ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Realignment Thread

20 years ago if you'd have been asked which of these conferences will collapse first -- the Big XII, B1G, Pac 12, the ACC, or the SEC? The Big XII would have been the runaway pick of most fans.

In fact, most would've said it would never happen to the other four.
it is kind of interesting to watch media and fans actually have empathy for Oregon State and Washington State but for years had so much hate towards UCF.

Gus has a massive opportunity…Big 12 is going to be a fun and tough League but there won’t be a clear recruiting and program ‘juggernaut’ like an Ohio State, Georgia, or Bama. TCU and Colorado will probably be the biggest recruiting/talent acquisition threats so he needs to coach and develop

it is kind of interesting to watch media and fans actually have empathy for Oregon State and Washington State but for years had so much hate towards UCF.

Gus has a massive opportunity…Big 12 is going to be a fun and tough League but there won’t be a clear recruiting and program ‘juggernaut’ like an Ohio State, Georgia, or Bama. TCU and Colorado will probably be the biggest recruiting/talent acquisition threats so he needs to coach and develop

Needs to be able to get the team to perform on the road. They have struggled a lot the last few years when leaving the state. The road game environment will be night and day compared to what they have dealt with the last few years, and then having to travel out West for conference games.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Needs to be able to get the team to perform on the road. They have struggled a lot the last few years when leaving the state. The road game environment will be night and day compared to what they have dealt with the last few years, and then having to travel out West for conference games.
I agree, it's not going to be easy and will take some adjustment.

Colorado doesn’t join for a year or so and I don’t see Deion being there in 5 years. They will go back to being irrelevant in a few years. Not worried about their recruiting in years to come.

We need to upgrade the indoor practice field so we can thin out the O2 levels to match that of the Rockies!🫨😮‍💨

• Haha
Reactions: Yaes
Also no disrespect to Kansas State..they have some of the best development and coaching in the country . UCF may bring in better ‘athletes’ on rating but then they will whip our ass on the field

Brett Yormark Reportedly Beat Out the ACC to Land More Pac-12 Schools​

OUCH. Know they're a great addition perception wise- which is the only reason- people have to realize Big 12 is only the 3rd best if brainless talking heads think it is, reality doesn't matter no matter how good Memphis is or how many times Tulsa wins or proves they're just as good as Ok, it's all about brainless perception. BUT, they get a full pay while we're still getting scraps. Hope I'm wrong, but from 1 article it will take 3 years till we get the full pay.

PS, not bad for a 'risky' commissioner-- ending PAC and probably ending ACC and building the best BB conference- wouldn't be great if we played? (yes just sarcasm)

Also no disrespect to Kansas State..they have some of the best development and coaching in the country . UCF may bring in better ‘athletes’ on rating but then they will whip our ass on the field
I sure hope not!

i'm still dumbfounded at how if we were to schedule a 1-1 in the future with stanford the roles will be reversed: power conference school playing non-power conference school.

• Wow
Reactions: Central Floridave
OUCH. Know they're a great addition perception wise- which is the only reason- people have to realize Big 12 is only the 3rd best if brainless talking heads think it is, reality doesn't matter no matter how good Memphis is or how many times Tulsa wins or proves they're just as good as Ok, it's all about brainless perception. BUT, they get a full pay while we're still getting scraps. Hope I'm wrong, but from 1 article it will take 3 years till we get the full pay.
Still, $18 million+ per year is a hell of a lot better than $8.8/year!

Reactions: 90Knight
i'm still dumbfounded at how if we were to schedule a 1-1 in the future with stanford the roles will be reversed: power conference school playing non-power conference school.
Screw them. Schedule them 3-1, first 3 games in Orlando. If they don’t like it, let them play the other 3 teams in their conference 4 times each and call it a season.

The P5 is transforming into the P2
Nah, the P designation died when Oklahoma and Texas went to the SEC and USC and UCLA went to the Big 10. SEC is just as much ahead of the Big 10 as the Big 10 is ahead of the Big 12. What we'll have is tiers. SEC is Tier 1, Big 10 is Tier 2, Big 12 seems like they're locking up tier 3, ACC is tier 4 right now until they lose Clemson and FSU then they're back with the rest of the rabble. I could easily see the playoff going from top 6 conference champions getting in to Top 4.

20 years ago if you'd have been asked which of these conferences will collapse first -- the Big XII, B1G, Pac 12, the ACC, or the SEC? The Big XII would have been the runaway pick of most fans.

In fact, most would've said it would never happen to the other four.
The funny thing though, is that the big 12 did basically collapse, the most significant programs, historically anyway, have either left, or are about to leave. The pac 12 collapsing has basically saved the big 12. Although in saying that, with so many different schools, it's basically a new conference.

Reactions: Rick and Yaes
I am kind of interested to see how this is going to play out over the next several years. Seeing one of the premier conferences basically collapse, and so many other schools moving around so much, makes me think college sports in general arent in a great place right now. And I am not sure making these super conferences is really going to help, but we will see how it plays out.

Until FSU and Clemson go to the Big 10 or SEC, then we're on the outside looking in again
Everything everyone is saying and the national perception is that the Big12 is the P3 now and FSU/Clemson have 1 foot out the door anyways, furthering that perception. I don't think the Big12 is on the outside looking in to anything, more like a seat at the big table, even if they don’t want us there.

I don’t understand the foregone conclusion on FSU breaking the GOR..they don’t have Texas money . the investment fund idea seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Reactions: Flstan
Everything everyone is saying and the national perception is that the Big12 is the P3 now and FSU/Clemson have 1 foot out the door anyways, furthering that perception. I don't think the Big12 is on the outside looking in to anything, more like a seat at the big table, even if they don’t want us there.

The Big 12 has lost its most important programs, and is basically taking the Pac 12 schools nobody else wanted. I am not saying it is a bad conference, and not saying it wont eventually be a really good conference, but nobody is going to look at it in the same regard as the Big 10 or SEC anytime soon.

Our spot in the Big12 is better than being in the AAC. One thing is for sure….we will figure it out!!! We figured out how to play in EVERY division of college football, arrived in “The Power 5” as the youngest institution in history and have 70,000 students!!! Let’s go win some BIg12 championships in some sports and see what 2030 media deal looks like!!! Charge the F On!!

The Big 12 has lost its most important programs, and is basically taking the Pac 12 schools nobody else wanted. I am not saying it is a bad conference, and not saying it wont eventually be a really good conference, but nobody is going to look at it in the same regard as the Big 10 or SEC anytime soon.
TCU beat the Big10 Champion in the CFP Semifinal

two richest conferences but it doesn’t mean the Big 12 can’t make noise . No matter what conference everyone is trying to break the Georgia, Bama, Ohio State cycle of talent dominance

The real game changer for us will be the basketball tournament payouts. Last year the BIG XII (7 teams) played 16 games in the tournament and the conference collected 32 million dollars. The AAC played 4 games (2 teams) and the conference collected 8 million.
💰 in the bank with 0 cost for UCF since we will have our feet up on the couch for a few years.

Reactions: Knight59
TCU beat the Big10 Champion in the CFP Semifinal

two richest conferences but it doesn’t mean the Big 12 can’t make noise . No matter what conference everyone is trying to break the Georgia, Bama, Ohio State cycle of talent dominance

But thats 1 game (and then they got humiliated in the title game). But yes, I am not saying the Big 12 is horrible and wont have some good teams. The perception, at least for a few years, I think is going to be that the Big 10 and SEC are the conferences every team wants to be in, and that every other conference is "lesser". And I am not even saying that is necessarily a fair assessment, but I think that is going to be the perception for a few years at least. I think the Big 12 will be good for UCF and Cinci (i do think it is a better conference than the AAC for sure) but I think the Pac 12 and even remaining original big 12 schools are going to be looked at as programs that that other schools were perfectly ok leaving behind while they set out for greener pastures.

This is why Yormark wants to build a basketball juggernaut. Lots of 💰💰 to be made if we send a lot of teams to the tournament. Each game played is worth around 2 million to the conference.

Nah, the P designation died when Oklahoma and Texas went to the SEC and USC and UCLA went to the Big 10. SEC is just as much ahead of the Big 10 as the Big 10 is ahead of the Big 12. What we'll have is tiers. SEC is Tier 1, Big 10 is Tier 2, Big 12 seems like they're locking up tier 3, ACC is tier 4 right now until they lose Clemson and FSU then they're back with the rest of the rabble. I could easily see the playoff going from top 6 conference champions getting in to Top 4.
We're moving towards a big money National Championship playoff with 40-ish programs. THAT is why the SEC took OU and Texas and the B1G took the four top Pac clubs.

The whole point behind the formation of superconferences in the first place was to have a playoff that wouldn't have be be shared with everybody.

Wow 🤦🏻‍♂️
I don’t blame any ASU fans for this moron. But just wow at the way he literally can’t let it go how he almost sank their athletics.

so apple had a star trek like presentation to impress this doofus (in regards to sports media consumption). he was a champion of larry scott's pac 12 network as well. so he's easily impressed.

I am kind of interested to see how this is going to play out over the next several years. Seeing one of the premier conferences basically collapse, and so many other schools moving around so much, makes me think college sports in general arent in a great place right now. And I am not sure making these super conferences is really going to help, but we will see how it plays out.
From what I know right now, I agree with you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cubs79
There is not a program in the B12 that wouldn't leave in a heartbeat if SEC/B10 came calling. The money disparity between those two conference and everyone else is going to grow exponentially over the years.

I think you are right. The Big 12 is going to desperately need a couple of teams to become consistent national title contenders, whether that be UCF, Utah, OK state, TCU, or whoever. If the playoffs just ends up being a SEC/Big 10 competition every year, then the other conferences are going to have trouble securing any sort of significant TV deals and recruiting is probably going to take a hit.

Reactions: 90Knight and Yaes
Some more movement may occur with ACC schools over the coming days/weeks/months…we might even grow and become stronger. Which will help in the short term and in 2030/2031 when we are back figuring out what we are worth in the marketplace. In the meantime let’s ENJOY where we are now in 2023 and the resources we are basking in for the next 8 years and see what we build and how the landscape looks. In the meantime let’s go settle shit on the fields/courts and see how we stack up and where it takes us. Charge On!!!! JWB!!!

Reactions: Knight59 and Yaes
But thats 1 game (and then they got humiliated in the title game). But yes, I am not saying the Big 12 is horrible and wont have some good teams. The perception, at least for a few years, I think is going to be that the Big 10 and SEC are the conferences every team wants to be in, and that every other conference is "lesser". And I am not even saying that is necessarily a fair assessment, but I think that is going to be the perception for a few years at least. I think the Big 12 will be good for UCF and Cinci (i do think it is a better conference than the AAC for sure) but I think the Pac 12 and even remaining original big 12 schools are going to be looked at as programs that that other schools were perfectly ok leaving behind while they set out for greener pastures.
Probably true re: fb until proven otherwise but guarantee the Big 2 don’t want to meet our new conference in March!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT