ADVERTISEMENT

Gus Malzahn on Staff Changes

Yaes

Bronze Knight
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2017
I am sure many of you heard the press conference about Gus and his staff changes. So all the new coaches are people he has worked with before and most likely won't challenge him or bring any new ideas. Said he is going back to play calling so we are back to where we began. What the hell happed to being the Fopotball CEO and how important that was since "things are so different now with NIL and Portal?" That didn't last long and in my opinion doesn't bode well. Gus will never evolve, there will never be anything new. Don't expect to ever see young blood. We are stuck in the bast with a coach that isn't going anywhere and will never adapt or change. I will give him one thing he's got a lot of ego.

Agreed. This doesn’t pass the eye test. It looks unorganized, impulsive and regressive. To go from calling plays>>> to giving up play calling bc of X,Y,&Z issues that Gus and everyone knows about >>>>and now go he goes back to square 1 🙄

So alllllll of those issues are gone? Nope. Still here with a coach that won’t come to grips and grow the program effectively.

Reactions: CBlackwellRN
I am sure many of you heard the press conference about Gus and his staff changes. So all the new coaches are people he has worked with before and most likely won't challenge him or bring any new ideas. Said he is going back to play calling so we are back to where we began. What the hell happed to being the Fopotball CEO and how important that was since "things are so different now with NIL and Portal?" That didn't last long and in my opinion doesn't bode well. Gus will never evolve, there will never be anything new. Don't expect to ever see young blood. We are stuck in the bast with a coach that isn't going anywhere and will never adapt or change. I will give him one thing he's got a lot of ego.
Technically, Gus did give up play calling, kept UCF's best players with NIL, and landed some big fish out of the portal.

Gus officially returning as playcaller means the UCF offense is going to be so talented and so good that Gus himself cannot mess it up.

He doesn't need a "play-calling" offensive coordinator to insolate himself from the results on the field.

All and all, it is a great sign for UCF football and the signal to a special season in 2024.

Malzahn going into his fourth year with zero of idea of how to build the UCF football program…making changes all over the place. Four years and four different OC.

I give Gus Malzahn two more years until Mohajir is forced to fire him. TMO might not want to fire him but he will once the hype disappears and donations dry up.

Reactions: major.tom.foolery
Malzahn relives 2010 like college football fans reminisce about championships from 20 years ago. He's expecting the game hasn't changed since he had Cam Newton.

I'm sure if this season doesn't pan out there will be Malzahn and AL to explain how it was everyone else's fault except Malzahn.

Four years and four different OC.
Technically, Gus is retaining two of his OCs as Herb Hand and Darin Hinshaw return as Co-OCs. Tim Harris Jr., meanwhile, reprises his role as Co-OC from 2022. Chip Lindsay and GJ Kinne are the only OCs not returning.

Furthermore, UCF just finished fourth in rushing offense and eighth in the country in total offense with JRP at QB. Gus would be an idiot to can a coordinator after a year like that.
Mohajir is forced to fire him.
I laffed.

I'm sure if this season doesn't pan out there will be Malzahn and AL to explain how it was everyone else's fault except Malzahn.
challenge accepted training GIF

Malzahn relives 2010 like college football fans reminisce about championships from 20 years ago. He's expecting the game hasn't changed since he had Cam Newton.

it would turn into a belittling UCF convo ‘it’s too hard to win big here’(which is bs) if all these changes don’t work

hopefully it is more similar to the changes Harbaugh made a few years ago when Michigan was struggling

it would turn into a belittling UCF convo ‘it’s too hard to win big here’(which is bs) if all these changes don’t work
No. The leading narratives would be to blame the previous S&C coach (new guy can only do so much in Year 1); blame Ernie Sims' and/or Grant Heard's poor LB and WR recruiting; and/or blame the new Big 12/PAC-12 conglomerate (unfamiliar opponents).
hopefully it is more similar to the changes Harbaugh made a few years ago when Michigan was struggling
Let's hope.

No. The leading narratives would be to blame the previous S&C coach (new guy can only do so much in Year 1); blame Ernie Sims' and/or Grant Heard's poor LB and WR recruiting; and/or blame the new Big 12/PAC-12 conglomerate (unfamiliar opponents).

Let's hope.
I also hope but how are Gus's changes similar to Harbaugh's?

Reactions: AuburnLegacy_1
I also hope but how are Gus's changes similar to Harbaugh's?
There is no reason to think anyone on this staff will leave Gus for anything other than a head coaching position or fullfledged coordinator position.

Hinshaw and Kenny Martin are from Orlando or the surrounding areas.
Kenny Ingram and Herb Hand are longtime friends of Gus.
Addison Williams, Trovon Reed, Kam Martin and Brian Blackmon are Gus'ers 4 Life.
Harris Jr will never leave Gus again, either.
Ted Roof will likely retire at UCF.

For those wanting a Bobby Bowden type figure at UCF, you may have him. Gus is too good of a football coach to be fired for losing, and UCF is too strong of a football program to implode.

Reactions: Robert0122
There is no reason to think anyone on this staff will leave Gus for anything other than a head coaching position or fullfledged coordinator position.

Hinshaw and Kenny Martin are from Orlando or the surrounding areas.
Kenny Ingram and Herb Hand are longtime friends of Gus.
Addison Williams, Trovon Reed, Kam Martin and Brian Blackmon are Gus'ers 4 Life.
Harris Jr will never leave Gus again, either.
Ted Roof will likely retire at UCF.

For those wanting a Bobby Bowden type figure at UCF, you may have him. Gus is too good of a football coach to be fired for losing, and UCF is too strong of a football program to implode.
Too good of a football coach to be fired for losing? All football coaches who lose are eventually fired. Gus is lucky he's getting another couple of years (thanks to the AD) to start winning as he promised. Your head is even further up Gus' butt than even I thought.

Too good of a football coach to be fired for losing? All football coaches who lose are eventually fired. Gus is lucky he's getting another couple of years (thanks to the AD) to start winning as he promised. Your head is even further up Gus' butt than even I thought.
UCF typically only fires head coaches after losing seasons or scandals. The likelihood of either of those two scenarios are slim. Gus has had one losing season and has never had a hint of scandal.

UCF typically only fires head coaches after losing seasons or scandals. The likelihood of either of those two scenarios are slim. Gus has had one losing season and has never had a hint of scandal.
Where did you get that? UCF held on to GOL after multiple losing seasons. To quote GOL after his first year when he went 0-12. "Well I can't do worse than that. If I ever go 0-12 again, I should be fired." In 2010 he was rumored to be retiring when we got into the Big East/AAC but when UCF went to and won the Fiesta Bowl, he stayed another 2 years even though, he wanted to retire. His final year, he was more of an AD (because UCF didn't have an AD at the time). When the football team was at 0-8 or 0-9, he resigned when we hired Danny White. He probably would have been fired even though his overall record was great as he was Conference Champion 2 of the last 3 years at that time. But he felt he needed to retire. GOL with two 0-12 seasons still finished with a win rate above 50%.

Prior to that, Coach Kruczek was our Coach in 2003. He was terminated after a number of players were found cheating, not attending class, etc. The NCAA came down hard and to avoid a serious penalty the school parted ways with him. The old Auburn Coach was really mad because we didn't hire him to be our Head Coach when we picked up GOL instead. Prior to Coach K, we had Gene McDowell who didn't know how to use a cell phone and texted a recruit which was a serious recruiting violation and multiple coaches lost their jobs in the 90s because of that type of behavior. But McDowell is the reason UCF kept the football program. He kept it alive when the school didn't want to spend any more money on the program. Prior to McDowell, you're looking at coaches from the mid-80s and the football program started in 1979.

UCF has been lucky in that we've had several long term coaches that have shaped the team and the culture. McDowell and O'Leary both left behind a legacy at the school. In recent memory, the only reason coaches leave UCF is to go to a bigger program. See Frost and Heupel. The majority of the UCF student body was born when GOL became the UCF Football coach or were 7-10 when they saw him win the Fiesta Bowl and were possibly 10-13 when he retired coaching.

Where did you get that? UCF held on to GOL after multiple losing seasons. To quote GOL after his first year when he went 0-12. "Well I can't do worse than that. If I ever go 0-12 again, I should be fired." In 2010 he was rumored to be retiring when we got into the Big East/AAC but when UCF went to and won the Fiesta Bowl, he stayed another 2 years even though, he wanted to retire. His final year, he was more of an AD (because UCF didn't have an AD at the time). When the football team was at 0-8 or 0-9, he resigned when we hired Danny White. He probably would have been fired even though his overall record was great as he was Conference Champion 2 of the last 3 years at that time. But he felt he needed to retire. GOL with two 0-12 seasons still finished with a win rate above 50%.

Prior to that, Coach Kruczek was our Coach in 2003. He was terminated after a number of players were found cheating, not attending class, etc. The NCAA came down hard and to avoid a serious penalty the school parted ways with him. The old Auburn Coach was really mad because we didn't hire him to be our Head Coach when we picked up GOL instead. Prior to Coach K, we had Gene McDowell who didn't know how to use a cell phone and texted a recruit which was a serious recruiting violation and multiple coaches lost their jobs in the 90s because of that type of behavior. But McDowell is the reason UCF kept the football program. He kept it alive when the school didn't want to spend any more money on the program. Prior to McDowell, you're looking at coaches from the mid-80s and the football program started in 1979.

UCF has been lucky in that we've had several long term coaches that have shaped the team and the culture. McDowell and O'Leary both left behind a legacy at the school. In recent memory, the only reason coaches leave UCF is to go to a bigger program. See Frost and Heupel. The majority of the UCF student body was born when GOL became the UCF Football coach or were 7-10 when they saw him win the Fiesta Bowl and were possibly 10-13 when he retired coaching.
I agree with literally everything you just wrote.

Gus is unlikely to have another losing season in his coaching career.

Gus is unlikely to experience a hint of scandal.

Gus is unlikely to leave UCF for any other job.

Given those three factors, the likelihood is Gus will remain at UCF for as long as he wants.

UCF football will be average for the foreseeable future. Gus isn’t going to suddenly create a passing offense or give up the wild at and trick plays.

The Softball team should be pretty good, even playing in the Big12. We have an amazing coach for softball.

Reactions: Yaes
I agree with literally everything you just wrote.

Gus is unlikely to have another losing season in his coaching career.

Gus is unlikely to experience a hint of scandal.

Gus is unlikely to leave UCF for any other job.

Given those three factors, the likelihood is Gus will remain at UCF for as long as he wants.
If the program remains stagnant for two more years Gus Malzahn will be fired.

In Big 12 Media days:

Gus was asked about new offensive coordinator Darin Hinshaw.

"He's already done a great job with John Rhys Plumlee as far as development and mechanics, and trying to push the ball down the field. We were a top 20 offense in the country, but yards per completion was low. We're gonna push the ball down the field. He's one of the all-time greats at UCF. He loves it and is a super person."

And Hinshaw will call plays.

"This is really the first time it was all my decision and I was not getting encouraged. We're in a new age of college football. The demands of NIL, fundraising, the transfer portal. Making quick decisions on recruits. I don't know how, moving forward, guys can do it. It's really challenging right now."

John Rhys Plumlee was obviously a dynamic player for UCF. It was mentioned how important it will be to keep him healthy.

"He can't be our leading rusher. We ran him too much. But we've got to keep in mind that he didn't play quarterback for a year and a half before last year. He was learning as we were playing games. If he hadn't gotten hurt, we'd have finished really well. He's night and day from last year. When we've had a chance to play for a championship and a national championship, we've had quarterbacks with his skill set. I feel really good about where he's at."

What about the defense?

"Our defensive front, we feel really good. That's what it's all about. Putting more pressure on the quarterback. That's our emphasis. Addison Williams is our new DC. He was with me at Auburn. We think we'll be much improved on the defensive side this year."

If the program remains stagnant for two more years Gus Malzahn will be fired.
Thirty-five years of UCF football history suggests otherwise, but the opinion of a delusional Miami fan holds more weight than three and half decades of personnel decisions.

In Big 12 Media days:

Gus was asked about new offensive coordinator Darin Hinshaw.

"He's already done a great job with John Rhys Plumlee as far as development and mechanics, and trying to push the ball down the field. We were a top 20 offense in the country, but yards per completion was low. We're gonna push the ball down the field. He's one of the all-time greats at UCF. He loves it and is a super person."
All true.
And Hinshaw will call plays.

"This is really the first time it was all my decision and I was not getting encouraged. We're in a new age of college football. The demands of NIL, fundraising, the transfer portal. Making quick decisions on recruits. I don't know how, moving forward, guys can do it. It's really challenging right now."
All true at one point or another.
John Rhys Plumlee was obviously a dynamic player for UCF. It was mentioned how important it will be to keep him healthy.

"He can't be our leading rusher. We ran him too much. But we've got to keep in mind that he didn't play quarterback for a year and a half before last year. He was learning as we were playing games. If he hadn't gotten hurt, we'd have finished really well. He's night and day from last year. When we've had a chance to play for a championship and a national championship, we've had quarterbacks with his skill set. I feel really good about where he's at."
All true. I can't recall a game where JRP finished as the leading rusher in 2023.
What about the defense?

"Our defensive front, we feel really good. That's what it's all about. Putting more pressure on the quarterback. That's our emphasis. Addison Williams is our new DC. He was with me at Auburn. We think we'll be much improved on the defensive side this year."
All true, provided you round up a half truth to a whole.

UCF is still high on its defensive line. The Knights took on one defensive lineman in the portal. The DL definitely projects to be the strength of the UCF defense (same as 2021). Linebacker depth, however, left a lot to be desired in 2023. Addison Williams was technically UCF's new DC, even if in name only.

Honestly cannot say I saw a "much improved" defense aside from a slight increase in turnovers.

Last edited:
So we are back to high school offensive play calling. Yaaay:(
Malzahn playbook:
Designed QB run
RB up the middle
RB bounce outside
RB toss option/pass
WR screen
WR in motion: end-around run
Bubble screen
Thrown 50/50 Deep jump ball

He had 1 pass play for 1st and Goal inside the 10 yard line :
WR middle crossing route

Basic, Predictable, Boring and most of all Uncreative. Once teams make an adjustment at halftime, our offense is stalled.

Malzahn playbook:
Designed QB run
RB up the middle
RB bounce outside
RB toss option/pass
WR screen
WR in motion: end-around run
Bubble screen
Thrown 50/50 Deep jump ball

He had 1 pass play for 1st and Goal inside the 10 yard line :
WR middle crossing route

Basic, Predictable, Boring and most of all Uncreative. Once teams make an adjustment at halftime, our offense is stalled.
I am going to go out on a limb and predict those "basic," "predictable," "boring," "uncreative" plays will tend to work a lot better with an offense that returns 78.9% of its rushing production, 55.6% of its receiving productivity, four letter-winning offensive linemen, and adds a trigger man who was a three-year starting SEC quarterback.

But what do I know?

Reactions: UCFhonors
I am going to go out on a limb and predict those "basic," "predictable," "boring," "uncreative" plays will tend to work a lot better with an offense that returns 78.9% of its rushing production, 55.6% of its receiving productivity, four letter-winning offensive linemen, and adds a trigger man who was a three-year starting SEC quarterback.

But what do I know?
When Malzahn retires will you cease watching football? Since it seems to be the only thing about the game that interests you.

But what do I know?
Boy, you just opened yourself up for some funny feedback.

Reactions: LoboCane

But what do I know?
Besides supporting a mediocre coach, not much. Your hero gave us a losing record and as I mentioned that offense stalled after halftime week in and week out. Ask yourself why? See above and you’ll remember why. Plus the fact, Gus won’t adjust…same 6 plays as the defense adjusts and shuts it down. When was the last time his offense came from behind to win a game ??

Agreed. This doesn’t pass the eye test. It looks unorganized, impulsive and regressive. To go from calling plays>>> to giving up play calling bc of X,Y,&Z issues that Gus and everyone knows about >>>>and now go he goes back to square 1 🙄

So alllllll of those issues are gone? Nope. Still here with a coach that won’t come to grips and grow the program effectively.

You have to go to practices to develop your eye before you can test your eye.

Do step one during Spring Camp and get back to us.

#UCFacts

:cool:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT