ADVERTISEMENT

desperate move using plumlee

Agree with much of what you say, but this season, as in one's past, coaching and Gus's playcalling and failure to properly utilize the talent he has, have often been an issue.
UCF went from having WRs being nfl quality every few years to them rarely getting separation.

It isn’t just talent , it is Gus’s route trees

failure to properly utilize the talent he has,
Agree. You have to create a system with what you have. That's why we pay these genius coaches millions of dollars. Anyone can wait around for Tom Brady to show up and say until then, "well, we just didn't execute."

The "we are primarily going to run the ball no matter the opponent" comment really bugs me. Maybe there's something I don't get, but it sounds to me like he was just broadcasting his inflexibility.

I often hear about the genius of Gus but I've failed to hear it put into language I can understand. He wrote a book on go-fast. OK. We don't go fast and haven't since Huepel. What else is genius? Help me understand the game better. If it's some nuanced thing then fine, but tell me why so many of our top players leave then.

I just don't get it.

UCF went from having WRs being nfl quality every few years to them rarely getting separation.

It isn’t just talent , it is Gus’s route trees
There are many poorly thrown balls where our receivers are open and have to make unbelievable plays to make what should be an easy catch. How many times have we seen Baker open, but forced to slow down or even stop, and highpoint over the DB due to an underthrown ball? Or how about this past weekend when Baker was running free, and because QB2 can't put any air under it and throws a laser, and now Baker has to make a SportsCenter top-10 catch to pull it off? That has nothing to do with route trees and everything to do with the throw.

In terms of talent, Baker, Hudson, and Townsend are more than serviceable and I think Pittman has a lot of potential as well. Those three are the reason why a lot of the younger guys are not getting on the field, they're actually pretty good. And I don't think anyone is going to say that JRP or Timmy are close to KZ, DG, or BB. I believe at least one of those three will end up playing in the League.

We have the skill positions save for maybe a bigger power back but I'm hoping Mcdonald pans out because he has size and speed. For all intents and purposes, we actually ran the ball pretty well against Kansas, even though the score most definitely does not show it.

Btw, I don't like the back-to-back silly play calls, they frustrate the crap out of me. Especially when they almost always seem to come at the wrong moments. But the tape will tell you if we had better QB2 execution we'd be in a much better place offensively. And that is saying something when we're already pretty damn productive as it is.

Where I will unequivocally say the coaches have got to demand better is the penalties. The false starts have to stop, that is some bullsh!t right there.

Reactions: Yaes and Wings0fred
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT