ADVERTISEMENT

California Wild Fires

They've had a couple of bad years over there and Mendocino got hit especially hard just last year. A lot of us have had the displeasure of having to evacuate because of a hurricane, but at least with a storm you know that it's of finite duration (not including cleanup, etc.). Evacuating because of a wildfire is like fleeing from a war-ravaged area. It's anyone's guess as to when you'll be able to return.

For the oenophiles of the cooler: I was having dinner with a winemaker (Benoit Touquette) a few weeks ago who said that 2016 is shaping up to be an iconic vintage (just like 2015, 2013 and 2012); but, the 2017s don't look to be worth touching because of the October fires in Napa and Sonoma (at least the vineyards from which he sources). You might be ok with some early harvests; but, it looks to me like 2017 is going to be a throw away year. Zero sum if you consider all of the blockbuster years of late.

https://www.sfgate.com/california-w...Fire-wildfires-California-calfir-13135314.php

the current fire is now the largest in recorded history. so far its destroyed 443 square miles. its pretty scary over there.

interactive map of the fire: http://google.org/crisismap/google.com/2018-carr-fire

This is all fake news. Republicans in Cali: remember what Trump said, the media is the enemy of the people. No need to evacuate, none of this posted by the media is true.

I'm kinda wondering how/why 'controlled burns' aren't working on such a grand scale.

Is it because of where people have built and/or traveled these days?

Kinda my point.

Controlled burns are just like concealed carry.
They don't stop all fires any more than they do all shootings.

But they mitigate where they occur, and most definitely how much they spread. ;)

Private, environmental firms armed with lawyers have been pretty powerful.
Especially ever since a lot of Californian companies starting making automatic deductions to support them like they do for the United Way.

Here's a typical result:

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT