ADVERTISEMENT

Craft Beer Trend Slowing

Its like any new product that becomes a hit, tons of people hop in the fray hoping to make a quick buck. Time goes on and the crappy ones die off, the good ones mostly stick around and we still have plenty of choices for something other than water-down over carbonated rice water.

Reactions: UCFan416
The small local places aren't the ones that are, or will be, hurting. People are flocking to these places still, and picking up fresh beer directly from the source in higher numbers. This is causing the brewers who expanded too quickly to see a loss in their sales. Smuttynose and Green Flash have already kicked the bucket. Not sure who will be next, but think of brewers who were small, haven't sold yet, and will be relying on the income from their expanded operations to pay for that expansion.

People are learning that, in most cases, the best beer is fresh beer. Go to your local places.

Reactions: UCFWayne
http://centralfloridaaletrail.com

Map-768x512.jpg

Is the Orlando area getting close to over saturation?

That actually doesn't seem to be that congested yet. The map spans a pretty huge area. Going from Sanford to Ocoee is at least an hour or more drive.

It's interesting that Oviedo doesn't have its own brewery.

A local new brewery has an agreement for the old brewery/restaurant spot at Oviedo Mall...but that place will fail too since it won't have an inside entrance to that almost dead mall now.

Reactions: UCFWayne
A local new brewery has an agreement for the old brewery/restaurant spot at Oviedo Mall...but that place will fail too since it won't have an inside entrance to that almost dead mall now.

if the mall is basically dead, I don't think the inside entrance or lack thereof will have any bearing on the success of the brewery. The brewery will survive on its own if it's good, well run and has good food options. It won't drive mall traffic, and mall traffic isn't enough to really sustain the brewery. They should sell that entire property and chop it up into separate pieces, and include a cool, big-ass park/outdoor space.

I'm surprised that mall is still around at all. It was really dead back when I lived in Oviedo in 2008/2009.

I'm going to leave this world without ever ordering a beer flight. Just thought I would put that out there.

Movie theater still does good business but it could be turned into an open air market place.

Not sure the "upstairs"theaters would survive but new ones would probably be built since that movie location does well.

The small local places aren't the ones that are, or will be, hurting. People are flocking to these places still, and picking up fresh beer directly from the source in higher numbers. This is causing the brewers who expanded too quickly to see a loss in their sales. Smuttynose and Green Flash have already kicked the bucket. Not sure who will be next, but think of brewers who were small, haven't sold yet, and will be relying on the income from their expanded operations to pay for that expansion.

People are learning that, in most cases, the best beer is fresh beer. Go to your local places.
Yeah. I think that niche will be profitable for a long time. Serve a little decent bar food and have a good atmosphere

I'm going to leave this world without ever ordering a beer flight. Just thought I would put that out there.

You are my new best friend if I'm ever standing behind you in line. People who buy flights at a busy place are a holes.

Lakeland just opened a new brewery, Swan. My band played there Tuesday and it was pretty packed. Hope it fares better than the (now closed) Lakeland Brewing.

Lol. 10 bucks for a four pack, no thanks. I spend stupid money on Miller Lite and crap beer, when they don't have good beer, at games, bars and restaurants but why do these people think their beer is worth so much more than macro brew? People will only want to pay thay much a few times. They can't keep charging 2-4 bucks a wholesale beer and expect to keep regular customers interested. The market is saturated with expensive beer that all tastes the same.
It's worth it to me because it tastes better. I can't drink Bud or anything like that anymore. The only mass produced stuff I can even stand are a Sam Adams or Blue Moon or maybe even a Yuengling when there's nothing else, but I don't drink beer to get drunk so I don't need to spend "stupid money" on beer. I drink it because I like what I'm drinking and will savor/sip it for a while. If I'm thirsty or want to drink large quantities of something, then I'm not having beer.

Flights are terrible. Most breweries are more than happy to give you a small taste (or even several if they're not busy) if you're really not sure, but if you know what kinds of beer you like, just buck up and order a glass. We went to a brewery and it was packed and a gaggle of ex-sorority girl types on a bachelorette bender all ordered flights. The bartender looked like he wanted to murder them.

Reactions: UCFan416
If bar managers thought flights were terrible, they'd take them off the menu. Lazy bar tenders are just wanting a quick buck off a single pour.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT