ADVERTISEMENT

DC

All gold everything.
I hear that's why the current equipment manager got fired. He didn't realize you need to mix in some flat black to make the glitter gold stand out. Fired on the spot. Frost is currently in negotiations with Katy Perry's assistant costume designer. Will be the highest paid position on the staff.

Some article stated it was going to be the LB coach from Oregon. I think Brandon also said the new WR coach will most likely be the OC. Oregon plays TCU Sat so hopefully coaches get hired and titles get cleared up soon. I would imagine it would help with recruiting to have a set staff.

FYI - TCU's QB was arrested. Oregon must be licking their chops..

Bowl games are done. Are we sure we want any Defensive coach from Oregon after that 2nd half implosion and triple OT loss to TCU?

After Oregon’s 47-41 triple-overtime loss to TCU on Saturday at the Alamo Bowl, an angry social media mob would like the embattled defensive coordinator to pack up his office at the Hatfield-Dowlin Complex.

ri

It takes a team effort to allow the largest comeback in bowl history, but Pellum is a convenient scapegoat after a historically bad season for Oregon’s defense, which allowed a school record 488 points.

“We didn’t finish,” was Pellum’s familiar refrain after the meltdown in the Alamodome. “We just didn’t make a play. At the end of the day, all the points and all that, we needed to make one play. Bottom line. We weren’t able to do it.”
http://registerguard.com/rg/sports/...eir-wounds-after-blowing-a-31-0-lead.html.csp

from article above: "Former Oregon offensive coordinator Scott Frost attended the Alamo Bowl. The new Central Florida coach might consider taking some of Helfrich’s staff with him to Orlando, including outside linebackers coach Erik Chinander."

I don't like it. I wanted a guy with tons of experience, a big name of sorts. I'm disappointed.
Like Breshnahan? On defense you can recruit some studs, play soundly, tackle well and blitz occasionally, you'll be fine.

Reactions: UCFhonors
So a move to a 3-4 defense with lots of exotic blitz packages to get after QBs seems likely. Lots of change coming in just one year.

some Duck fans Chinander talk, he was a good recruiter for them

http://oregon.247sports.com/Board/45/Contents/Helfrich-Demotes-Pellum-42549410

I love this quote from a Duck fan about Pellum getting demoted..."Now....let's go out and find a hungry bad-ass who's just been itching to implement his nasty scheme at one of college football's most cutting edge programs! Let's find ourselves a savage, ruthless tactician who knows how to balance fire, technique and can recruit."

Seems like every college seeks the same thing

Why not? They score. We score. Repeat.
That's my thinking too. You build a team that is conditioned to run marathons. Light, quick, offensive lineman. The more they're on the field, the more it wears on a traditional defensive line. So to accomplish that, you have a high risk, high reward defense. Let them get their yards down the field while you try to create turnovers, then try to hold them to FGs. You hope to trade TDs for FGs or TDs for turnovers.

That's my thinking too. You build a team that is conditioned to run marathons. Light, quick, offensive lineman. The more they're on the field, the more it wears on a traditional defensive line. So to accomplish that, you have a high risk, high reward defense. Let them get their yards down the field while you try to create turnovers, then try to hold them to FGs. You hope to trade TDs for FGs or TDs for turnovers.

Plus if you get into shootouts while hopefully putting a ton of points on the board early you will force other teams to abandon the run late in games and become one dimensional -- that's when you turn the dogs loose on the opposing QB. Must find pass rushers ASAP.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
I love this quote from a Duck fan about Pellum getting demoted..."Now....let's go out and find a hungry bad-ass who's just been itching to implement his nasty scheme at one of college football's most cutting edge programs! Let's find ourselves a savage, ruthless tactician who knows how to balance fire, technique and can recruit."

Seems like every college seeks the same thing

Sounds like we may have got him.

Hire of DC was not a surprise but it will be interesting to see how he implements the 3-4 package.

In today's world of fast offenses we need the LB level to be flexible!

For example: two stud inside LBs with at least one of them able to move to line for pass rushing and
two hybrid outside LBs with strength to stop the run and speed to cover like a DB.

Note: This would give us 4 lineman from time-to-time as needed along with 6 cover backs for our
secondary without having to run in substitutions all the time.

Plus if you get into shootouts while hopefully putting a ton of points on the board early you will force other teams to abandon the run late in games and become one dimensional -- that's when you turn the dogs loose on the opposing QB. Must find pass rushers ASAP.
yeah we now have an Offense first Head Coach, the days of Defense ball control are done. The goal is probably to have at least an average Defense but a very good offense every year

The late, great Bill Walsh believed that a pass rush late in the game was a key to winning. He ranked pass rusher behind only QB in building a roster.

Reactions: Boston.Knight
Teams that give the QB all day long get hammered which is another reason why we stunk last season.

Should make for a nice afternoon. Hopefully the beer lines are short so I don't miss anything.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Like Breshnahan? On defense you can recruit some studs, play soundly, tackle well and blitz occasionally, you'll be fine.

Haha. Right....

I think you're right about big risks and big reward. That's exactly what we are doing with these young coaches and AD. It just makes me nervous. I'm risk adverse.

At least the young coaches should take advantage of the weight room and look like footballers :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT