ADVERTISEMENT

desperate move using plumlee

I now understand Malzahn bringing in plumlee before he was ready. When an offense can't score the defense shuts down. Not saying this is the problem in a nut shell, just that Malzahn knows Timmy is not the answer. This will be a rough season.
If they determined Timmy is not the answer then they shouldn't had let Mikey go. Gus has to have his dual threat QB with no exceptions. There maybe more behind the Gabriel transfers, and why He sat out the rest of the year.

If they determined Timmy is not the answer then they shouldn't had let Mikey go. Gus has to have his dual threat QB with no exceptions. There maybe more behind the Gabriel transfers, and why He sat out the rest of the year.
Why did they let Castellanos go?

I do think Keene and Castellanos felt they wouldn't get the support Plumlee gets from staff. I bet the same thing is happening to McClain. Malzahn wants Plumlee to succeed more so than getting any other QB in position to succeed.

Just stop. We put up over 30+ on both KSU and Baylor. Timmy is not the problem.
TImmy is certainly not the answer, and reality probably is Castellanos wouldn't be either--- I was really hoping he was. The HC is probably the problem, keeping inept QBs.

Reactions: Yaes
TImmy is certainly not the answer, and reality probably is Castellanos wouldn't be either--- I was really hoping he was. The HC is probably the problem, keeping inept QBs.
Timmy could be the answer. Any good system lets young QBs make quick reads and get the ball out. Timmy doesn’t have that. Gus has a horrible passing attack. It’s years behind the best teams in the NCAA. His running schemes are fine, but he craps the bed if he can’t run against an average defense.

Reactions: ucffan642 and Yaes
I now understand Malzahn bringing in plumlee before he was ready. When an offense can't score the defense shuts down. Not saying this is the problem in a nut shell, just that Malzahn knows Timmy is not the answer. This will be a rough season.
If McClain is not the answer, then Plumlee is even less so.

Plumlee could be UCF's Julian Edelman but he'd rather be a very mediocre Tim Tebow.

Why would you put in an injured running QB who's major talent is running when he obviously can't run. Why waste 2 to 3 series of downs on a running QB wearing a brace who isn't that accurate a passer. Did Gus really think the opposition would think JRP was going to run? How many reps did they waste on JRP in practice? How many reps did Q get in practice trying to get JRP ready to play? What do think is the real attitude and mood of the locker room?

Why did they let Castellanos go?

I do think Keene and Castellanos felt they wouldn't get the support Plumlee gets from staff. I bet the same thing is happening to McClain. Malzahn wants Plumlee to succeed more so than getting any other QB in position to succeed.
I think it is worse than that. I think they were told in no uncertain terms that they did not have a future here at UCF.

Last edited:
I'm thinking gus may have a few cards missing? Ah 3 more years of this? Unless we get talent....yes

Just stop. We put up over 30+ on both KSU and Baylor. Timmy is not the problem.
Timmy can get points on the board. Against Kansas, it was back and forth between JRP and Timmy. If that doesn't kill your confidence, I don't know what does. We start an injured QB and swap back and forth in Q1 and then get upset when QB2 doesn't have rhythm until Q3. The problem I see is the OL is struggling against very large DL. Our secondary is getting gassed, our DL is struggling to stop every B12 OL we've played. Our OL has some talent, our DL has some talent. However, it isn't producing the expected results - I don't know if it is the coach or we just need to hit the weight room more. Our entire Offense is struggling because of penalties - every big play we had vs Baylor and Kansas was taken back due to penalty. These were HUGE momentum killers for the team. Same goes for Defense - there were multiple penalties against Baylor and KState where the momentum was killed and they scored because of a costly penalty on defense.

I believe in this team - I had us pegged this year to experience a learning curve. I expected to go 7-6 for the year. I'm expecting us to win the remaining home games to keep that alive, however even that will be tough.

If we fail to make a bowl game, that Baylor game will turn out to be a real back-breaker :(

Listening to the 365 Sports guy piss, moan and trash Baylor really has me kicking myself. Or at least kicking UCF!

That seems like just a bad decision by Gus and the medical staff to let Plumlee play but that at least gets him to being in 3 games...he needs to get in 2 more.

This is crazy. Timmy has played in 4 games. Yes, he looks like a kid playing ball at the college level for the first time (even though he has a full year under is belt 2 seasons ago...at a piss-poor program). He runs backwards, he runs out of bounds. Both his picks were poor decisions. All things almost all young QBs do. With time, and teaching, he'll overcome that. What's his ceiling? Don't know unless he plays. Not saying he's Montana and I'm not saying don't go out and recruit several QBs from the portal but he's doing fine for what he is.

Here's his stats after 4 games:
63.9% completion %; 1008 yards; 9TDs; 2 Ints; 102 yds rushing with 1 TD.

The Baylor loss wasn't on him.

Last edited:
I wasn't a huge Mikey fan, back looking back, Damn we should have kept his and tried pocket passing (he wasn't a scrambler) as you all know.

If we fail to make a bowl game, that Baylor game will turn out to be a real back-breaker :(

Listening to the 365 Sports guy piss, moan and trash Baylor really has me kicking myself. Or at least kicking UCF!
Baylor in their 3 other P5 games, 2 tds total. Vs. UCF 3tds in 1 quarter.

I don’t think our size issue on lines has anything to do with the weight room. But why don’t we recruit bigger guys? I don’t really get how size is that big of a difference. We’ve had transfers. Do they shrink when they get here? Did Lee grow when he left?

• Haha
Reactions: PositYourself
Malzahn can’t keep QBs healthy. Dude got DG injured due to bone head play calling. It’s not a secret that Gus Malzahn’s play calling, inflexible offensive schemes and archaic coaching philosophy caused DG to leave UCF.

Reactions: ucffan642
Malzahn can’t keep QBs healthy. Dude got DG injured due to bone head play calling. It’s not a secret that Gus Malzahn’s play calling, inflexible offensive schemes and archaic coaching philosophy caused DG to leave UCF.
Yeah. He led the greatest comeback in school history against Boise State and decided the offense wasn't for him.

DG was not standing in pocket.

2:22

OK, you're technically correct, not "standing" in the pocket but in the pocket, a second time, tackled while attempting an illegal forward pass (the second of the play) to a lineman, in desperation on the last play of the game.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't what Gus drew up, so no, I don't think his injury is on Gus.

Malzon was trying to make him into a JRP type.
DG played 3 games for Gus. In the Louisville game he rushed 10 times. He rushed more than that (11 and 12 times) in four games in 2020 under Huepel.

In the other two Gus games he rushed 2 (BCU) and 12 (Boise) times.

I don't know why DG left. Maybe he unjustly blamed Gus for the injury or maybe he just thought he was better than a lowly G5 (but he wasn't too good to take our sock money).

DG played 3 games for Gus. In the Louisville game he rushed 10 times. He rushed more than that (11 and 12 times) in four games in 2020 under Huepel.

In the other two Gus games he rushed 2 (BCU) and 12 (Boise) times.

I don't know why DG left. Maybe he unjustly blamed Gus for the injury or maybe he just thought he was better than a lowly G5 (but he wasn't too good to take our sock money).
He got paid to go to a blue blood, start for a top 5 team, and improve his NFL chances.

This doesn’t happen here. Hell, he was phenomenal in 2020 but we still lost games due to poor defense.

Here's his stats after 4 games:
63.9% completion %; 1008 yards; 9TDs; 2 Ints; 102 yds rushing with 1 TD.

The Baylor loss wasn't on him.
It was partially on him. he went full deer in the headlights in the 4th quarter. That said plenty others played big roles in that disaster.

He got hurt standing in the pocket as time expired. It was hardly the play calling in his case.
Malzahn can’t get/keep good QB’s because of his “run first” offensive scheme. Offense is basic, uncreative and predictable. If a QB wants to eventually play in the NFL, Gus’ offensive showcase won’t help them get noticed.

Something I haven't heard talked about much is what effect starting JRP against Kansas had on the locker room.

We keep hearing how popular TMC is in the locker room, and he played pretty well in his 3 starts. Gus says he doesn't think a player should lose his starting job due to injury, which is why he proclaimed JRP the starter no matter what. But JRP still wasn't healthy when he started the Kansas game -- and if it was obvious to everyone watching, then you know the team had doubts. Gus's loyalty to JRP caused Keene and Castellanos to leave (it was at least a factor), and now here he is refusing to give another QB a fair shake just to get JRP back on the field, to his own detriment.

Gus's post-game press conference had a very interesting exchange on this topic. Gus rarely gets flustered or annoyed in his press conferences. He just agrees with everything the reporters say and gets out of there. But after the Kansas game, a reporter asked him if he started JRP because he lacked confidence in Timmy. Gus snapped back "why would you say that? what do you base that on?" The question struck a nerve, because Gus knew he didn't have a good reason for starting a less than 100% JRP other than "JRP is our starter". And it backfired BADLY on national TV, not only for the team but for JRP himself, who reportedly got "scared" when his knee popped.

There's simply no way this didn't have a negative effect on the locker room at Kansas. It was the first time this team looked like they weren't ready to play.

Something I haven't heard talked about much is what effect starting JRP against Kansas had on the locker room.

We keep hearing how popular TMC is in the locker room, and he played pretty well in his 3 starts. Gus says he doesn't think a player should lose his starting job due to injury, which is why he proclaimed JRP the starter no matter what. But JRP still wasn't healthy when he started the Kansas game -- and if it was obvious to everyone watching, then you know the team had doubts. Gus's loyalty to JRP caused Keene and Castellanos to leave (it was at least a factor), and now here he is refusing to give another QB a fair shake just to get JRP back on the field, to his own detriment.

Gus's post-game press conference had a very interesting exchange on this topic. Gus rarely gets flustered or annoyed in his press conferences. He just agrees with everything the reporters say and gets out of there. But after the Kansas game, a reporter asked him if he started JRP because he lacked confidence in Timmy. Gus snapped back "why would you say that? what do you base that on?" The question struck a nerve, because Gus knew he didn't have a good reason for starting a less than 100% JRP other than "JRP is our starter". And it backfired BADLY on national TV, not only for the team but for JRP himself, who reportedly got "scared" when his knee popped.

There's simply no way this didn't have a negative effect on the locker room at Kansas. It was the first time this team looked like they weren't ready to play.
This is at least the 3rd or 4th time we tried to start a known injured plumlee

Thought he wanted to play for Lebby and that’s why he left? Certainly helped it was OU but I think Lebby was the main factor 🤷🏻‍♂️
DG was about 8 hours away from being a UCLA Bruin, posted a room full of LA stuff and was literally on their campus before flipping last minute to OU. people forget how ridiculous the process was for him

I think he visited Ole Miss but Lane wanted to consider other QBs too and probably didn’t guarantee him the starting job. Then Venebles hires Lebby where they tried to convince Caleb Williams to stay..once he confirmed he was transferring to SC that is when slime ball Lebby called DG at UCLA to flip him last minute

I said this in the other JRP Injury thread that Gus has ruined two straight seasons with his love affair with JRP. He couldn’t stay healthy w an AAC schedule yet he doubled down on sticking w him instead of looking within to Tommy, considering Keene, or being serious looking for another QB in the portal.

Yes the defense has been bad but it has to effect the locker room. Everything about him screams ‘privilege’ and I am certain some players in the locker room feel that way.

It feels like Gus and UCF cared more about fulfilling his 8 year old dream to play baseball and QB while serious football programs told him to get out of the QB room.

2:22

OK, you're technically correct, not "standing" in the pocket but in the pocket, a second time, tackled while attempting an illegal forward pass (the second of the play) to a lineman, in desperation on the last play of the game.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't what Gus drew up, so no, I don't think his injury is on Gus.
No the second pass was not part of play. But if you throw it that short on a last second play, you have to keep lateraling the ball until you have an opening. DG was following the ball. Not sure if that was planned or was his doing. You have to throw long in that instance and hope for a catch or PI. Not the lateral fest.

It wasn’t desperate, it was dumb. Plumlee’s legs are the only thing of value that he brings and everyone knew he was not even close to 100% so it was a terrible decision to start him. Wasted the first 3-4 drives and by that time (with our defense crapping the bed) the game was already over.

Timmy is still not seeing the field and making good decisions. We had PLENTY of opportunities and he missed a lot of them. Underthrowing open receivers on deep balls, scrambling too early with receivers open, waiting too long to decide to throw and throwing late with little chance of success, scrambling backward rather than just throwing the ball away early. He doesn't account for everything bad right now, but to ignore it and say it's playcalling or Gus sucks is ignorant. A lot of the issues on offense have to do with this young man's play, plain and simple. He's showing shades of early KZ, and early KZ was erratic af.

All that said I 1000% agree Plumlee should not have seen the field outside of an emergency situation. Should have rolled with Timmy off the rip and tried to get him a groove with a first-drive script to give him some confidence. As erratic as he's been, they've been able to put points on the board. The running game actually did well...again. We need better QB play.

Reactions: Wings0fred
It wasn’t desperate, it was dumb. Plumlee’s legs are the only thing of value that he brings and everyone knew he was not even close to 100% so it was a terrible decision to start him. Wasted the first 3-4 drives and by that time (with our defense crapping the bed) the game was already over.
You got that right!

Timmy is still not seeing the field and making good decisions. We had PLENTY of opportunities and he missed a lot of them. Underthrowing open receivers on deep balls, scrambling too early with receivers open, waiting too long to decide to throw and throwing late with little chance of success, scrambling backward rather than just throwing the ball away early. He doesn't account for everything bad right now, but to ignore it and say it's playcalling or Gus sucks is ignorant. A lot of the issues on offense have to do with this young man's play, plain and simple. He's showing shades of early KZ, and early KZ was erratic af.

All that said I 1000% agree Plumlee should not have seen the field outside of an emergency situation. Should have rolled with Timmy off the rip and tried to get him a groove with a first-drive script to give him some confidence. As erratic as he's been, they've been able to put points on the board. The running game actually did well...again. We need better QB play.
Agree with much of what you say, but this season, as in past, coaching and Gus's playcalling and failure to properly utilize the talent he has, have often been an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: ucffan642
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT