ADVERTISEMENT

DG took away UCF mentions from his social media

UCF Athletics since January

giphy.gif

This is what happens when players and fans decide to make a hire through social media. Never a good idea.

Malzhan or any coach not Lebby must just be itching to come on campus now. It's just like the Sterk incident and Schiano at Tenn. In the end no one wins when players/fans feel like they have the right to choose the hires.

This is what happens when players and fans decide to make a hire through social media. Never a good idea.

Malzhan or any coach not Lebby must just be itching to come on campus now. It's just like the Sterk incident and Schiano at Tenn. In the end no one wins when players/fans feel like they have the right to choose the hires.
Word. Let the AD do what AD’s do. It’s on their shoulders. Our job is to be fans.

Well, we're about to find out if our new AD and coach are any good. DG is obviously priority #1 and a big voice in the program. Hopefuly, they'll do more listening than dictating.

Reactions: nickeyds
I am one of the biggest DG homers out there but only accepting 1 HC candidate isn't being very reasonable.
and Lebby has a contract as Ole Miss, to just expect that he would just get up and leave for UCF at a whim is unrealistic.

Last edited:
I appreciate all that DG has done for UCF (even though that has been less than NY6 bowl worthy) with the Albatross known as Heupel hanging from his neck. However, players don’t choose coaches, ADs do. I would hope DG would “stay in his own lane” and let others do what they were hired to do. Hopefully the next coach will still be here and wildly successful long after DG is gone. Maybe we’re able to find out if DG is all about DG or UCF.

Last edited:
Reactions: knightraveler
I don't think GM will be a bad hire here, Don't feel like it is a Home Run either. At least he is a Offense guy with a lot of experience. As for DG the inmates shouldn't run the nut house.

Reactions: Finance2000Knight
GM is a great hire! This is a team that lost to Tulsa TWO YEARS IN A ROW. The players have to prove it on the field before calling the shots here. Gus would be a great hire at a ton of P5 schools heck that is an upgrade at FSU. He's proven. I love Lebby too but Gus comes with a ton of experience and also has a lot of connections when it comes to assistance coaches.

I appreciate all that DG has done for UCF (even though that has been less than NY6 bowl worthy) with the Albatross known as Heupel hanging from his neck. However, players don’t choose coaches, ADs do. I would hope DG would “stay in his own lane” and let others do what they were hired to do. Hopefully the next coach will still be here and wildly successful long after DG is gone. Maybe we’re able to find out if DG is all about DG or UCF.
They do pick their coach though. Not for a school but for themselves. He has every right to transfer if he doesn’t like a coach.

GM is a great hire! This is a team that lost to Tulsa TWO YEARS IN A ROW. The players have to prove it on the field before calling the shots here. Gus would be a great hire at a ton of P5 schools heck that is an upgrade at FSU. He's proven. I love Lebby too but Gus comes with a ton of experience and also has a lot of connections when it comes to assistance coaches.

Where is he "proven"? He's been fired from 50% of the college HC jobs he's had. This is a bad hire. New AD has just killed all the momentum we built over the last decade. Someone else said it best...the giant is going back to sleep now.

Reactions: Yaes
Where is he "proven"? He's been fired from 50% of the college HC jobs he's had. This is a bad hire. New AD has just killed all the momentum we built over the last decade. Someone else said it best...the giant is going back to sleep now.

He's won the SEC west and been to the BCS national championship game. Who are you getting more proven?

If hired, everyone needs to give GM a chance. He is a very respected name and recruits might like this. Also, if he is successful and stays for 5 seasons or so that would offer stability to our currently volatile program. I know George O'leary wasn't exciting but he moved the program in the right direction. GM might do the same if he is committed to the program. I guess that is the key, is he committed to making UCF the monster of a program we all know it can grow into?

Let’s say Lebby was your top choice. Let’s say theoretically (we will never know) the BoT didn’t approve. Who’s your second choice? If that is how things played out, Gus is a good choice for such a late hire. He’s been around the block and will be able to put together a last minute staff much better than a coordinator will. Supporting staff is just as important as the head coach. I already graded Gus as a good coach but not some elite coach. Let’s just hope like with Frost and Heupel, that UCF can “make him”.

Gus will be a good coach. Must suck to make the national championship and SEC championship game. Plus he has to deal with Saban all those years. Stop being spoiled. We will be fine.

Wow. Totally misleading. No context. He’s only had 2 head coaching gigs. One, he was only there one year and bailed to take the Auburn job. Then 8 years at that job. It’s not like he has run Auburn into the ground in 3 years and they were running him out of town. Most coaches don’t last that long at any head coaching gig anymore, especially one where you are competing against Bama and LSU every year.

That has been the theme for the last year with this team. Everyone is out looking for themselves first.
Milton was and is a special type of player. He has the characteristics of a great leader. The teams he led were about the team and what it could accomplish because that is how he acted. Not all kids that age can do that. Our team to me was missing that the last year.

Milton was and is a special type of player. He has the characteristics of a great leader. The teams he led were about the team and what it could accomplish because that is how he acted. Not all kids that age can do that. Our team to me was missing that the last year.

Something Gabriel hasn't shown, and this is not exactly a good sign of leadership here.

Reactions: ucfcracker and Yaes
I am one of the biggest DG homers out there but only accepting 1 HC candidate isn't being very reasonable.

No doubt about it but trust DG will come around. If they treat him with respect and listen to his concerns he'll be cool and realize GM's offense can be a good thing for him.

Reactions: Knight Strength
He's won the SEC west and been to the BCS national championship game. Who are you getting more proven?

By that metric isn't Huepel proven? He's won the AAC and been to a NY6 game. We see how that worked out. It's almost like guys like Gus and Huepel are nothing without a once in a generation QB.

Let’s say Lebby was your top choice. Let’s say theoretically (we will never know) the BoT didn’t approve. Who’s your second choice? If that is how things played out, Gus is a good choice for such a late hire. He’s been around the block and will be able to put together a last minute staff much better than a coordinator will. Supporting staff is just as important as the head coach. I already graded Gus as a good coach but not some elite coach. Let’s just hope like with Frost and Heupel, that UCF can “make him”.

Lebby is high on my list but also unproven, so totally get why AD would look elsewhere. I think someone like the CC coach would be considered proven. Built them up and is on the ascent of his career. Gus is on the decent. UCF is an up and coming University, not a blue blood play it safe school like Michigan.

Lebby is high on my list but also unproven, so totally get why AD would look elsewhere. I think someone like the CC coach would be considered proven. Built them up and is on the ascent of his career. Gus is on the decent. UCF is an up and coming University, not a blue blood play it safe school like Michigan.

Remember when Frost went to Nebraska? Remember the hype in Nebraska was? that didn't work out. Give the guy a chance before you start bashing him. Maybe he can beat Tulsa.

CC coach has had ncaa issues.

There is no ultimatum. If he doesn’t like the hire he can hit the portal I guess. There are other talented QBs that will be itching for their opportunity to play currently sitting behind him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT