ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Ward looks to be everything we thought KJ Jefferson would be....

Gus’ offense doesn’t attract top QBs. Nobody wants to come there just to handoff 30-40 times a game.
No but at the same time look at the RB that we are getting. I agree that I wish we could get a better passing qb.

Both veterans playing their first game with a new team...Ward looks solid vs Florida...Jefferson looked lost vs New Hampshire. I hope Jefferson is watching and has some pride in his play. It's time to show up KJ...
Thanks.

Gus is a great recruiter and CEO, he is not a great coordinator, he needs to accept that.
Most head coaches have too large of an ego to hand over the keys to the car. As much as it'd benefit us to add some wrinkles into the offense, its not going to happen. Not saying the offense is bad, but it could be made more appealing to top level quarterbacks.

Most head coaches have too large of an ego to hand over the keys to the car. As much as it'd benefit us to add some wrinkles into the offense, its not going to happen. Not saying the offense is bad, but it could be made more appealing to top level quarterbacks.
Totally Gus’ fault. He hasn’t produced 1 good QB. Hasn’t developed 1 QB. Has run off multiple QBs. His ego is hurting our program and it’s completely avoidable if he brought in great offensive minds to coach. It’s what great coaches do.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
All we can hope for is that KJ gets better fast because Gus is loyal to a fault. Besides I'm not sure anyone is that much better at passing than KJ. The things that hurt KJ is starring down his primary target and not going through his progressions and poor foot work. He's appears to be slow making decisions...especially the right one. I sure hope he is a better passer than we saw against a d2 school or it's going to be another losing season.

Reactions: knightcrew
The things that hurt KJ is starring down his primary target and not going through his progressions and poor foot work. He's appears to be slow making decisions...especially the right one.
Totally agree. I don't want to sound like a Nervous Nellie after a dominating win but my gut reaction to KJ after Game 1 was the same as I felt about Jeff Sims at Nebraska after Game 1 a year ago. It doesn't mean KJ can't turn it around but Sims sure as hell didn't.

Last edited:
All we can hope for is that KJ gets better fast because Gus is loyal to a fault. Besides I'm not sure anyone is that much better at passing than KJ. The things that hurt KJ is starring down his primary target and not going through his progressions and poor foot work. He's appears to be slow making decisions...especially the right one. I sure hope he is a better passer than we saw against a d2 school or it's going to be another losing season.
They are Division 1.

If I could push back against this just a little bit…

I don’t think it’s fair to compare Jefferson and Ward at all. Even at his best, Jefferson is nothing like Ward. Ward has never been a running threat, and he’s always played in Air Raid offenses that have allowed him to accumulate incredible passing numbers. It’s comparing apples to oranges.

I was there, Jefferson had an awful game. He was high with his throws, his timing was off. He was too slow reacting to things all around. Jefferson had a bad game, it happens. He’s also started 40 times in the SEC, and has beaten LSU, Auburn, UF, etc. I don’t think he has forgotten how to play. I still love his upside running this offense.

And while I do admit that Gus’s system is not favorable for attracting high-end NFL-caliber QB’s (and that I miss the Frost/Heupel/Lebby days as well), I wouldn’t necessarily say there’s anything wrong with the Malzhan offense.

I feel like a broken record when I always have to point this out, but UCF was literally a Top-10 offense in the country last year. The offense can’t be that broken.

QB was not the problem last year, Plumlee was more than fine. We lost seven games, and the majority of those losses were a direct result of one of the worst run defenses in the country. Period.

Ward could have a bad week next week, and Jefferson could have a good one. And this whole narrative could be different.

Both veterans playing their first game with a new team...Ward looks solid vs Florida...Jefferson looked lost vs New Hampshire. I hope Jefferson is watching and has some pride in his play. It's time to show up KJ...
what is the we stuff. I think KJ can be ok to good, Had no thoughts of a super star. I don't worry much yet, tons of players need a week to shake off the rust. Practice is great, but not same as getting on the field live.
There is a reason a lot of upsets tend to happen week one.

I don’t think it’s fair to compare Jefferson and Ward at all. Even at his best, Jefferson is nothing like Ward. Ward has never been a running threat, and he’s always played in Air Raid offenses that have allowed him to accumulate incredible passing numbers. It’s comparing apples to oranges.

I was there, Jefferson had an awful game. He was high with his throws, his timing was off. He was too slow reacting to things all around. Jefferson had a bad game, it happens. He’s also started 40 times in the SEC, and has beaten LSU, Auburn, UF, etc. I don’t think he has forgotten how to play. I still love his upside running this offense.

And while I do admit that Gus’s system is not favorable for attracting high-end NFL-caliber QB’s (and that I miss the Frost/Heupel/Lebby days as well), I wouldn’t necessarily say there’s anything wrong with the Malzhan offense.

I feel like a broken record when I always have to point this out, but UCF was literally a Top-10 offense in the country last year. The offense can’t be that broken.

QB was not the problem last year, Plumlee was more than fine. We lost seven games, and the majority of those losses were a direct result of one of the worst run defenses in the country. Period.

Ward could have a bad week next week, and Jefferson could have a good one. And this whole narrative could be different.
Coulda shoulda...we saw what we saw. Let's hope we see something better this week.

Reactions: connerito
what is the we stuff. I think KJ can be ok to good, Had no thoughts of a super star. I don't worry much yet, tons of players need a week to shake off the rust. Practice is great, but not same as getting on the field live.
There is a reason a lot of upsets tend to happen week one.
Who expects super star? I mentioned solid. "We" should expect solid from KJ (or anyone) as QB1 at UCF.

Brown looked more impressive as a runner. The fumble sucked but whatever. He also made some throws into tight spots that were just a hair away from being really impressive. It was just one game and a small sample size, but if you want an explosive offense he seems like the better choice.

KJ just seemed big. Not explosive as a runner or impressive as a passer. His passing stats have never been impressive, outside of a few games, nor has his running ability. Missing wide open receivers like he did is awful. I hope I’m wrong about him because Gus doesn’t really make changes at QB and then the talented QBs leave.

Coulda shoulda...we saw what we saw. Let's hope we see something better this week.
Okay, well at least I know some of you all are consistent (hated Milton his freshmen year, booed him in bowl game; hated Keene his freshmen year, changed that tune pretty quickly; turned on Gabriel, “sock boy”; hated on Plumlee as he continually put his body on the line, etc.).

Let’s ignore a sample-size of thousands of KJ snaps/reps. He’s terrible because of one half against New Hampshire. Got it.

I wonder why everyone hates this fan base?

Cam Ward was pretty incredible in that game. First time I've seen him play. Wowsa, what a thing to do. First game with a new team and go into the swamp and beat the Mighty Gators. Amazing.

I'm hoping lightning can strike twice and KJ Jefferson can do that same thing two years in a row. Beat the Gators in the swamp.

Reactions: CBlackwellRN
Okay, well at least I know some of you all are consistent (hated Milton his freshmen year, booed him in bowl game; hated Keene his freshmen year, changed that tune pretty quickly; turned on Gabriel, “sock boy”; hated on Plumlee as he continually put his body on the line, etc.).

Let’s ignore a sample-size of thousands of KJ snaps/reps. He’s terrible because of one half against New Hampshire. Got it.

Our fans have a weird obsession for a QB2

They brag on Cam Ward. Yet they fail to realize UCF produced THREE running backs with more rushing yards than the "nation's No. 2 ranked running back transfer" had against Florida.

They brag on Cam Ward. Yet they fail to realize UCF produced THREE running backs with more rushing yards than the "nation's No. 2 ranked running back transfer" had against Florida.

Georgia only had 163 yards rushing in week 1. UCF should obviously be ranked #1. Georgia probably contacting Malzahn right now.

• Haha
Reactions: Poolside Knight

Go back and look at my posts....they're not about your "consistent" claims. But they're also not about being a "homer". They're about reality. As a UCF Knight, the reality is Jefferson has a sample size of 1 game. It wasn't good. Let's see what he does Saturday. I'm hoping it's better but that's on KJ, not some message board posters, isn't it?

Reactions: Guinness_Knight
Georgia only had 163 yards rushing in week 1. UCF should obviously be ranked #1. Georgia probably contacting Malzahn right now.
Malzahn has a job. So Georgia is probably blowing up Scott Frost's cell.

The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

BTW, Cam was not live for the spring game or for any of scrimmages. College teams are not making their starting QBs live until games are played. Just so you know.

KJ was never going to look as good as Cam Ward. What we need to see is command of the offense with 65% or more completion, at least 200 yds/game, and something like 2 TDs against 1 Int.

Those kind of star lines should get us a lot of wins.

Reactions: muckdawg24
KJ was never going to look as good as Cam Ward. What we need to see is command of the offense with 65% or more completion, at least 200 yds/game, and something like 2 TDs against 1 Int.

Those kind of star lines should get us a lot of wins.
I was told from a UCF fan that gets inside info that KJ got $350k and that Jacurri brown got close to $350k as well.

I like JB…he’s a good kid, smart but he is not ready. His best throw is a deep pass…he has no touch on the ball and has a hard time completing short passes.

JB is a great athlete, very strong arm but paying him $350k is insane. Waste of money imo.

Was K.J. supposed to be a good running QB? He looked slow. And on that 4th & 1 he just ran right into the defender with his head down with a hole to the right of him. So does he do anything well?

Was K.J. supposed to be a good running QB? He looked slow. And on that 4th & 1 he just ran right into the defender with his head down with a hole to the right of him. So does he do anything well?
He was about 30+ pounds lighter as a freshman and was more of a dual threat. Put on weight with each year and his rushing numbers diminished along with it.

a defender with his back to the play because the o-lineman did his job and turned him and KJ said F that hole i want to run into that guy instead.

Reactions: akhenaten
“If he goes to the right place and if he makes the right decision? Cam Ward is going to be in the Heisman Trophy race,” said Fox Sports commentator Joel Klatt. “There’s no doubt. There’s some places that I don’t think that that’s the case. For instance, and this is not a knock, but if he goes to Miami? I don’t see him being in the Heisman race. I don’t see Miami having the type of team season that it would require for him to go do that."

Miami doesn't have a very deep offensive line. If Cam Ward scrawny azz continues to be the u's second-leading rusher, he won't be quarterbacking for long.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
Thanks. I thought they were d2. We still should have been able to complete more passes. The TCU game will be the first big test for KJ.
Agree. KJ can play like ass these first 2 weeks and running + defense can bail him out. Probably won’t do it against TCU. He has to be almost midseason form or we lose and everyone wants him and Malzahn gone. Norvell and Travis did great last year. Their fans still want him gone if they lose 6+ this year. Should be same for us. Max , 5 losses. Max.

Agree. KJ can play like ass these first 2 weeks and running + defense can bail him out. Probably won’t do it against TCU. He has to be almost midseason form or we lose and everyone wants him and Malzahn gone. Norvell and Travis did great last year. Their fans still want him gone if they lose 6+ this year. Should be same for us. Max , 5 losses. Max.
The problem is I don't think we are in good enough financial condition to buy out his contract. I think we start getting a full share next season. I just hope we win at least 8 games this season to avoid all the negatives.

Remember the resident Malzone homunculus talking about UCF’s “SEC Trigger Man”?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT