ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Realignment Thread

There is absolutely NO WAY that Stanford and Cal go AAC or MWC.

Zero. Zilch. That will likely have academic reproductions and they are academic institutions first

Actually, Cal and Stanford are now in discussions with the ACC Conference.

The population of California is 40 million (Bay area alone is ranked 6th by Nielsen) and that would be a nice footprint addition for the ACC/ACCN. Additionally the Pac 12 only had 2 California State Universities Cal and UCLA.

Cal and Stanford are great academic institutions and both are AAU members. They would fit in well with the other ACC member schools.

Surprised you guys were not aware of this.

Not saying it will happen but it is now being talked about.

ACC Presidents and AD are meeting Monday and Tuesday to discuss and Cal Board of Regents have a meeting scheduled today.

Cal Board has an article on this subject.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Reactions: Yaes
That won’t help ACC perception.
From Stanford and Cal’s perspective, it’s about being thrown a life preserver to keep from drowning. Their athletic programs need a conference — any conference with a TV contract — to survive.

Something tells me that if UCF were still in it, you’d be hailing the possibility.

Stanford biggest downfall seems like they don't have a good partner to join a conference and obviously is not a culture fit for some conferences. Stanford is way more attractive than Arizona St and Arizona.

Stanford regularly wins the most NCAA championships every year. Have a football team that finished in the top 10 for 5 years just a decade ago, and a basketball team that was a national power until Dawkins broke them.

Also has top 3 endowment in the country. In terms of money, academic success, and athletic success, pretty much no other school comes even close.

From Stanford and Cal’s perspective, it’s about being thrown a life preserver to keep from drowning. Their athletic programs need a conference — any conference with a TV contract — to survive.

Something tells me that if UCF were still in it, you’d be hailing the possibility.

Consider when the B1G took Rutgers, they did it because of their proximity to NYC and they went to the BIG at a reduced share.

California population of 40 million and Bay Area Nielsen ranking #6 is a huge footprint addition.

The entire state of California only had 2 state schools in the Pac 12 (Cal and UCLA).

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Stanford biggest downfall seems like they don't have a good partner to join a conference and obviously is not a culture fit for some conferences. Stanford is way more attractive than Arizona St and Arizona.

Stanford regularly wins the most NCAA championships every year. Have a football team that finished in the top 10 for 5 years just a decade ago, and a basketball team that was a national power until Dawkins broke them.

Also has top 3 endowment in the country. In terms of money, academic success, and athletic success, pretty much no other school comes even close.

Stanford football recruiting ranking this year is #28 so far with 8 Rival 4-star players.

Stanford and Cal's academics are great and that is another reason I would welcome them into the ACC as academic fits.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Actually, Cal and Stanford are now in discussions with the ACC Conference.

The population of California is 40 million (Bay area alone is ranked 6th by Nielsen) and that would be a nice footprint addition for the ACC/ACCN. Additionally the Pac 12 only had 2 California State Universities Cal and UCLA.

Cal and Stanford are great academic institutions and both are AAU members. They would fit in well with the other ACC member schools.

Surprised you guys were not aware of this.

Not saying it will happen but it is now being talked about.

ACC Presidents and AD are meeting Monday and Tuesday to discuss and Cal Board of Regents have a meeting scheduled today.

Cal Board has an article on this subject.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

I said AAC......

Read

UCF was never in ACC. But when FSU and Clemson leave , the conference will fall apart. Even if UCF was in it, we’d see we couldn’t save it. Stanford and Cal won’t either.

UCF was never in ACC. But when FSU and Clemson leave , the conference will fall apart. Even if UCF was in it, we’d see we couldn’t save it. Stanford and Cal won’t either.
I think he meant if UCF was still looking for a conference.

Reactions: DaShuckster
SMU is DESSSSSPERATTTTTTTE…I guess they got the money but still.

It’s actually looking the Cal, Stanford, and SMU could solve some of our money issues… for now.

- SMU is willing for forego any payments for 5+ years (~$40M/annually)
- Cal and Stanford each would take a reduced share of 60-70% ($24M-$32M) combined
- ESPN is willing to provide additional revenue for “existing members’ increased traveling costs” (N/A)

With those three in mind, that would net the conference an additional $64M-$72M to be distributed. Perhaps we set up some sort of performance-based system where the top X in the ACC standings share the money, and that isn’t even including the additional money from ESPN.

Then when you consider that the ACCN might bring in more revenue with auto-pickup carriage in California and Texas… we have a fighting chance all of a sudden. For schools like FSU and Clemson, they might be able to close that gap a little bit on the Big Ten and SEC.

It’s actually looking the Cal, Stanford, and SMU could solve some of our money issues… for now.

- SMU is willing for forego any payments for 5+ years (~$40M/annually)
- Cal and Stanford each would take a reduced share of 60-70% ($24M-$32M) combined
- ESPN is willing to provide additional revenue for “existing members’ increased traveling costs” (N/A)

With those three in mind, that would net the conference an additional $64M-$72M to be distributed. Perhaps we set up some sort of performance-based system where the top X in the ACC standings share the money, and that isn’t even including the additional money from ESPN.

Then when you consider that the ACCN might bring in more revenue with auto-pickup carriage in California and Texas… we have a fighting chance all of a sudden. For schools like FSU and Clemson, they might be able to close that gap a little bit on the Big Ten and SEC.
In this scenario, is this $64-72m supposed to be spread out to all members evenly or just to FSU/Clemson? If all members, that’s at best $5m. I don’t think that moves the needle and definitely won’t suffice FSU, who thinks they deserve more than everyone by driving the brand/eyeballs. I have no idea though, just my own thoughts.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
In this scenario, is this $64-72m supposed to be spread out to all members evenly or just to FSU/Clemson? If all members, that’s at best $5m. I don’t think that moves the needle and definitely won’t suffice FSU, who thinks they deserve more than everyone by driving the brand/eyeballs. I have no idea though, just my own thoughts.
Hypothetically, let’s say it just goes to the top 4-5 finishers in the ACC standings. That could net those teams $14-18M in additional revenue. Like I said, it doesn’t match the Big Ten/SEC, but maybe it pushes off our demise a little bit longer? The Big 12 can relate to our current pains… ‘just survive and advance.’ :)

Reactions: U C to the F
The quickest way to drive a wedge between conference members is to 'play favorites' when it comes to revenue distributions. One of the reasons why the B1G and the SEC are where they are is because they divide the revenue among members equally (minus the newbies.)

Once upon a time, the Big XII was The Power Conference but distrust between members and unequal revenue streams caused a number of its members to say, "screw this sh*t" and bail.

Reactions: Yaes
It'd be interesting if Yormark could negotiate to include "Organ" State, Wazu, Cal, Stanford joining Big 12 to get to 20, split 10 team East/West divisions, treat them like individual power conferences, each winner into the 12 team playoff (a stretch) + At Large.

When ACC crumbles, pick up 4 and realign East/West to 12 team divisions.

My old school regional preference/bias talking.

Reactions: 90Knight
It'd be interesting if Yormark could negotiate to include "Organ" State, Wazu, Cal, Stanford joining Big 12 to get to 20, split 10 team East/West divisions, treat them like individual power conferences, each winner into the 12 team playoff (a stretch) + At Large.

2/2
Any combo of:
-UNC/Duke/Wake fit for monster basketball conf.
-UNC/NC State for rivalry
-Love me some VT / WV hilljack bowl
-(Cough) Miami 🤢 ...give them a chance to compete with the 1 of the big 3 in UCF

I rather see us go after the ACC schools.

If the Pac-4 reloads with AAC/MWC teams that no one wants, to join the remaining teams from the PAC that no one wants…does not equal a power conference, just solidifies the best G5/6. It really makes no sense. Then there is the tv issue and all the buyouts.

Reactions: DaShuckster
i am not a smart. but AAC merging with PAC and keeping PAC name should not keep power status.

same time their champion should make a 12 team playoff. I believe to have a true champion all conference champions should make the playoff else it is not true decided on the field championship. its a claimed title like we have now. where preseason teams are excluded for perceived talent gaps and or conference affiliations to funnel $ to ESPN/FOX owned teams.

While there had been rumors that the Big 12 would continue to target Connecticut and Gonzaga as basketball-only schools, Yormark confirmed that won’t happen, either.

“Those conversations are no longer,” Yormark told The Marchand and Ourand Sports Media Podcast. “Unfortunately things didn’t work out only because the dream scenario (of adding Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State & Utah) unfolded for us.”

While there had been rumors that the Big 12 would continue to target Connecticut and Gonzaga as basketball-only schools, Yormark confirmed that won’t happen, either.

“Those conversations are no longer,” Yormark told The Marchand and Ourand Sports Media Podcast. “Unfortunately things didn’t work out only because the dream scenario (of adding Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State & Utah) unfolded for us.”
Thank Goodness for the Big XII that Yormark's 'dream scenario' unfolded because ANY scenario involving UConn and Gonzaga would've been dumb. Sorry, college basketball fans (apparently including Yormark) but NONE of this conference reshuffling involves your sport. ZERO NADDA!

Next move is wait for ACC to bust than aggressively pursue those schools that are fringe B1G / SEC candidates. I think Yormark is calculating which schools perceive themselves as 'possible' B1G / SEC candidates, but aren't 'certain', and will threaten the risk of being "left out" like the Pac remnants.

4 ACC to balance the East/West travel would be immaculate: por ejemplo: VT, NC State/UNC/Duke, UM (yuck).

Reactions: Yaes and 90Knight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT