ADVERTISEMENT

Disappointed

That's not how it works. It's not instantaneous. The recruiting of a player takes a year or more. By the time we hit 12-0, most players had already made their decisions or even signed on the early signing day.

We keep rehashing this in thread after thread. Everyone's "disappointment" is baseless. If we have a bad class NEXT year, then you can say something, but 13-0 THIS year was all but meaningless in recruiting ESPECIALLY after the entire staff that got us to 12-0/13-0 left.

Average rating is higher than either Frost class and one of the highest UCF has ever had. UCF only had 20 slots to fill due to up to 6 transfers being eligible for 2018 (which aren't factored into the class rating). That is why their cumulative score is lower than those schools that signed more.

Losing a head coach is always tough for recruiting, particularly when the coach was so highly regarded. Fair or not, much of the success was attributed to frost so losing him hurt perception. If JH can get 9 or 10 wins next year then the 2019 class should be a good one.

Frost leaving really sucks. Still. Most disappointing undefeated season ever.

I think it was the JH replacement. Can anybody think of a more physically unattractive hire that didn't have prior head coaching experience? These days, you are suppose to look the part or become more unattractive the longer that you are the head coach. Sorry, maybe I'm being a bit shallow.

Average rating is higher than either Frost class and one of the highest UCF has ever had. UCF only had 20 slots to fill due to up to 6 transfers being eligible for 2018 (which aren't factored into the class rating). That is why their cumulative score is lower than those schools that signed more.

Didn't we have a few transfer out though? The RB, backup QB just to name 2. That's two spots that we could've filled. Not saying I'm disappointed in the class but saying we kept spots open for transfers makes no sense since you usually lose just as many as you bring in. I think we did really good with PWO's, anybody know if any previous ones got a scholarship for next year that might be more a reason why the class was small?

I think it was the JH replacement. Can anybody think of a more physically unattractive hire that didn't have prior head coaching experience? These days, you are suppose to look the part or become more unattractive the longer that you are the head coach. Sorry, maybe I'm being a bit shallow.

Jack-off thinking about Frost much? At least your keyboard is less sticky now.

Reactions: KnightHammer
Didn't we have a few transfer out though? The RB, backup QB just to name 2. That's two spots that we could've filled. Not saying I'm disappointed in the class but saying we kept spots open for transfers makes no sense since you usually lose just as many as you bring in. I think we did really good with PWO's, anybody know if any previous ones got a scholarship for next year that might be more a reason why the class was small?

I think that you can still only bring in 25/class even if you lose a bunch of players due to transfers. Dumb rule.

Shallow. Probably, but you’re not wrong. Even Marc Daniels has talked about there is a certain “look” people expect in their head coach and if you don’t meet it the populace masses use it against you. It is what it is.

I think that you can still only bring in 25/class even if you lose a bunch of players due to transfers. Dumb rule.
and 85 total on scholarship. Frost brought in a class of 24 last year, plus 5 transfers. Can't have that every year and maintain the 85 even with a couple transfers. There are also not alot of outgoing seniors this year. If you want to average 21 per class on scholarship you need to balance 24 classes with the 19s. I don't think Heupel wanted to reach and give a scholarship this year with all the talent we have returning when he could use that scholarship in 2019 for a better talent that he can recruit all year rather than settling for what he could get at the last minute in 2018.

I dont know...we could be in good company

KIRBY%20SMART%20PRESSER%20WAGABCEME01_1.mpg_12.08.15.25_1513623978600.png_4703450_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

BretBielema.jpg

Exactly, our third highest composite score in the last 15 years! All thing considered that is remarkable....

Thank God somebody said this.....I have been thinking this since he was announced. For some reason I look at him and think he has one of those faces you just want to punch. Is it possible for me to want him to go undefeated, but then punch him right after?!?!?! I am soo confused.

Reactions: NU_FTW
Frost and Taggart recruited better in shorter time windows in this Conference. Comparing recruiting off a 13-0 vs coming off 0-12 when UCF was a laughingstock is not identical situations. Anything else is just home board spin.

Look at offer lists. Frost pulled an Under Armour All American Wide Receiver who James Franklin at Penn State wanted bad in his 1st cycle. That's when I knew Frost was going to be a good recruiter and coach. My first impression of Heup and Shannon recruiting is not good, especially Shannon who already has the ties in this State for a long time. One of the top defensive recruits that they are celebrating the only real competition was UCONN...

From what I've heard the effort will be there from Heup and Lebby to hopefully improve quick on the trail but my concern is Randy Shannon & Corey Bell. They may be using lazy tactics that they can get away with when you a selling an SEC Program but not a hungry up and comer like UCF. That's why former Assistants Ryan Held and Walters were perfect fits at UCF. They had energy and passion and it showed getting guys like Marlon Williams who was once a Southern Cal commit. If the next cycle is filled with a bunch of guys with short offer lists that is a bad sign.

hard to believe he's 4 years younger than Frost

Reactions: NU_FTW
Frost and Taggart recruited better in shorter time windows in this Conference. Comparing recruiting off a 13-0 vs coming off 0-12 when UCF was a laughingstock is not identical situations. Anything else is just home board spin.

Look at offer lists. Frost pulled an Under Armour All American Wide Receiver who James Franklin at Penn State wanted bad in his 1st cycle. That's when I knew Frost was going to be a good recruiter and coach. My first impression of Heup and Shannon recruiting is not good, especially Shannon who already has the ties in this State for a long time. One of the top defensive recruits that they are celebrating the only real competition was UCONN...

From what I've heard the effort will be there from Heup and Lebby to hopefully improve quick on the trail but my concern is Randy Shannon & Corey Bell. They may be using lazy tactics that they can get away with when you a selling an SEC Program but not a hungry up and comer like UCF. That's why former Assistants Ryan Held and Walters were perfect fits at UCF. They had energy and passion and it showed getting guys like Marlon Williams who was once a Southern Cal commit. If the next cycle is filled with a bunch of guys with short offer lists that is a bad sign.
Yes, inheriting a blank slate program where recruits can come in and play immediately is a completely different situation than inheriting an undefeated team where 80% of the starters are locked in.

Shallow. Probably, but you’re not wrong. Even Marc Daniels has talked about there is a certain “look” people expect in their head coach and if you don’t meet it the populace masses use it against you. It is what it is.
If we "look" like we have at least 10 wins next year and at least play for the conference title, kids won't care what the coach looks like. The results on the field (and in the classroom) are all that matters. Success usually breeds more success.

Yes, inheriting a blank slate program where recruits can come in and play immediately is a completely different situation than inheriting an undefeated team where 80% of the starters are locked in.
I don't believe if that there was more interest that there would be more takes on the offense side regardless of returning starters. And I know the board is sensitive when Frost is brought up but I think some are undervaluing how good a job he did. It wasn't as simple as 'hey come play right away', he was fighting a lot of negative recruiting. UCF was a punchline meme a few months earlier(beat somebody sign at the USF game, etc)

Some of the points in your post may be valid but not so sure I agree with your logic.....have you looked at the offer lists for Milton, Killins, Anderson, Hamilton, Davis?

IMO just as important to find the diamonds in the rough with significant upside potential that others have overlooked....

Reactions: Poolside Knight
If we "look" like we have at least 10 wins next year and at least play for the conference title, kids won't care what the coach looks like. The results on the field (and in the classroom) are all that matters. Success usually breeds more success.
True. Once JH gets 10-12 wins, it won't matter.

Some of the points in your post may be valid but not so sure I agree with your logic.....have you looked at the offer lists for Milton, Killins, Anderson, Hamilton, Davis?

IMO just as important to find the diamonds in the rough with significant upside potential that others have overlooked....
lol I think I need a break from arguing recruiting but Killins had Iowa State and Syracuse wanting him. Hamilton once had a commitable offer from Miami that was pulled later in the cycle(same as Bentavious), Gabe Davis had an offer from Florida State & Anderson I think had a few Pac12 offers.

Reactions: JAFFX2
lol I think I need a break from arguing recruiting but Killins had Iowa State and Syracuse wanting him. Hamilton once had a commitable offer from Miami that was pulled later in the cycle(same as Bentavious), Gabe Davis had an offer from Florida State & Anderson I think had a few Pac12 offers.

True but not very long lists with lots of FIU FAU type schools

Reactions: Poolside Knight
I’m attending games he’s going to coach. I’m not banging him. I rather the coach who eats a lot of donuts, is nerdy and drinks a ton of coffee.

Reactions: muckdawg24
I give zero F's what my coach looks like. I only care about a coaches W's .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT