ADVERTISEMENT

College football playoff

Clemson got smoked by Pitt. Who I think Penn St beat. Clemson shouldn't be in game then.
No.. Penn State lost to Pitt AND Michigan destroyed them as bad or worse than what they did to UCF. It was 49-10.

The NCAA is going to have a hard time expanding these playoffs unless there is a legitimate reason to do so.

Top teams DO NOT WANT TO PLAY 3 GAMES and there hasn't been an outlier recently that truly and unequivacallly has been screwed over.

Last edited:
Clemson Coach Dabo Swinney makes a good case why Playoff expansion can be a drain on the players. I see that point of view and with the Finals/ Recruiting Calendar anything more than 6 would be really tough to do.

Clemson coach Dabo Swinney explains the challenge of making it back to the national title game: "It's been 34 years since Clemson got back and now we've been able to get back in back-to-back years, which is incredible. It's really hard to do. There's very few programs that can maintain that type of consistency. You've got to have a lot of things in place from a culture standpoint ... Nowadays you're having to win 14 games to get to this point, and it's just a lot that goes into it with health and injuries and the parity of college football ... It's competitive and tough to do."
Exactly! When does it end? 6? 8? 16?
I think ultimately we will see it stay at 4 or maybe 6 and that's it.

Big Ten Champ lost 38-0 in the "playoff" last year.

Heck, this year's Big Ten Champ lost to a Pac-12 team that didn't even win their division in yesterday's Rose Bowl.
Yes. This and USC got destroyed by Alabama. I mean it wasn't even a game. New QB or not, Alabama would destroy USC again almost as bad and Penn State too. Who wants to see that?

Yes. This and USC got destroyed by Alabama. I mean it wasn't even a game. New QB or not, Alabama would destroy USC again almost as bad and Penn State too. Who wants to see that?
You gotta give the kids a chance. I thought that's what college sports was all about.

JIZZBULL!!!! Showing his face!!! Thumping your chest in all your glory over the Birmingham (Aka Bluecocky) Bowl because you took a bottom dweller 6-7 SEC team to OT in your best season. Ranked so high because it was close. No
other reason. Mooooooo
229524265_d496861e12_z.jpg

No friends here or in the Cowspen!
No trophies! No life!

Last edited:
I don't think you are going to find a lot of support for that idea coming from any AD's. Having those OOC games on campus is a big source of income. Say the average ticket price is $20, if they can draw 60,000 that would be $1.2 million. The gate from three home OOC games is going to cover a lot of costs. And if you throw in a neutral site game where you are guaranteed X amount of dollars, 4 OOC, or at least 3 for some conferences, it becomes almost a necessity to bring in the extra revenue.
Even for G5 schools, having the extra income from 4 OOC games is nice. IMO, we will have a much larger gate for an OOC game against Stanford, Georgia Tech, or UNC than we will for UConn, SMU, or Tulane.

Make up for it in playoff revenue.

If we are talking about 2 home OOC games being eliminated, that would be $2.4 million x every member of the Power 5 (65 if you include Notre Dame). That would be around 150 million for 4 extra playoff games if you expand to an 8 team playoff. I don't see the TV networks shelling out that kind of money. What would be the impact on G5 schools? If you are Maryland, Georgia Tech, Stanford, UNC... etc, are you ever going to schedule an away game with a G5 school?

I used to be for 8 but then seasons like this happen where there is a big drop off and I'm not sure.

My favorite format is expand to 6, 5 auto bid, 1 at large, and Top 2 seeds get a bye. That first round games get played On Campus then they go to the 2 Bowls like its set up now.
Sounds like a really good format.

If we are talking about 2 home OOC games being eliminated, that would be $2.4 million x every member of the Power 5 (65 if you include Notre Dame). That would be around 150 million for 4 extra playoff games if you expand to an 8 team playoff. I don't see the TV networks shelling out that kind of money. What would be the impact on G5 schools? If you are Maryland, Georgia Tech, Stanford, UNC... etc, are you ever going to schedule an away game with a G5 school?
You wouldn't need to get rid of OOC games unless you expand to more than 8.

No they don't. Western Michigan went undefeated. No chance given.

Western Michigan had a great season for themselves but if you look at their schedule they had no business being in the CFP.

at Northwestern 22-21
North Carolina Central 70-21
at Illinois 34-10
Georgia Southern 49-31
at Central Michigan 49-10
Northern Illinois 45-30
at Akron 41-0
Eastern Michigan 45-31
at Ball St 52-20
at Kent St 37-21
Buffalo 38-0
Toledo 55-35
Ohio 29-23

Their signature win was at Northwestern, a team that finished 5th in the weaker West division of the B1G. Ohio St, Michigan, Wisconsin and Penn St would all roll through that schedule and I would bet big that Nebraska and Minnesota would have also. If they had a non conference slate that included one or two heavyweights then you could make an argument but beating Northwestern by one isn't exactly earth shattering. How many other power five teams would handle this schedule? How many in the AAC?

Getting to play in the CFP should not be an exercise in inclusion for the sake of inclusion.

Reactions: Mikesi
JIZZBULL!!!! Showing his face!!! Thumping your chest in all your glory over the Birmingham (Aka Bluecocky) Bowl because you took a bottom dweller 6-7 SEC team to OT in your best season. Ranked so high because it was close. No
other reason. Mooooooo
229524265_d496861e12_z.jpg

No friends here or in the Cowspen!
No trophies! No life!

The Heifers came very close to snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in that game.

Reactions: Mikesi
LOL at the pirate ship...

I almost forgot but the 'mythical' National Championship game is tonight. Kind of anticlimactic and rematch from last year. Boring. Just think if all those bowl games preceding it was a playoff structure. Tonight's game would still hold interest. (although I will watch, probably in bed sleeping at half, I can never stay up for Monday night games)....

LOL at the pirate ship...

I almost forgot but the 'mythical' National Championship game is tonight. Kind of anticlimactic and rematch from last year. Boring. Just think if all those bowl games preceding it was a playoff structure. Tonight's game would still hold interest. (although I will watch, probably in bed sleeping at half, I can never stay up for Monday night games)....

Why do you call it 'mythical'?

some weird resentment some of our fans have towards the system where they claim they won't watch games not involving UCF, this is way better than the BCS. Enjoy all the Football we have left to watch, a long offseason to complain about Conference Realignment

4 team playoff is a joke. Do you really think they picked the 4 best teams based on how they are playing at the end of the year? Sorry, I am still disturbed that Ohio State was picked, and didn't even win the conference. Note to the Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany send the conference champs. With that said; Let the delusion continue in this post. Clemson will beat Alabama by 10 points :sunglasses:
It's so appropriate at inauguration time: an Old South national championship between schools in impoverished states and in towns that 99% of Americans will never visit. Places which time forgot (except during football season).

Not a lot of stupid penalties by Clemson. That's coaching. We had way too many penalties to be successful at this point

I really see no reason to go beyond 4 teams. With 2 you can argue the 2 best don't get in, but that isn't the case with 4, you are arguing over who should be #4. The only reason to go to 8 is all P5 champs could get spot, plus G5 champ in and still have 2 at large for Best 2 which at times will be #1 and or 2 in the seeding.

I really see no reason to go beyond 4 teams. With 2 you can argue the 2 best don't get in, but that isn't the case with 4, you are arguing over who should be #4. The only reason to go to 8 is all P5 champs could get spot, plus G5 champ in and still have 2 at large for Best 2 which at times will be #1 and or 2 in the seeding.
I believe that a 6 team playoff covers all that's needed

#1 and #2 get a bye week

Reactions: Poolside Knight
It's not about money in college athletics....

CFBPlayoff Team's Finances

Clemson Revenue: $43,959,747 Expenses: $24,191,774
Alabama Revenue:$97,023,963 Expenses: $51,044,292

Bc there has never been a legit NC only MNCs.

So many reasons why. But here is one. Only 3% of FBS teams get into the playoffs now. If the NFL had the same system then some committee would choose ONE team to compete in the "playoff" after week 13.

Does that sound legit to you?

Reactions: SublimeKnight
Bc there has never been a legit NC only MNCs.

So many reasons why. But here is one. Only 3% of FBS teams get into the playoffs now. If the NFL had the same system then some committee would choose ONE team to compete in the "playoff" after week 13.

Does that sound legit to you?
This year they took a team that couldn't win their division over 7 other conference champions, because they knew better. The blocked kick returned for a TD that lead to Penn St beating Ohio State was a fluke and should be ignored.
I'm waiting for them to take the next step. If #1 loses to #4 in the "playoffs" on a blocked punt or odd play, will they advance #1? Why not, they're clearly the better team.
They've taken a non-subjective sport and in the interest of ratings and $$$ changed it into a subjective sport. At least gymnastics and synchronized swimming have rules for evaluation. The CF invitational has a panel of biased judges defining the criteria week to week to support the outcome that serves them best.

I'm not in favor of anything past 6 teams and the College Football postseason will always be imperfect bc of the inbalanced schedules with so many teams

But after the last 2 Title games I can't complain, all 3 Title games in the CFP have been pretty good

I'm not in favor of anything past 6 teams and the College Football postseason will always be imperfect bc of the inbalanced schedules with so many teams

But after the last 2 Title games I can't complain, all 3 Title games in the CFP have been pretty good
When was the last time a number 7 or 8 best team was even considered to win it all? Probably long ago or never.
6 teams is plenty.

You sound like a Bamer. The system isn't just imperfect it's fcuked up and illegitimate.

When was the last time a number 7 or 8 best team was even considered to win it all? Probably long ago or never.
6 teams is plenty.

I know you don't understand math so I'm not going to break it down, again, but considering the number of FBS teams vs NFL teams is like saying 7 or 8 best cfb team by record should have a chance at the NC just like 2nd best NFL team by record should have a chance in the playoffs.

Really, that's how dumb you sound - with Math speaking.

Last edited:
I know you don't understand math so I'm not going to break it down, again, but considering the number of FBS teams vs NFL teams is like saying 7 or 8 best recorded cfb team should have a chance at the NC just like 2nd best best record NFL team should have a chance in the playoffs.

Really, that's how dumb you sound - with Math speaking.
I took calculus 2 you fukcing loser,
so don't insult me about knowing math. By the way, You're such a dumb sh_t, because what you're talking about isn't even math. It's statistics and probability.

Go back to the JV board and make more stupid posts like this, because after reading it, it's not even literate and makes no sense.

Keep being insecure and tooting your own horn about how you were voted # 4 for your great posts.

I'm number 4!!!!
I'm number 4!!!!
I'm number 4!!!!!

Loser.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT