ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Walker Declares for NBA Draft

UCF_Kaz

Five-Star Recruit
Mar 18, 2021

Here’s hoping he gets good advice on whether to stay in school or commit to staying the draft. Would be a big loss for the program imo if he does leave.

Im confused by him saying "we ended early" and using past tense for being here, but mentions he is keeping eligibility. I mean he had some explosive plays but I don't think he was even the best player on the team let alone draftable. But best of luck to him, not gonna hate.

Just testing the waters. He has a lot of deficiencies. He has 5-star athleticism but a 3-star game right now. The last three games of the regular season he finally asserted himself and his numbers were way up, and he just had a bigger impact on those games.

Regular season: 7 pts/game, 5 rbs/game, 58% FT, 1 ast/game, 1 stl/game, 1.7 blk/game.
Last 3 regular season games: 15 pts/game, 8 rbs/game, 58% FT, 2 ast/game, .33 stl/game, 2.6 blk/game.

He has a season with a stat line better than his last 3 games he may be ready. I get teams draft more on potential than current skill level but I wouldn't touch him as a GM. There is an entire planet to draft from.

Im confused by him saying "we ended early" and using past tense for being here, but mentions he is keeping eligibility. I mean he had some explosive plays but I don't think he was even the best player on the team let alone draftable. But best of luck to him, not gonna hate.
agree 1000%

He’s definitely not getting drafted. Aubrey was better and can barely do much in G League. He should return. No point in even writing a letter that sounds final though. He may just go no matter what they say.
It's almost like they just want to get noticed or get attention and submit these announcements. He is not even really draftable. I wonder who helps them write these announcements and who advises them??

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
It's almost like they just want to get noticed or get attention and submit these announcements. He is not even really draftable. I wonder who helps them write these announcements and who advises them??
Right. What's wrong with submitting for the NBA draft so you can get feedback on your perceived strengths and weaknesses, but not telling the world you did so.

It would be like me posting a tweet saying I'm thinking of apply for the Citibank Sapphire Card (just making a name up) just to let everybody know I'm thinking about it, and then deciding not to apply anyways. Nobody cares, nor should they.

I mean, good luck to him. He should do it so he can get an evaluation. I wonder, though, with so many kids "Declaring" just to get evaluated, how good the evaluations are. Do they have the staff to properly evaluate everyone "Declaring"?

It should be pretty obvious to kids what their chances are, and what their weaknesses and strengths are. I'm pretty sure Johnny Dawkins can assess him better than some NBA guy watching some film on him.

For only $5,000 I'll assess him. It may not be a great assessment but I'm probably cheap compared to a "professional" doing it.

Strengths:
1) Big Wing span.
2) Excellent athleticism.
3) Athleticism allows for exceptional rebounding and blocking ability.
4) Very good at plays moving towards the rim.
5) Runs the floor well on fast breaks.

Weaknesses:
1) He doesn't assert himself enough.
2) Shooting percentage is not good (when you take out points in the paint).
3) He doesn't assert himself enough.
4) 3Pt shooting is abysmal.
5) Not great with his back to the basket.
6) Ball handling needs to improve.
7) Frame could handle 10-20 pounds of muscle/weight to "bang" more in the paint, without affecting his athleticism.
8) FT shooting needs to improve by at least 10% points. (currently at 58%).
9) Excellent athleticism but at the next level everyone is an excellent athlete.
10) He doesn't assert himself enough.

I'm sure I forgot plenty of "details"....but what do you want for only $5k.

Right. What's wrong with submitting for the NBA draft so you can get feedback on your perceived strengths and weaknesses, but not telling the world you did so.

It would be like me posting a tweet saying I'm thinking of apply for the Citibank Sapphire Card (just making a name up) just to let everybody know I'm thinking about it, and then deciding not to apply anyways. Nobody cares, nor should they.

I mean, good luck to him. He should do it so he can get an evaluation. I wonder, though, with so many kids "Declaring" just to get evaluated, how good the evaluations are. Do they have the staff to properly evaluate everyone "Declaring"?

It should be pretty obvious to kids what their chances are, and what their weaknesses and strengths are. I'm pretty sure Johnny Dawkins can assess him better than some NBA guy watching some film on him.

For only $5,000 I'll assess him. It may not be a great assessment but I'm probably cheap compared to a "professional" doing it.

Strengths:
1) Big Wing span.

Weaknesses:
7) Frame could handle 10-20 pounds of muscle/weight to "bang" more in the paint, without affecting his athleticism.
9) Excellent athleticism but at the next level everyone is an excellent athlete.

You can just Google mock draft. They are pretty spot on. If you aren’t a 5 star freshman or averaging a bunch of points or rebounds you probably won’t get drafted. Some kids will be drafted that played G League this year. He needs to come back and double production if he has NBA aspirations.

Because the list of early entrance is easy to obtain. If you declare for the draft and don't make it publicly known then the narrative becomes "Why didn't he make it known that he was entering the draft? What is he trying to hide?"

The bottom line is that in order for NCAA men's basketball players to get feedback from NBA staffers while maintaining their eligibility, even from a telephone call or a Zoom, the player must declare for the NBA Draft.

Walker and Adams will both withdraw from the 2021 NBA Draft before the deadline in Late July.

Since they didn't declare for the draft AND enter the transfer portal you can rest easy that they will withdraw from the draft and return to UCF.

Because the list of early entrance is easy to obtain. If you declare for the draft and don't make it publicly known then the narrative becomes "Why didn't he make it known that he was entering the draft? What is he trying to hide?"

The bottom line is that in order for NCAA men's basketball players to get feedback from NBA staffers while maintaining their eligibility, even from a telephone call or a Zoom, the player must declare for the NBA Draft.

Walker and Adams will both withdraw from the 2021 NBA Draft before the deadline in Late July.

Since they didn't declare for the draft AND enter the transfer portal you can rest easy that they will withdraw from the draft and return to UCF.
We understand. But why word it with finality? Just say I’m testing the waters and may return.

Strengths:
1) Big Wing span.

Weaknesses:

Nice write up Matt. :cool:

Thank goodness. But why the big Goodbye story?

We understand. But why word it with finality? Just say I’m testing the waters and may return.
I wish kids would do that.

But almost every kid wants attention and social media likes and simply posting "I’m testing the waters and may return," won't likely accomplish that.

Heck one of the reasons these kids enter the transfer portal is because they're going to get recruited all over again. Coaches are going to be showing them love and telling them how good they are and how much they're needed all over again.

I wish kids would do that.

But almost every kid wants attention and social media likes and simply posting "I’m testing the waters and may return," won't likely accomplish that.

Heck one of the reasons these kids enter the transfer portal is because they're going to get recruited all over again. Coaches are going to be showing them love and telling them how good they are and how much they're needed all over again.
Collin Smith syndrome?

Collin Smith syndrome?
I think his situation is a little different. I admit that I am short on details on Smith but Brandon reported that his opt out this season had nothing to do with Covid.

That made me speculate, and I really hate to speculate, that UCF medical people did not clear him to play for some reason. Which would explain him entering the transfer portal.

Reactions: ahabmw and UCF_Kaz
I think his situation is a little different. I admit that I am short on details on Smith but Brandon reported that his opt out this season had nothing to do with Covid.

That made me speculate, and I really hate to speculate, that UCF medical people did not clear him to play for some reason. Which would explain him entering the transfer portal.
Sickle Cell?

I saw a couple of IG posts by CJ on this subject but I couldn't tell if the jet ski accident recently happened or if he was sharing remembrance for something that happened further in the past.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT