ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Frost now under contract through 2021 season

Smart move, when you are in a position of weakness(G5) you gotta invest in that Stock before it shows full returns. Don't want to be like USF and how they were treating Taggart in Season 3, that sped up his exit

Ashley will be the key for him staying longer than anyone outside UCF expects if he wins big here
C_AWEBaW0AAe5oq.jpg

Reactions: Knight_Light
I doubt any of the successful coaches Danny hired (and definitely not Danny) will be here in 2021, but that's not the point. We should be in much better shape than when we they came here (in fact we already are).

However, even if we get invited to a P-5 conference by then, that still doesn't mean we'll have the cash and stature/challenge to hold onto these folks. But it would mean that only the top, say, 30 schools would be able to entice them to leave.

I doubt any of the successful coaches Danny hired (and definitely not Danny) will be here in 2021, but that's not the point. We should be in much better shape than when we they came here (in fact we already are).

However, even if we get invited to a P-5 conference by then, that still doesn't mean we'll have the cash and stature/challenge to hold onto these folks. But it would mean that only the top, say, 30 schools would be able to entice them to leave.
I don't expect P5 to happen but the chances of a Football coach leaving would drop significantly. Gary Patterson at TCU is a good example, the Big12 invite made him comfortable and happy where he's at when there has been interest.

Smart move, when you are in a position of weakness(G5) you gotta invest in that Stock before it shows full returns. Don't want to be like USF and how they were treating Taggart in Season 3, that sped up his exit

I've always said that UCF should use our reputation of sticking with coaches to our advantage. Everyone knows there is a trade-off between $$$ and job security. If we can't out spend programs then we have to offer more job security.

Smart move to extend the contract on just that point alone.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Very nice. How much will he be making a year is the big question? He makes I believe 1.7 million now. Will it be 2 million? 3 million if he hits incentives?

Before the Stock shows full returns?? How about we use football speak and simply say this young, unproven coach just got a raise and extension before he had his first winning season? Amazing to me that he gets all this praise after going 6-7....how screwed up is that?

Before the Stock shows full returns?? How about we use football speak and simply say this young, unproven coach just got a raise and extension before he had his first winning season? Amazing to me that he gets all this praise after going 6-7....how screwed up is that?
You know what? Sometimes you just have to go with your gut feeling. Any great athletic director and president had to take a few risks in their careers to become great.

Not a lot of downside risk like there was with much older GOL's contracts. At worst, he's still brought training into the 21st century, comes from a winning tradition, and has switched the offensive personnel for today's spread. In addition, being just good in each sport won't be enough in the competitive Florida media and recruiting market, so a higher risk commitment has a lot more upsides than downsides, especially to grab a brass ring entry ticket to the P5 before the box office door shuts for good.

Reactions: 80'sKnight
Football speak. Just do better than the last guy and you will be good. O'Leary started and ended winless. Frost started out with 6 wins. I'll take that. This year we need 8 imo to keep the tide going in our favor.

Football speak. Just do better than the last guy and you will be good. O'Leary started and ended winless. Frost started out with 6 wins. I'll take that. This year we need 8 imo to keep the tide going in our favor.
I just don't see 8 wins this year. Most likely 7. Maybe with a bowl win. We will have to beat 1-2 team that we aren't supposed to.

Dawkins isn't going anywhere. He's old.

I just don't see 8 wins this year. Most likely 7. Maybe with a bowl win. We will have to beat 1-2 team that we aren't supposed to.
Name the teams we have no chance against? Play along with QB play is average at least.

Name the teams that are unbeatable on schedule.
None. Not sure what that has to do with us winning 8 games or not

The chances are low that we are winning at Navy, at Maryland, home at GT, home at USF with Flowers and home at Memphis so early in the season

We COULD go 13-0, but will we?

The chances are low that we are winning at Navy, at Maryland, home at GT, home at USF with Flowers and home at Memphis so early in the season

You said 1-2 teams we're not supposed to beat. We're only supposed to beat 2 or 3 teams on schedule. Others are toss ups.

vs what? waiting till after the first 10 win season and less than a year left on the deal? All these coaches have egos, this show of faith gives a better chance at him not looking for the first P5 job to get out of town. Taggart had his agents leaking his name during season 3 bc he hated how the USF Athletic Director and Boosters were treating him.

Reactions: Mikesi
You said 1-2 teams we're not supposed to beat. We're only supposed to beat 2 or 3 teams on schedule. Others are toss ups.
If we beat 1-2 teams from that list,of 5 games we are probably going to win 7 games or more not including the bowl.

We are beating Maine, FIU and Uconn and ECU
(4 wins)

Out of Temple. Cincinnati, SMU
We win 1 or 2
(5-6 wins)

That's where I got the number of approximately 7 wins if we beat 1-2 teams on that list of 5 games.

Those are the games that will determine an OK, good, or great season.

Last edited:
vs what? waiting till after the first 10 win season and less than a year left on the deal? All these coaches have egos, this show of faith gives a better chance at him not looking for the first P5 job to get out of town. Taggart had his agents leaking his name during season 3 bc he hated how the USF Athletic Director and Boosters were treating him.
Unfortunately, sometimes you have to kiss the ass and show loyalty to even an unproven coach, because they have egos and you absolutely have to assume that maybe, just maybe if they are successful, that they will return that loyalty and stay

That's how the game works.

Great move!! Especially with a coach who is showing that loyalty and integrity are important things to him.

If it were another coach, it may not matter as much, but you still have to do this.

14-0 if you count the spring game.

You say this as if things worked out badly for USF. Now we actually have a coach that's older, accomplished, and may stay for the rest of his career instead of a one-off recruiter who's a subpar in-game coach and was ready to bolt at the first hint of success.

Frost = Taggart for now, which is why you guys had better hope he isn't your coach for the full length of the contract. Because the only thing that means is you were mediocre.

You say this as if things worked out badly for USF. Now we actually have a coach that's older, accomplished, and may stay for the rest of his career instead of a one-off recruiter who's a subpar in-game coach and was ready to bolt at the first hint of success.

Frost = Taggart for now, which is why you guys had better hope he isn't your coach for the full length of the contract. Because the only thing that means is you were mediocre.
You better hope your coach is around a year from now. The way things are going he won't be.

Go away cow. This is so far off. Just like he has done before, Strong will bolt at the first offer that he gets from a P5 school. The only problem is that he may stay solely on the fact that he can't win with you cows especially post Flowers.

You cows may become mediocre for a long time to come as Strong has NOT been accomplished lately and he's not off to a very good start at USF.

USF would have been thrilled to keep Taggart as he led you from way less
than mediocrity to the best season you have ever had and he would have continued to build on that next year.

So., I'm not sure why you are saying that you cows would have been mediocre for the full length of his contract

Reactions: LemmyKilmister

Oh look, poor little owen the Heifer fan shows up to troll.

What's the point of a contract extension when the coach can just bail? Confidence boost? Good for recruitment? Recruits know coaches can bail for a better offer. I've never understood this.

Well, buyout was increased which would help UCF if Frost left early but then again he got a $300,000 per year raise while his staff will split an extra $50,000 per year.

It isn't a huge deal. It is a one year extension, that likely takes 20 schools off any bidding list for him. He still can afford to move on if big offer comes up, and school can still afford to dump him if it needed to.

The only downside risk is if he is so bad performance-wise that we have to buy him out. Otherwise, there's little cost.

You guys fell backwards into Strong but there are still no guarantees with him. He just underachieved at a place that is the best market in the Big12. It's too early to say Frost is similar to Taggart, Taggart would look dumbfounded on the sidelines against opponents USF had a clear talent advantage over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT