ADVERTISEMENT

Danny White on 96.9 this AM at 8:15

Knight_Light

GOL's Inner Circle
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Will be interesting since many national journalists who bashed him this week will be listening.

Thanks. I’m listening to it late. I’ll checkout the podcast later.

He’s a little aggravated and defensive

Reactions: LemmyKilmister
DW said he would do a 2-1 with UF at Spectrum. Just as we thought. Not at Camping World

He said that UF and Alabama would never come here, so he won’t call them and just “look stupid.”

Never heard such a tone with him too often

Pressure might be getting to him in regards to scheduling. It was back in May when it was pointed out how far behind the scheduling was in relation to peers. Since then the only change was FIU 1-1, while many other P6 schools have filled up even more spots.

The one thing I took from this interview...

He did mention early in the interview that there are a) a couple scheduling agreements on tap that "he's looking forward to announcing", but then as the interview went on he b) progressively sounded more and more deflated that he's had so much difficulty finding teams to play (on his terms).

He did all but confirm what Brandon tweeted a couple of days ago, an FCS team will be the fourth OOC game in '20 (sticking to the 2 P5, 1 non-P5, 1 FCS plan).

But I'm still wondering, which one is it? Are you set to announce a couple future agreements (like he prefaced earlier in the interview), or are you still struggling to find P5 partners?

Reactions: Ucfmikes
The one thing I took from this interview...

He did mention early in the interview that there are a) a couple scheduling agreements on tap that "he's looking forward to announcing", but then as the interview went on he b) progressively sounded more and more deflated that he's had so much difficulty finding teams to play (on his terms).

He did all but confirm what Brandon tweeted a couple of days ago, an FCS team will be the fourth OOC game in '20 (sticking to the 2 P5, 1 non-P5, 1 FCS plan).

But I'm still wondering, which one is it? Are you set to announce a couple future agreements (like he prefaced earlier in the interview), or are you still struggling to find P5 partners?
I would guess that we are going to get a Boise
or BYU abs one P5 that will be new to us and underwhelming Doubt anything super exciting from him tone.

Just guessing of course. We kind of exhausted the ACC

He also said he'd consider a 2for1 if the one is in Spectrum. First time I've heard that. I think that should tell our fans he's not being extreme in his stance.

Reactions: HammerB08
DW said he would do a 2-1 with UF at Spectrum. Just as we thought. Not at Camping World

He said that UF and Alabama would never come here, so he won’t call them and just “look stupid.”

Never heard such a tone with him too often
so he is not even giving them the chance to say No.....

I get not wanting to budge for UF as an In State but for Alabama you take the 1 at the Citrus Bowl.

As a season ticket holder, I can stand a year or two with only one P6 OOC match up but I can't understand Arkansas, TCU, etc. not wanting to fill an empty spot with us.

Regardless of how scheduling goes, DW has us on the national stage and on top of our conference in several sports. I'm pumped that rowing has won 5 conference titles in a row. Tennis and bb are killing it. I'll support DW to the end. I hope the big donors and others around him are empowering him to follow his own knowledge and instincts. I can't empower him but I'll donate what I can (and send good vibes).

What other AD can do what he's done? Charge on DW!

also people are now digging into our financials to see if the argument is in bad faith.

anyone have a link that proves UCF is actually making more than 1 mil a home game after expenses? I saw 2 links out there Nicholson and Orlando Sentinel that had it less than that and that we are using the Peach Bowl check to boost the average which could be misleading. Programs like Bama can pay out $1 Mil in a 1 and Done.

Reactions: Knight Strength
DW has a PhD, family pedigree, and is a wild real world success. Criticizing him over scheduling is like me having a partner whose family is rich, makes great money on their own, performs oral daily, cleans the house daily, massages my feet daily, cooks great daily...except they make a terrible lasagna. All for me (a 7/10). And our fans are going to criticize him and create animosity surrounding the issue of lasagna...while other programs (8-10/10s) are dying for a chance at him.

Lasagna (P5 scheduling) isn't going to turn an AAC SOS into a SEC SOS. So it won't get us into the CFI.

Have those concerned with scheduling seen Boise States schedule this year? Terrible! They have the best chance to take the NY6 spot, then Memphis. Wins count more than SOS for a program in our position. 2 P6 games/year is great. This is only an issue because we're famous right now. If we fall back down to earth in a few years, people are going to be telling Memphis they should go the UCF route (lol).

also people are now digging into our financials to see if the argument is in bad faith.

anyone have a link that proves UCF is actually making more than 1 mil a home game after expenses? I saw 2 links out there Nicholson and Orlando Sentinel that had it less than that and that we are using the Peach Bowl check to boost the average which could be misleading. Programs like Bama can pay out $1 Mil in a 1 and Done.
This is an important point.

Reactions: ahabmw
You think UCF would lose money in a kickoff classic type game Downtown vs Bama?
I do not know but the narrative about our finances leads me to believe so. I'd like to know more but I think DW already knows the answer. If it could be profitable and he's avoiding it, I'd assume he thinks it would damage our brand and negotiating power too much. Maybe the University is cutting athletics off. There's too much I don't know to give a definitive answer.

I do not know but the narrative about our finances leads me to believe so. I'd like to know more but I think DW already knows the answer. If it could be profitable and he's avoiding it, I'd assume he thinks it would damage our brand and negotiating power too much. Maybe the University is cutting athletics off. There's too much I don't know to give a definitive answer.
UCF-Duke at the Citrus Bowl is giving payouts in the $4 million dollar range....way more than what UCF would make playing Alabama at Spectrum

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article116228578.html

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2018/04/a_few_nuggets_from_alabama_dea.html

I was just going off of his quotes. He said 2 mil a game now and in near future 3 mil per.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
:sunglasses: u know I didn't mean Duke. a hypothetical UCF replacing Duke, cut 1 million off the payout and UCF is still making $3 Mil to play Bama in the Citrus Bowl in a kickoff classic type 1 and done
I would be happy with a kickoff classic type scenario but I don’t think a neutral site classic is equitable to the “home” game at the citrus bowl in a 2-1 scenario. The Duke/Bama scenario is essentially like a bowl game in terms of sponsorships and coverage.

As an aside, I’m curious what all the differences are playing at the citrus bowl versus our stadium...I’m guessing:
  • we get less $$ from tickets since we are splitting the pot with the away team and the Citrus folks
  • We don’t have as much freedom/control to bring recruits to the game
  • We don’t get concession revenue
  • No parking revenue
  • Don’t get to show off our campus as much on TV / to fans
  • Crowd noise during the game might be a toss-up. Not sure which stadium would be louder for ucf (prolly depends on opponent)
  • No post-tailgate campus cleanup costs
  • No/less? security costs
I would be really interested to see UCF’s internal files on estimated costs of Citrus v Spectrum.

2021 is looking particular difficult to fill, mind you I am not factoring in common dates available. Following P5 teams have open spots. UCF is scheduled to play @Louisville, so I am sure DW wants it to be at home.

TCU
FSU
GT - Playing UCF in 2020, and 2022
UF - Already playing @USF
Pitt
nw - 3 OOC, already 1 on road @Duke, they will want a home game.
TT - 3 OOC, already 1 on road @Houston, they will want a home game.

Boise State - Schedule full till 2025, where they start playing USF. Doubt they are interested in playing both school in the same years

BYU doesn't really become an option until 2024 or later.

Last edited:
2021 is looking particular difficult to fill, mind you I am not factoring in common dates available. Following P5 teams have open spots. UCF is scheduled to play @Louisville, so I am sure DW wants it to be at home.

TCU
FSU
GT - Playing UCF in 2020, and 2022
UF - Already playing @USF
Pitt
nw - 3 OOC, already 1 on road @Duke, they will want a home game.
TT - 3 OOC, already 1 on road @Houston, they will want a home game.

Boise State - Schedule full till 2025, where they start playing USF. Doubt they are interested in playing both school in the same years

BYU doesn't really become an option until 2024 or later.

USC it is.

A calculator (or spreadsheet like I created) is all you need to calculate approximately what revenue UCF
Generates from a home game.

The calculation I did for 2018 came to around $2 million per game...NOT including whatever percentage UCF Athletics receives from concession revenue.

A calculator (or spreadsheet like I created) is all you need to calculate approximately what revenue UCF
Generates from a home game.

The calculation I did for 2018 came to around $2 million per game...NOT including whatever percentage UCF Athletics receives from concession revenue.
Florida State nets $2.3 million on average per Home Game and you're saying UCF is almost equal to that with less suites and around 30K less seats? Something is not adding up

And this number for Florida State was before they began their recent slide and attendance dipped under Taggart
http://seminolepost.blog.palmbeachp...-million-each-for-playing-in-atlanta-in-2017/

Florida State nets $2.3 million on average per Home Game and you're saying UCF is almost equal to that with less suites and around 30K less seats? Something is not adding up

And this number for Florida State was before they began their recent slide and attendance dipped under Taggart
http://seminolepost.blog.palmbeachp...-million-each-for-playing-in-atlanta-in-2017/

I'll post more details later when I have time, but here are a few questions and comments about the Florida State number.

1. Keep in mind, the article is quoting a NET figure for Florida State, not a gross income figure like Danny White is talking about for UCF. Like a lot of the top tier schools, FSU probably pays rather large guarantees to FCS/G4 teams to come to Tally for payday games. Game guarantees are running $1 million on the low end and are getting very close to $2 million per game at times. So if the average guarantee FSU is paying is $1.5 million, that bumps your gross number up to a minimum of $3.8 million per game. Add in a few hundred thousand for gameday operational expenses and you are now over $4 million.

2. I am positive that DW is including the required donation for the sections requiring it into the UCF number, not just the ticket price by itself. I don't know how the FSU system is structured in regards to required donation for season tickets. Maybe they do not include that in their number.

I’m glad I’m not the AD. Some tough decisions to make and that’s why he’s making the big bucks

At the end of the day, he has a plan and a vision. A well thought out one I’m assuming. Hopefully in the end, he will look like the star he’s been up to now

If I was a a UCF football player, I would be playing angry and with a chip on my shoulder.
Wanting to blow out everyone and really put college football into chaos

Why? Because college football has blackballed this program for no good reason

It didn't sound like the series they've been working on will blow our minds. At this point I'd be happy if it's there's a home and home with any P5 announced or a H&H BYU/Boise St. series announced this offseason. Securing a decent OOC 2021 home game should be priority right now.

It didn't sound like the series they've been working on will blow our minds. At this point I'd be happy if it's there's a home and home with any P5 announced or a H&H BYU/Boise St. series announced this offseason. Securing a decent OOC 2021 home game should be priority right now.
Apparently, some posters have done the research and BYU/Boise St. are booked for a few years at least

Here is how I came up with the per game estimate for 2018. I took the number of seats in each section of the stadium and multiplied by the total cost (ticket price + required donation) and added it all up.

The actual number could be a couple hundred thousand either direction because I had to make a number of assumptions. A few examples include...

- Not all seats were sold as season tickets. Individual game tickets were usually sold at a higher price than the per game price for tickets in that section.
- The number (or percentage) of seats in certain sections sold at a discount plan (Young Alumni or Family Plan) could be higher or lower than my guess
- Some tickets (I don't know how many) are given to players for family/friends and therefore do not generate revenue.
- I don't know for sure how much the tower suites and field cabanas cost, but an going off of what I think I remember hearing in the past.

2018 Stadium configuration & prices:

Tower Club: 951 seats x $1,750 = $1,664,250

Loge Cabana Seats: 66 x $2,000 = $132,000

Stadium Club (Purple Upper Level): 1,331 x $1,050 = $1,397,550

Stadium Club (Purple Lower Level): 456 x $1,050 = $478,000

Stadium Club (Red Upper Level): 144 x $800 = $115,200

Stadium Club (Red Lower Level): 1,414 x $800 = $1,131,200

Black & Gold Cabana (Upper Level): 1,158 x $500 = $579,000

Black & Gold Cabana (Lower Level): 1,967 x $500 = $983,500

Grey Sections: 2,888 x $350 = $1,010,800

Dark Blue Sections: 4,741 x $250 = $1,185,250

Green Sections: 1,277 x $300 = $383,100

Green Sections (Young Alumni): 1,277 x $120 = $153,240

Light Blue Sections: 6,094 x $120 = $731,280

Light Blue Sections (Young Alumni Plan): 3,046 x $99 = $301,554

Yellow Sections: 4,848 x $99 = $479,952

Yellow Sections (Family Plan): 1,600 x $74.75 = $119,600

Field Cabanas: 17 x $12,000 = $204,000

Tower Suites: 20 x $120,000 = $2,400,000

2018 Season Total: $13,449,476

Per Game Average: $1,921,353

Bottom line there is no way UCF nets a profit at Spectrum almost equal to Florida State Home Games at Doak which has more suites and 30K+ more seats.

And the main point was the response that playing 1 OOC game at the Citrus Bowl vs a Big Brand is being spun that UCF would lose millions and that it's too much a cost to consider which has proven not true if you see all the payout numbers for these Sponsored games put on at the Citrus Bowl and Atlanta. The most likely numbers even with the most positive projections at Spectrum would be either close to equal or even UCF making more money to play 1 game there.

Also take into account that games like that are either on Labor Day weekend or the following weekend, a lot of students that live On Campus go out of town that weekend anyway(one of the reasons I think they always schedule the opener on Thursday regardless of T.V.). Dan Wolken is correct that UCF is in a perfect window to seek these games, a window that may not always be open if the Program reverts back to 8-9 win seasons.

Last edited:
And the main point was the response that playing 1 OOC game at the Citrus Bowl vs a Big Brand is being spun that UCF would lose millions and that it's too much a cost to consider which has proven not true if you see all the payout numbers for these Sponsored games put on at the Citrus Bowl and Atlanta. The most likely numbers even with the most positive projections at Spectrum would be either close to equal or even UCF making more money to play 1 game there.

Also take into account that games like that are either on Labor Day weekend or the following weekend, a lot of students that live On Campus go out of town that weekend anyway(one of the reasons I think they always schedule the opener on Thursday regardless of T.V.). Dan Wolken is correct that UCF is in a perfect window to seek these games, a window that may not always be open if the Program reverts back to 8-9 win seasons.
When has UCF turned down a kick off classic type game at the Citrus bowl?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT