ADVERTISEMENT

Disappointed

Bill Bellichick. Lol.
img_0663-1.jpg

don't bring NFL coaches into the debate. They coach in a salary cap where they draft players, not the other way around

That's not how it works. It's not instantaneous. The recruiting of a player takes a year or more. By the time we hit 12-0, most players had already made their decisions or even signed on the early signing day.

We keep rehashing this in thread after thread. Everyone's "disappointment" is baseless. If we have a bad class NEXT year, then you can say something, but 13-0 THIS year was all but meaningless in recruiting ESPECIALLY after the entire staff that got us to 12-0/13-0 left.
I agree about it taking a couple of years to see the results. I can't remember which big recruit we had a couple of years ago who was big on UCF because he has been a fan since the Fiesta bowl.

I was actually pretty happy with the class. I think both lines have been neglected for years in recruiting. We have great skill players returning. Also Defense wins championships.

Reactions: 90Knight
People who are disappointed aren't familiar with recruiting at the G5 level. UCF isn't going to have classes in the 40s and aren't going to have classes in the 50s in years where they can only sign 20 kids max. UCF led the AAC in average recruit ranking in 2017. This year their average is even higher but is 2nd in the conference. Can't really control Cincy having a monster class. It's really all just off season chatter at this point until we see the product on the field. Bottom line is this class rating is consistent with the class ratings that got us to 13-0 if not better. Now lets see them perform on the field.

George O'leary could bring in Five 5*s a year at USC. That Program recruits itself
The vast majority of the top P5 programs recruit themselves though. There isn't a single program ranked in the top 15 in recruiting that hasn't won an AP national championship in the past 30 years. You can look up and down the rankings and it is basically ranking the prestige of the school. Yeah a coach may have a marginal impact of 5-10 spots one way or another, but all other things equal, top recruits are choosing the schools with the most prestige.

The vast majority of the top P5 programs recruit themselves though. There isn't a single program ranked in the top 15 in recruiting that hasn't won an AP national championship in the past 30 years. You can look up and down the rankings and it is basically ranking the prestige of the school. Yeah a coach may have a marginal impact of 5-10 spots one way or another, but all other things equal, top recruits are choosing the schools with the most prestige.
sort of but USC is on another level when it comes to recruiting itself.

Well, the point is valid but there are 4 teams in the 24/7 top 15 that haven't won a title in that timeframe.

Well, the point is valid but there are 4 teams in the 24/7 top 15 that haven't won a title in that timeframe.
Well was going off memory. I guess Georgia was 38 years ago, but they were just in the championship game and are a storied program. Penn State 32 years ago, but again a storied program that recruits itself. Not sure the other 2. Notre Dame 30 years ago, but another top program who was in the title game recently.

Heupel is so ugly, he came in 2nd in the Heisman voting. Everyone knows the Walter Camp award is for the ugliest great QB.

Lou Holtz was considered handsome by West Virginia, rural Indiana and Arkansas standards, so he was successful.
Bill Parcells was a plus sized model, so he slipped through the cracks.
Vince Lombardi was devastatingly handsome behind the glasses and under the goofy hat, so he doesn't count either.
And somehow Mike Leach's nerdishness won at TTU and Kliff Klingsbury's Ryan Gosling good looks couldn't get it done.

Good Knight, this is ridiculous. Give me a single piece of empirical data to suggest that this ludicrous hypothesis that head coach's looks has anything to do with success as a head coach. Not anecdotal. Empirical. Because the anecdotal reasons are the reasons why black men "couldn't play QB" or be "quality Head Coaches" for 80 years.

Of the Top 25 in Rankings only 7 have not won the championship in Modern Day era.
Oregon, Texas A&M, South Carolina, UCLA, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, & Miss. State

Georgia

Ohio State

USC

Texas

Penn State

Miami (FL)

Alabama

Clemson

Oklahoma

Florida State

Notre Dame

Auburn

LSU

Washington

Oregon

Texas A&M

UCLA

Florida

South Carolina

Tennessee

Nebraska

Virginia Tech

North Carolina

Mississippi State

Michigan

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Well was going off memory. I guess Georgia was 38 years ago, but they were just in the championship game and are a storied program. Penn State 32 years ago, but again a storied program that recruits itself. Not sure the other 2. Notre Dame 30 years ago, but another top program who was in the title game recently.
Oregon is the other one. I was thinking Notre dame was in 87 but either way it's close.

Maybe a better measure would be the teams who have won titles recently enough that recruits could have memory of. Thats a shallow pool for sure. 23 of the top 30 haven't won a championship that today's high school seniors would remember. Sheesh.

Heupel is so ugly, he came in 2nd in the Heisman voting. Everyone knows the Walter Camp award is for the ugliest great QB.

Lou Holtz was considered handsome by West Virginia, rural Indiana and Arkansas standards, so he was successful.
Vince Lombardi was devastatingly handsome behind the glasses and under the goofy hat, so he doesn't count either.
And somehow Mike Leach's nerdishness won at TTU and Kliff Klingsbury's Ryan Gosling good looks couldn't get it done.

Good Knight, this is ridiculous. Give me a single piece of empirical data to suggest that this ludicrous hypothesis that head coach's looks has anything to do with success as a head coach. Not anecdotal. Empirical. Because the anecdotal reasons are the reasons why black men "couldn't play QB" or be "quality Head Coaches" for 80 years.
So you’re not for a 1 Spray Tan a Month Compromise?

Reactions: NU_FTW
When Frost left, our recruiting cycle was screwed. Not only because recruits didn't know what to expect but the staff that went with him started hitting all the UCF contacts first.

Just wait until our 4 WR set starts lighting it up with Heupel and things will get on the right track again. Imagine 2 10.4 track stars out there with 2 other special WRs and the growth that we've seen in KZ continuing. We will rebound from this year. Yes it could be much better but it could of been much worse.

Didn't we have a few transfer out though? The RB, backup QB just to name 2. That's two spots that we could've filled. Not saying I'm disappointed in the class but saying we kept spots open for transfers makes no sense since you usually lose just as many as you bring in. I think we did really good with PWO's, anybody know if any previous ones got a scholarship for next year that might be more a reason why the class was small?
Not sure that 19 is considered a small class. Many successful programs recruited 19 or less this year including Clemson, 17. Others: USC 18, Alabama 19, Michigan 19, Stanford had only 15. If one only wishes to count mere numbers, which is not the real issue by the way, then we are in pretty good company with 19 recruits.

After 29 new scholarships last year including transfers, 19 is close to maxed out for this year. Believe there was space for 1 more.

Not sure that 19 is considered a small class. Many successful programs recruited 19 or less this year including Clemson, 17. Others: USC 18, Alabama 19, Michigan 19, Stanford had only 15. If one only wishes to count mere numbers, which is not the real issue by the way, then we are in pretty good company with 19 recruits.

I can't remember the last time we had as full class of 25, seems like since the sanctions years ago we've always been a little light.

I love how you named coaches that people remember after they got fat and old.

Reactions: NU_FTW
I love how you named coaches that people remember after they got fat and old.

I love how you think Lou Holtz was handsome and impressive when he was young or that Bill Parcells wasnt a big fat guy when he was winning Super Bowls or how Mike Leach at 40 wasn’t freaking goofy when he built Texas Tech.

The whole concept of a head coach’s ability to win (or inability to win) being predicated on his physical attractiveness is embarrassingly silly and not remotely based on any verifiable data or study. It is just born out of a desire to want to be associated with the handsome popular guy.

Show me one example...just one example...where a coaches failure or success was the result of their physical attractiveness. And it can’t be an assumption like, “players were impressed with Frostrunnign scout team”. It has be definitely due to physical appearance.

I love how you think Lou Holtz was handsome and impressive when he was young or that Bill Parcells wasnt a big fat guy when he was winning Super Bowls or how Mike Leach at 40 wasn’t freaking goofy when he built Texas Tech.

The whole concept of a head coach’s ability to win (or inability to win) being predicated on his physical attractiveness is embarrassingly silly and not remotely based on any verifiable data or study. It is just born out of a desire to want to be associated with the handsome popular guy.

Show me one example...just one example...where a coaches failure or success was the result of their physical attractiveness. And it can’t be an assumption like, “players were impressed with Frostrunnign scout team”. It has be definitely due to physical appearance.

You have an example here and in Gainesville.

There may be some truth that a fit coach can sell the importance of a strict nutritional program to his players better and that he may be PERCEIVED as more energetic and less lazy. However that’s where it ends

Some of the greatest offensive and defensive minds have been big, fat slobs. JH has little personality and is not Frost fit, nor does he have his looks/personality, but he comes across as having an extremely high football IQ and a very stable personality.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
There may be some truth that a fit coach can sell the importance of a strict nutritional program to his players better and that he may be PERCEIVED as more energetic and less lazy. However that’s where it ends

Some of the greatest offensive and defensive minds have been big, fat slobs. JH has little personality and is not Frost fit, nor does he have his looks/personality, but he comes across as having an extremely high football IQ and a very stable personality.
I hate to interrupt. I want UCF to continue to do well. I do. And I mean this with all do respect.

Josh Heupel was fired at Oklahoma for mediocre offense. His offense at OU we’re always around 6th in the conference and that was with the most talented team in the Big 12. Got picked up by Utah State but still never produced a good offense. Goes to Missouri where his offense struggles but have a couple good games and gets picked up by UCF.

I think Heupel can keep UCF winning 8-9 games a season. Especially with Randy Shannon on staff. But you guys are talking about JH like is he some offense guru. He is far from it. And I think Danny White could have done better. I wish he would have landed Sumlin. But I would really temper back your expectations and don’t get too heuped.

I hate to interrupt. I want UCF to continue to do well. I do. And I mean this with all do respect.

Josh Heupel was fired at Oklahoma for mediocre offense. His offense at OU we’re always around 6th in the conference and that was with the most talented team in the Big 12. Got picked up by Utah State but still never produced a good offense. Goes to Missouri where his offense struggles but have a couple good games and gets picked up by UCF.

I think Heupel can keep UCF winning 8-9 games a season. Especially with Randy Shannon on staff. But you guys are talking about JH like is he some offense guru. He is far from it. And I think Danny White could have done better. I wish he would have landed Sumlin. But I would really temper back your expectations and don’t get too heuped.
First of all, why are you still here?

Second of all, it was more than a few games. Additionally, there was major progression in his offense last year that was terrible to start the
season. They ended up 10th or so nationally playing in the SEC.

Lastly, UCF next year has more talent and greater disparities in competition than any of those past gigs. As far as Oklahoma, that was awhile ago and I’m not sure what his level of offensive playcalling and decision making truly were.

We are not winning 8 games next year, so stop with that ridiculous troll talk. Summerlin made 7-5 seasons the norm at Texas A & M and was fired for it.

You need to worry about your own 4-8 team that’s 0-0 and is staring at a minimum of 5 loses.

Let’s actually play some football in 2018 before you trash JH and crown Nobraska the beast of the cornfields

Again, come back when you make it to your CCG or win it. I’ll be the first to pat you on the back son.

Last edited:

Just for some facts. His offense actually never finished as low as 6th in the conference in his 4 years as OC. It finished between 3rd and 5th each year (Baylor was first every year I think). His offenses finished 5th, 12th, 53rd, and 22nd in the country respectively. I think he has grown as a coach since he left Oklahoma.

Fired before?

Bill Bellichick, Tony Dungy, John Gruden
Mack Brown, Texas
Phillip Fulmer, Tennessee
Bobby Bowden, Florida State
Larry Coker, Miami (FL)
Joe Paterno, Penn State

Some you Nebraska fans are going to be sorely disappointed when you watch UCF continue to win. UCF won long before Frost. Frost is a very good coach who will do well at Nebraska, but Heupel is going to do very well at UCF.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/best-college-football-coaches-who-have-been-fired.html/?a=viewall

Reactions: firm_bizzle

I talked to some Oklahoma fans about Heupel's tenure there. They said that the guy is almost too smart and he over complicates things. That's why they had trouble there. I have my eye on him this spring and will be at practice to see if that is true. If you see the players complaining (especially Milton) and a total out of sync offense this spring, it could be a very long year (6-6).

Sumlin's ego was too big to come to UCF. I think Candle would have been a great fit for the program. IMO, RS is the true HC and JH is just the OC.

Josh Heupel was fired at Oklahoma for mediocre offense.

Hey corn hole, you have been pissing in the wind way too long, so you stink really bad, you wreak. The reason CJH was fired from OK was because of the head coaches whiny brother, the DC....CJH's offense was sooo fast the mediocre D couldn't keep up and was failing. :pimp:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikesi
When Frost left, our recruiting cycle was screwed. Not only because recruits didn't know what to expect but the staff that went with him started hitting all the UCF contacts first.

The allegations just wont go away........

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT