ADVERTISEMENT

College football playoff

Mikesi

Diamond Knight
Oct 17, 2013
It's funny that we all talk about an 8 or 16 team playoff, although more entertaining, It seems like almost always the best 2 teams end up playing each other and the best team wins the national championship game.
Isn't that what we all wanted and what it was made to do?

It's funny that we all talk about an 8 or 16 team playoff, although more entertaining, It seems like almost always the best 2 teams end up playing each other and the best team wins the national championship game.

Not always. Sometimes the best team doesn't get to play.

not every season will be like this one where there is a clear cut Top 2, don't know why the media kept hyping the BIG10

not every season will be like this one where there is a clear cut Top 2, don't know why the media kept hyping the BIG10
The question is, do we need 8 teams in to determine this? I'm for it, but for other reasons like a chance for us to get in.

The question is, do we need 8 teams in to determine this? I'm for it, but for other reasons like a chance for us to get in.

I used to be for 8 but then seasons like this happen where there is a big drop off and I'm not sure.

My favorite format is expand to 6, 5 auto bid, 1 at large, and Top 2 seeds get a bye. That first round games get played On Campus then they go to the 2 Bowls like its set up now.

Let the play on the field determine it and not the supposed experts. Open up the playoffs to conference champions only!

(Select 1 from non-P5 with highest ranking for slot #6; #1 and #2 teams get bye in week one which is played 1 week before what we have now which consists of final 4.)

Reactions: Poolside Knight

It's basketball season

I'll do a 6 month sig bet that you can't choose the final 4 NFL teams after week 12.

Deal?

You may not even pick the Best NFL team at start of playoffs. Giants and Steelers both won as 6 seeds.

So.., basically, it sounds like 4 teams is OK for some like myself and 6 teams with some good ideas for a bye, etc., is the consensus.

Please don't tell me that Western Michigan or whoever "deserves" a shot. Hope Wisconsin destroys them, to prove a point.

So.., basically, it sounds like 4 teams is OK for some like myself and 6 teams with some good ideas for a bye, etc., is the consensus.

Please don't tell me that Western Michigan or whoever "deserves" a shot. Hope Wisconsin destroys them, to prove a point.
I'd prefer 8.

You may not even pick the Best NFL team at start of playoffs. Giants and Steelers both won as 6 seeds.
Southern Cal and FSU would be dangerous in an 8 team Playoff this season with how they played at the end of the Season. But I'm ok with teams getting punished for laying eggs in the first 6 weeks, that's what separates College Football's Regular Season.

FSU has as much talent as Clemson/Bama but their current D Coordinator sucks scheming vs Spread Offenses.

Name one that was going to win the national championship. TCU?? Baylor? Penn State?
There's not usually a single team that can beat everyone, that's not how football works. Football is about matchups, sacrifices, gambles. Alabama or Clemson could lose to a team that matches up well and gets blown out the following week by a "lesser" team. That's what makes playoffs fun.

This is video game sports. It's real athletes, many of whom are out for the season the more games you play. The season is too long as it is. Playing 13 or 14 games makes an even greater farce of "student-athletes." Attendance is declining nationally each year amidst competing demands of infinite kinds of entertainment.

There usually isn't a "best" team because sports is not "transitive": A beat B, B beats C doesn't mean A can beat C. It's about matching up. Some great teams could never beat a Navy, for example. They just have the wrong personnel.

Reactions: UCFhonors
Southern Cal and FSU would be dangerous in an 8 team Playoff this season with how they played at the end of the Season. But I'm ok with teams getting punished for laying eggs in the first 6 weeks, that's what separates College Football's Regular Season.

FSU has as much talent as Clemson/Bama but their current D Coordinator sucks scheming vs Spread Offenses.
Alabama would beat FSU very handily IMO and already annihilated USC. Yes USC is better now with their QB,but so is Alabama

There's not usually a single team that can beat everyone, that's not how football works. Football is about matchups, sacrifices, gambles. Alabama or Clemson could lose to a team that matches up well and gets blown out the following week by a "lesser" team. That's what makes playoffs fun.
Yeah, but do you want a Navy or Baylor of old with say 1-2 loses knocking off an undefeated Alabama because of a "gimmick" offense?

This is video game sports. It's real athletes, many of whom are out for the season the more games you play. The season is too long as it is. Playing 13 or 14 games makes an even greater farce of "student-athletes." Attendance is declining nationally each year amidst competing demands of infinite kinds of entertainment.

There usually isn't a "best" team because sports is not "transitive": A beat B, B beats C doesn't mean A can beat C. It's about matching up. Some great teams could never beat a Navy, for example. They just have the wrong personnel.

giphy.gif

[laughing] Saban told Kiffin get out of here

also did anyone else see that Bama refused to shake Washington players hands before the game? made me think of the whiny Arkansas State Coach/Players/Fans faux controversy

4 team playoff is a joke. Do you really think they picked the 4 best teams based on how they are playing at the end of the year? Sorry, I am still disturbed that Ohio State was picked, and didn't even win the conference. Note to the Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany send the conference champs. With that said; Let the delusion continue in this post. Clemson will beat Alabama by 10 points :sunglasses:

Reactions: UCFhonors
4 team playoff is a joke. Do you really think they picked the 4 best teams based on how they are playing at the end of the year? Sorry, I am still disturbed that Ohio State was picked, and didn't even win the conference. Note to the Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany send the conference champs. With that said; Let the delusion continue in this post. Clemson will beat Alabama by 10 points :sunglasses:

Some people say that the playoffs devalue the regular season. Well the head to head win and conference championship was devalued. That alone should have made Penn State the favorite over Ohio State.

The regular season was devalued when they came up the committee. Barring 2 or more losses (FSU, Michigan) we're told at the beginning of the year who is going to make the playoffs. Something extraordinary bad has to happen for a few big money schools for a Washington to sneak in.

The bottom line is the best 2 teams are playing and that's all that really matters. People wanted a unanimous and unified champion and we will have one.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
I do have to agree that this year the two best teams will be playing for the championship. I don't see this playing out every year with a 4 team playoff. Just my opinion your mileage may vary. :sunglasses:

I do have to agree that this year the two best teams will be playing for the championship. I don't see this playing out every year with a 4 team playoff. Just my opinion your mileage may vary. :sunglasses:
How many teams would you like to see? Or a different format/system?

Big Ten Champ lost 38-0 in the "playoff" last year.

Heck, this year's Big Ten Champ lost to a Pac-12 team that didn't even win their division in yesterday's Rose Bowl.

Reactions: Mikesi
Clemson Coach Dabo Swinney makes a good case why Playoff expansion can be a drain on the players. I see that point of view and with the Finals/ Recruiting Calendar anything more than 6 would be really tough to do.

Clemson coach Dabo Swinney explains the challenge of making it back to the national title game: "It's been 34 years since Clemson got back and now we've been able to get back in back-to-back years, which is incredible. It's really hard to do. There's very few programs that can maintain that type of consistency. You've got to have a lot of things in place from a culture standpoint ... Nowadays you're having to win 14 games to get to this point, and it's just a lot that goes into it with health and injuries and the parity of college football ... It's competitive and tough to do."

Reactions: Mikesi
Clemson Coach Dabo Swinney makes a good case why Playoff expansion can be a drain on the players. I see that point of view and with the Finals/ Recruiting Calendar anything more than 6 would be really tough to do.

Clemson coach Dabo Swinney explains the challenge of making it back to the national title game: "It's been 34 years since Clemson got back and now we've been able to get back in back-to-back years, which is incredible. It's really hard to do. There's very few programs that can maintain that type of consistency. You've got to have a lot of things in place from a culture standpoint ... Nowadays you're having to win 14 games to get to this point, and it's just a lot that goes into it with health and injuries and the parity of college football ... It's competitive and tough to do."
That's why they can cut 2 or 3 OOC Games. Just keep 1 tuneup game or 1 rivalry game or both of those and get rid of other 2. 4 OOC games is not needed during regular season.

That's why they can cut 2 or 3 OOC Games. Just keep 1 tuneup game or 1 rivalry game or both of those and get rid of other 2. 4 OOC games is not needed during regular season.

I don't think you are going to find a lot of support for that idea coming from any AD's. Having those OOC games on campus is a big source of income. Say the average ticket price is $20, if they can draw 60,000 that would be $1.2 million. The gate from three home OOC games is going to cover a lot of costs. And if you throw in a neutral site game where you are guaranteed X amount of dollars, 4 OOC, or at least 3 for some conferences, it becomes almost a necessity to bring in the extra revenue.
Even for G5 schools, having the extra income from 4 OOC games is nice. IMO, we will have a much larger gate for an OOC game against Stanford, Georgia Tech, or UNC than we will for UConn, SMU, or Tulane.

I don't think you are going to find a lot of support for that idea coming from any AD's. Having those OOC games on campus is a big source of income. Say the average ticket price is $20, if they can draw 60,000 that would be $1.2 million. The gate from three home OOC games is going to cover a lot of costs. And if you throw in a neutral site game where you are guaranteed X amount of dollars, 4 OOC, or at least 3 for some conferences, it becomes almost a necessity to bring in the extra revenue.
Even for G5 schools, having the extra income from 4 OOC games is nice. IMO, we will have a much larger gate for an OOC game against Stanford, Georgia Tech, or UNC than we will for UConn, SMU, or Tulane.
Make up for it in playoff revenue.

I think 8 teams would be perfect. This would allow for late surging teams to have a chance. :sunglasses:
They are going to have to do it without the top teams playing 3 extra games.
I just don't see that happening. It will probably go to six somehow.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of teams surging late and stinking it up for weeks early in the season being the national champions or in the title game.

Penn State, USC, Florida State, or Michigan all could have had an argument this year for being in the playoff if it was expanded, just like TCU and Baylor in the past. Penn State had an argument this year with the 4 teams.

However, I just don't see any of those outliers deserving to ever be in the championship game or crowned National champions. It would take a fluke win which isn't fair to the teams kicking ass all year.

Reactions: GILL T
They are going to have to do it without the top teams playing 3 extra games.
I just don't see that happening. It will probably go to six somehow.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of teams surging late and stinking it up for weeks early in the season being the national champions or in the title game.

Penn State, USC, Florida State, or Michigan all could have had an argument this year for being in the playoff if it was expanded, just like TCU and Baylor in the past. Penn State had an argument this year with the 4 teams.

However, I just don't see any of those outliers deserving to ever be in the championship game or crowned National champions. It would take a fluke win which isn't fair to the teams kicking ass all year.
Clemson got smoked by Pitt. Who I think Penn St beat. Clemson shouldn't be in game then.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT