ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches #12 / AP #14

Square Knight

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
kRBHh1x.jpg

Polls are nice. It feels good to the see the alma mater in the top 25 scroll and in the rankings. However, none of it matters. Winning is all that matters. Win out and UCF is hopefully making the trip to Atlanta where my son and I will buy tickets for the Peach Bowl.

The middle aged guys here who were around in our Division II and 1-AA days know UCF has routinely been in the hunt for national titles. It's in our DNA. The P5G5 divide is arbitrary bull crap. I wish the Conference and or schools had the stones to force a legitimate playoff with all conferences competing for a 16 team system just as we did in the 80s and early 90s. They could litigate for starters.

Otherwise, these polls are nothing more than a beauty contest.. maybe we rise to place to make it uncomfortable to the P5 committee this year. Maybe it's two SEC schools, Notre Lame and the ACC and it makes the other 3 mad enough to expand it to 8?

Don't get me wrong, it's cool seeing us ranked but to what ends does it accomplish? I know many here feel the same way. We are proud of our team and school but its annoying as hell to be pated on the head and have the ESPN talking heads ignore the success other than where is Frost coaching next.

if we had a legitimate shot year in and year out for competing for a true national title , two things happen. Scott Frost stays for 10 plus years and we compete with UF,Miami and FSU for top talent.

Charge on..go knights

CFB we should be at least #15. Unbelievable how Wisconsin is still higher than us. Glad Iowa State choked too. The CFB rankings are what you should expect though when you have a bunch of old men making the ranks. They get angry at how new of a program UCF is. Tradition and old names appeal to them.

Navy and Maryland losses hurt us with computers. Dropped to 9th from 8th in Massey composite.

Memphis won and keeps moving up in the rankings so that should offset that. Navy also lost to a team we have to play so makes Temple look a little better. We need FIU to win CUSA to give us a victory over a conference champion. Knocking off a top 25 USF then top 20 Memphis would boost us past any 2 loss team and hopefully most 1 loss.

My take is that if you're not in the top 4 of the CFB the rank doesn't really matter anyway. We are playing for a NY6 bowl berth. I don't want the respect of some old farts, I want an opportunity for our men to win the Peach Bowl - after that we can discuss respect.

If we win out this month, we will get into the Top 10 before conference championship and bowl game. Of course the rankings wont compare to playing on Jan. 1st (and winning).

There
If we win out this month, we will get into the Top 10 before conference championship and bowl game. Of course the rankings wont compare to playing on Jan. 1st (and winning).

There's some games this week that if go our way we could be top 8 top 10 for sure after it. We should jump the loser of Miami-ND, Oklahoma-TCU, Auburn-Georgia. Washington could lose to Stanford and Wisconsin to Iowa.

My take is that if you're not in the top 4 of the CFB the rank doesn't really matter anyway. We are playing for a NY6 bowl berth. I don't want the respect of some old farts, I want an opportunity for our men to win the Peach Bowl - after that we can discuss respect.
It does matter tho. Someone on here has explained a couple times that if we're not in the top ten after the CCG we will be more likely to get put in the Fiesta Bowl instead of Peach

It does matter tho. Someone on here has explained a couple times that if we're not in the top ten after the CCG we will be more likely to get put in the Fiesta Bowl instead of Peach

Oh sheit. I stand corrected. C'mon voters pull your heads from your arses!

Just keep winning and winning big. UCF needs to worry about UCF

Let's move up in every poll. They all count

Reactions: KnightLife1
There

There's some games this week that if go our way we could be top 8 top 10 for sure after it. We should jump the loser of Miami-ND, Oklahoma-TCU, Auburn-Georgia. Washington could lose to Stanford and Wisconsin to Iowa.

Not sure we jump the loser of ND-Miami. That will only be Miami's 1st loss and to a Top 3 team. ND will have 2 losses, but we already have teams ahead of us with two losses. ND's 2 losses will be to Top 5 teams by that point. I don't see this committee dropping either that far. Had UM lost to VaTech, that would have been a different story.

Not sure we jump the loser of ND-Miami. That will only be Miami's 1st loss and to a Top 3 team. ND will have 2 losses, but we already have teams ahead of us with two losses. ND's 2 losses will be to Top 5 teams by that point. I don't see this committee dropping either that far. Had UM lost to VaTech, that would have been a different story.

ND might have 2 good loses but they can't be a conference champion, there only way in is running the table. We might not jump them next week but if we win the AAC we will. The committee didn't like Miami much, let's see how a win over an overrated VT does for them. If they're like 7th or 8th we will jump them.

If we win out we make the playoff.

I would say MAYBE but only if we blow out USF and Memphis in the CCG. It's still a maybe at that point and by maybe I mean...1% chance. Just the way the system is.

A little off topic from the thread...but I did get the billboard posted late last night.
ndmWbQ8.jpg
For future reference, its perfectly acceptable to use the ranking from AP or Coaches rather then CFP.

Last edited:
Dude you make it sound like we're winning national championships left and right...you overstate it, unless of course we're referring to our glorious surfing, paintball and sign language championships and playoff runs.

Dude...sorry you are not familiar with UCF's very successful history in the lower divisions before we moved up to 1A/FBS.

Memphis won and keeps moving up in the rankings so that should offset that. Navy also lost to a team we have to play so makes Temple look a little better. We need FIU to win CUSA to give us a victory over a conference champion. Knocking off a top 25 USF then top 20 Memphis would boost us past any 2 loss team and hopefully most 1 loss.
In this coming weekend, 7 games involve 2 ranked teams. There will be carnage, and several more 2 and 3 loss teams in the top 25. It is going to get much harder to justify ranking over a dozen P5 teams ahead of us.

ND might have 2 good loses but they can't be a conference champion, there only way in is running the table. We might not jump them next week but if we win the AAC we will. The committee didn't like Miami much, let's see how a win over an overrated VT does for them. If they're like 7th or 8th we will jump them.

I think it depends on what week of the poll we're talking. We will need a few more wins to catch them I think. Next week, ND is't dropping from 3rd to 15th because they lose to #6, assuming Miami is going to be #6 this week. We would need ND to whip them by 30+ in order for them to drop to the mid teens.

haha not a chance. We will move up 2 spots at most. Might even drop a spot

Who's jumping us? LSU and NC State who were right behind us lost. Miss State who we are right behind didn't impress, PSU lost and their best win isn't as good as ours. OSU got smoked and their best win just lost again. We are definitely jumping Iowa State, Oklahoma State lost close but we have a better win, Virginia Tech isn't very good and we have a better win. We have a better win than half the teams in front of us with 0 loses, they can't hold us back for long.

Who's jumping us? LSU and NC State who were right behind us lost. Miss State who we are right behind didn't impress, PSU lost and their best win isn't as good as ours. OSU got smoked and their best win just lost again. We are definitely jumping Iowa State, Oklahoma State lost close but we have a better win, Virginia Tech isn't very good and we have a better win. We have a better win than half the teams in front of us with 0 loses, they can't hold us back for long.
Techinically youre right, but when the broadcasters during the game with SMU kept bringing up if we would be more impresive with a win over 4-4 Ga Tech and ignoring our win over a 6-2 FIU team, then read between the lines.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT