ADVERTISEMENT

College football playoff

You sound like a Bamer. The system isn't just imperfect it's fcuked up and illegitimate.
The system is good enough and needs a little tweaking. It was made to crown the best team and in most instances it has succeeded.

You don't seem to understand that college football teams aren't going to play 15-18 games in a year.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Let's have a three week tournament with 8 teams for the fans. Fair to me would be 6 or 7 from power 5 with all champions guaranteed and 1 or 2 champions from lower conferences based on highest rating. (Note: number 6 and possibly 7 from power 5 with highest rating.)

These college players are playing 2 or 3 years now before going to pros and playing a lot more games so they can handle more games. Also, college is closed for approx. 4 weeks during winter so players can focus on playoffs during this time and not hurt their class performance.

Fighting over how to integrate this with current bowls is biggest headache.

It's simple to solve: have 8 conferences of 16 teams each:
that's 128 schools (expel the school averaging 5,000 attendance.
Each conference has 2 divisions and a conference championship game.
Seasons revert to 11 games (from 12), and keep opportunities for bowl invitations.
The 8 conference champions enter an 3 game playoff system for the national championship.
No polls, committee selections, computer rankings enter the process at all.

Reactions: Guinness_Knight
Seasons revert to 11 games (from 12), and keep opportunities for bowl invitations.
The 8 conference champions enter an 3 game playoff system for the national championship.
I like it, but how do we guarantee that the schools with the largest national followings play in the majority of the playoff games?

I like it, but how do we guarantee that the schools with the largest national followings play in the majority of the playoff games?
OOC games would make no sense, so each team plays all 7 from its division and half the teams from the other division.
Schedule variability is achieved by moving entire divisions every 2 years (time to play every team in your conference).
Realign each division to include better and worse teams of recent years, so each division has similar overall strength
Traditional rivalries and geographic/time zones would of course be factored in to divisions.

OOC games would make no sense, so each team plays all 7 from its division and half the teams from the other division.
Schedule variability is achieved by moving entire divisions every 2 years (time to play every team in your conference).
Realign each division to include better and worse teams of recent years, so each division has similar overall strength
Traditional rivalries and geographic/time zones would of course be factored in to divisions.
I get all that, but for TV ratings how do we ensure Wake Forest and Tulsa aren't playing in a quarter final?

You sound like a Bamer. The system isn't just imperfect it's fcuked up and illegitimate.
Clemson had to play 15 games to win a National Championship. I don't see many agreeing to making teams play as many as 17 games with the level of physicality at the top level & a much more competitive Recruiting Calendar that isn't as much of a concern for the FCS and their Playoff.

Reactions: Mikesi
I get all that, but for TV ratings how do we ensure Wake Forest and Tulsa aren't playing in a quarter final?
Because they can't win their divisions, let alone their conferences. Wake Forest can now nor but Tulsa doesn't under the current system. With this, every school has a chance, but for most it's 1000-to-1 (just like in March Madness basketball!). My goal was to design the equivalent of basketball's anybody can win it all, but without increasing the number of games.

Why should or would any of the power five conferences just go ahead and give up what it has taken some, over 100 years to build? Your plan has no basis in reality.

Why should or would any of the power five conferences just go ahead and give up what it has taken some, over 100 years to build? Your plan has no basis in reality.
Basketball and baseball did.
I take back the 64 team talk....Too long.
Top 20. Four regions. 4 vs 5 in the 1st. Winner plays top seed. Or top 25. 24 vs 25 for last spot. Four regions. 3 vs 4 and 5 vs 6 in 1st. Faces 2nd and 1st seed after.

It's only a likely scenario is if Congress or antitrust law suit puts an end to this increasingly rigged charade. That judicial or political settlement would be prompted by the P5 continuing to push its luck by doing any of the things it has talked about:
  • break from the NCAA to form a separate elite athletic association
  • bar or limit the number of OOC opponent that P5 schools can play against G5 schools
  • extend its string of years without a G5 school in the national championship final four (or any schools even close)

It's funny that we all talk about an 8 or 16 team playoff, although more entertaining, It seems like almost always the best 2 teams end up playing each other and the best team wins the national championship game.
Isn't that what we all wanted and what it was made to do?
Mike might be my favorite poster but this is hilarious

Reactions: SublimeKnight

I think they said the same thing about "separate but equal". Just because it exists does not mean it is right. They will not give up without a fight. Right now UCF is leading the charge

This season was the first chink in the armor of the P5's story that they play at another level. Not just because of UCF beating Auburn, who beat both CFP teams, but HOW they were beat. The story is that it's a foregone conclusion that a P5 would crush a G5 in the playoffs because they would own the trenches. That is not at all what happened in the Peach Bowl.

My fear is that they will bide their time, waiting for a team like Hawaii a few years ago. A total finesse team with little defense, that wins all their games 55-46. When they get annihilated that will be the end of it.

Not to mention HS, pee-wee, NFL, Arena league... nba, nhl... tennis, poker... curling, archery

Somebody came up with a great idea. A playoff with the 5 P5 champs and best G5 champ. That way all of the championship games mean something and are like a first round to a playoff. This year's playoff would have looked like this:

1.) Clemson
2.) Oklahoma
3.) Georgia
4.) Ohio State
5.) USC
6.) UCF

First round at the high seed.

Somebody came up with a great idea. A playoff with the 5 P5 champs and best G5 champ. That way all of the championship games mean something and are like a first round to a playoff. This year's playoff would have looked like this:

1.) Clemson
2.) Oklahoma
3.) Georgia
4.) Ohio State
5.) USC
6.) UCF

OOC games becoming basically meaningless and more controversy for who gets the byes. no thanks

1.) Clemson
2.) Oklahoma
3.) Georgia
4.) Ohio State
5.) USC
6.) UCF

I think this is the best we can reasonably hope for. Although I think ND has too much pull to make this possible.

I don't like the idea that the "P5" get called out. If they are soooo much better, why not just say, "The top 6 conference champions by Sagarin"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT