extracting Britain from the EU.

That leaves the UK with just over a week to choose from three politically difficult alternatives:

• A “no deal” Brexit that puts back in place border crossing checkpoints between Northern Ireland (which is part of the UK) and Ireland (which is part of the EU), and reimposed tariffs between the UK and the EU.

• Prime Minister May’s negotiated Brexit terms, which pro-Brexit ministers say would leave Britain too beholden to the EU’s onerous rules and regulations, and which Parliament has voted against twice. House of Commons Speaker John Bercow seemed to rule May’s terms out this week when he said the chamber cannot vote on “the same proposition or substantially the same proposition” a third time.

• Staying in the EU. Going against 2016’s voter-approved/mandated exit from the European Union would call into question Britain’s commitment to its democratic principles and possibly lead to an uprising among the millions of Britains who voted for it. It would also presumably require another nation-wide referendum to overturn the original vote. Parliament ruled out another referendum just last week.

Whatever the outcome, the next nine days will shape the future of Britain and Europe for years to come. Stay tuned…

Oh boy. Shit is about to get real.

Waiting for @DaShuckster 's response to a three year old post.
Brexit is a great example of nationalism gone amok.

If Great Britian's leadership has any common sense -- and any balls -- they'd announce they'd changed their minds and will remain in the EU. Otherwise, this self-inflicted clusterfu*k is only going to go from bad to God-awful "we're royally screwed" bad.

Reactions: fried-chicken
Brexit is a great example of nationalism gone amok.

If Great Britian's leadership has any common sense -- and any balls -- they'd announce they'd changed their minds and will remain in the EU. Otherwise, this self-inflicted clusterfu*k is only going to go from bad to God-awful "we're royally screwed" bad.

I thought this is what you guys wanted? Direct democracy. Isn't that what you clowns are crying for in your attempt to abolish the Electoral College and establish national referendum votes? Representative federalism is for the birds!

I guess I'm confused as to when you guys think direct democracy is awesome and when it's "nationalism gone amok". I suppose when it falls along political fault lines that you don't agree with.

Reactions: UCFBS and UCFWayne
I thought GB always kinda had a tenuous relationship with the EU as it were, no? I mean, they kept the freaking pound vs. Euro.

I guess the left's pro-EU cunning two-prong strategy of calling every leave voter a RACIST!!! and failing to put together a positive case for remaining in the EU really worked. It tends to every. single. time. I mean it's weird how not engaging 17 million Brits and disparaging them off instead had no long-lasting side effects...

Reactions: UCFWayne
I thought this is what you guys wanted? Direct democracy. Isn't that what you clowns are crying for in your attempt to abolish the Electoral College and establish national referendum votes?

So you're going to use the Brexit vote as a defense for the Electoral College? You might want to check the Brexit vote map before automatically assuming an "Electoral College-like tally" would have changed anything.

The Brexit vote is a classic example of the pro-Brexit people stoking the fears and resentments of the population, particularly older English voters. It also didn't help that the anti-Brexit leaders were out-of-touch, incompetent boobs.

So you're going to use the Brexit vote as a defense for the Electoral College? You might want to check the Brexit vote map before automatically assuming an "Electoral College-like tally" would have changed anything.

The Brexit vote is a classic example of the pro-Brexit people stoking the fears and resentments of the population, particularly older English voters. It also didn't help that the anti-Brexit leaders were out-of-touch, incompetent boobs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resul..._Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum
800px-United_Kingdom_EU_referendum_2016_area_results.svg.png

the point went clear over your head. the left leaders have called to remove the electoral college. that would mean who ever got more votes wins regardless of who won which state. more people voted to leave the eu than stay. might want to brush up on your reading comprehension skills

Reactions: UCFBS

This post is proof that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Like always.

Parliament, in every single pre and post Brexit poll, was overwhelmingly in favor of staying in the EU. A majority of the Tories who are in power were in favor of staying in the EU. Gee UCFKnight85, what does that mean???

What it means is that if the UK had resisted the idiotic urge to leave something like this to direct democracy vote, and a majority-wins referendum, the UK would still be in the EU today and this wouldn't even be taking place.

And while you ignorantly assume that this was just a bunch of honkies in the sticks disliking people not like them, you miss the fact that there had been a growing frustration in the UK at the fact that more and more of the power and wealth of the country was concentrated in London and the rest of the country was left to wilt and die. The EU would pass laws that directly impact and hurt populations in the north, in the east, and yet no one in London was impacted so little care was paid and thus we now have Brexit. Trying to reduce this to "RACISTS! VOTED TO LEAVE! is just another ignorant assumption from you.

I thought GB always kinda had a tenuous relationship with the EU as it were, no? I mean, they kept the freaking pound vs. Euro.

I guess the left's pro-EU cunning two-prong strategy of calling every leave voter a RACIST!!! and failing to put together a positive case for remaining in the EU really worked. It tends to every. single. time. I mean it's weird how not engaging 17 million Brits and disparaging them off instead had no long-lasting side effects...

The Remain people in the UK have been/are acting a lot like the Left here. The reasons for why they lost an election or a voter are irrelevant; they just want to call the other side racists and vow to hate them for not thinking like them.

Reactions: UCFWayne
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resul..._Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum
800px-United_Kingdom_EU_referendum_2016_area_results.svg.png

the point went clear over your head. the left leaders have called to remove the electoral college. that would mean who ever got more votes wins regardless of who won which state. more people voted to leave the eu than stay. might want to brush up on your reading comprehension skills

My point was that it wouldn't have mattered either way. Admittedly, I am no UK political wonk, but I looked at the same map you've posted and it sure appeared to me that there were more blueish territories than yellowish ones.

However, if a "Electoral College-like" vote would have actually kept the UK in the EU, then I stand corrected.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT